E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Bad paint? Acceptable paint?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 01:15 PM

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts
2016 E350 Sport 2WD
Document every transaction, conversation, communication with this shop. Get the best possible pictures you can of the problem areas. File a complaint with the BBB in his area, even if he isn't a BBB member. If no movement on his part, you may need an attorney to convince him to do the right thing. It will get expensive if it goes beyond this point, attorney, expert witness, etc.

This shop is NOT a good shop. Don't let them hoodwink you. Be rational and calm, but be firm.
The following users liked this post:
TeeEl (06-11-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 01:48 PM

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
2013 E550 4MATIC - P1, P2, SPORT
Originally Posted by Mud
A very generalized overview of the paint application is surface prep/de-grease, primer/sealer, base color coat, clearcoat.
Primer is wet-sanded before color coat. No sanding on color coat. Wet-sanding on clearcoat followed by buffing with proper compounds to first smooth out the surface and then eliminate swirls. Note that the more the clearcoat is worked, the more of it is removed. A good shop knows how much they will remove to get to a final smooth protective layer.
Thanks for the info on that. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they were cutting corners on the work.

Originally Posted by KEY08
^ And they need to be laying this down in a paint booth. I can see from your video they are spraying in a garage. All kinds of debris floats around in that hack setup.
Yeah, they have some paint booths, and some garages where they paint apparently. I agree, definitely shouldn't be painting in a garage, and not with the ****ing doors open to let all the debris blow in.

Originally Posted by Sunnyslope48
Document every transaction, conversation, communication with this shop. Get the best possible pictures you can of the problem areas. File a complaint with the BBB in his area, even if he isn't a BBB member. If no movement on his part, you may need an attorney to convince him to do the right thing. It will get expensive if it goes beyond this point, attorney, expert witness, etc.

This shop is NOT a good shop. Don't let them hoodwink you. Be rational and calm, but be firm.
Hoodwink. I get it. I'm not sure if I want to go through the BBB, BAR, or just try to initiate a chargeback with my CC. Lastly I can handle it in small claims court too.

Everyone will like this... he actually had the gall to suggest I get the car detailed because it "helps to remove those swirls". Are you ****ing kidding me!?

Last edited by TeeEl; 06-10-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:32 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 341 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
I can say that at least around here (TX) the BBB is essentially toothless and has zero power over a business. From what you're saying I really don't think this shop is going to correct the hood properly.

If you are thinking to seek legal resolution, consider first taking the car to another shop to evaluate the condition and to give you an estimate to correct. This is before you deal further with the current shop. This gives you a professional perspective and info that a small claims court will acknowledge. Including your clear documentation of events and photos of conditions.

I've painted many vehicles and assorted trailers, jetskis, all kinds of stuff. I do not believe that the work can be corrected without a repaint. Famous last words " if it was me" I would notify the shop that I'm having the work repaired/documented at another shop and billing them through small claims. You have already tried twice for resolution. At that point the shop will sometimes agree to try again but if not be prepared to present your case. A professional shop is assumed to be able to do professional work.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 648 Likes on 403 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
That’s crap! What I’ve come to learn about these small businesses - social media rules over all other forms of retribution. I had a contractor screw up a simple patio door install so badly that I lit them up on Angie’s List. End of the day (well, by the end of the week), they wanted to buy my review of their services for $800.
I posted on Yelp (and on here too I believe) about a crappy MB dealership I caught lying to me about fixing two bent rims (and charging the warranty company for the work). I complained to MB Corp, and alerted the warranty company they had been ripped off. I got nothing from either. But I lit that dealership up on Yelp, which caused an apology by the GM and an offer for free whatever service I wanted to give them a second chance.

My opinion - I would insist on a full refund here, demand it. And when they complain about it - ask them which one they think will cost them more - the refund or that picture of your high end German sedan as an example of their quality of work floating around on every social media site there is... the shop manager might not care, but I bet the shop OWNER will certainly care! Find the owner, go to them only. Not the guy hired to run the shop day to day.

Here’s another. A certain nation chain tire store. 2017, thanksgiving, NC. Drove the family booger bucket (2013 Toyota Highlander) down from DC to family in NC. Wife’s car. Could be in fire and she’d probably say all was fine. It was a 225 mile vibrating and pulling road trip (totally out of balance and alignment). Clearly a Costco parking lot victim. Anyway, before making the trip back, I took it to a, let’s call them Mr. X, franchise chain. Rotate, balance, align. I watched football in the waiting room as I waited. Then I watched technician weedman pull out the car from the bay and take it on his quality check test drive. As the sales guy came out to tell me it’s all done, is when I saw the front passenger wheel go flying down the road at 45mph along with the fender and bumper. I responded “I’m not thinking you’re correct on that one amigo”. They tried to get their country bumpkin cousin (you know, the tv repair man with a *****en set of tools from Ridgemont High) to fix it. End of the day, an email directly to the CEO, CFO, COO and chairman of the board (they’re a publicly traded company) with one picture and the threat of it being floated all over social media - resulted in the booger bucket being loaded on a flatbed truck, driven 225 miles to the Toyota dealership near our home, fixed exclusively by Toyota, plus a check for $5,000 due diminished value. Bubba figured $500 and for me to pick it up next time we were there. Ended up closer to $12,000 and bubba working at Crispy Creme instead...

social media rules the service sector, use it!

Last edited by nc211; 06-10-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by nc211
That’s crap! What I’ve come to learn about these small businesses - social media rules over all other forms of retribution. I had a contractor screw up a simple patio door install so badly that I lit them up on Angie’s List. End of the day (well, by the end of the week), they wanted to buy my review of their services for $800.
I posted on Yelp (and on here too I believe) about a crappy MB dealership I caught lying to me about fixing two bent rims (and charging the warranty company for the work). I complained to MB Corp, and alerted the warranty company they had been ripped off. I got nothing from either. But I lit that dealership up on Yelp, which caused an apology by the GM and an offer for free whatever service I wanted to give them a second chance.
Yup. I'll be lighting him up on Yelp and Google reviews for certain. I'm going to look into where else I can leave a review as well. I might even report them to the BAR just so they have something on record should another customer have an issue. He has the car right now (*cringe*) but I told him that he said he guarantees his work, and I would personally be ashamed to put out work like that. He said he'll repaint it... but we'll see.

And holy crap man, that's a hell of a story. Front wheel went flying off? Thank God you and the booger family weren't in there and on the highway when it happened.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 648 Likes on 403 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
Here are two photos of what happened! One is them trying to get it off the road after they found the wheel about 200 yards away in an RV dealership lot, and the other is what it looked like the night it was delivered to our Toyota dealership near our home back in DC. Could’ve killed someone easily, not just us but anyone who could’ve been hit by the wheel. Total mess. They wanted to take the cheap way out - threat of social media put them back on the right course of action. I can’t show the other pictures because of company name in them...

This was 25k miles ago. Car just rolled over 105k miles last week. Thing still drives like new. Can’t kill it, and with two little kids - easy cleanup with a leaf blower, 409, and Lysol spray.. Cockroaches will be driving Highlander’s long after we’ve nuked ourselves off the planet..

Last edited by nc211; 06-11-2019 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:07 AM

Damn man... that's nuts. I can't imagine how a "professional" shop allows that to happen. Complacency?
Old 06-11-2019, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 129 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Look, forget wasting time with the BBB, etc. This is a perfect case to take to small claims court. That is what it's intention is meant to be. I would never, under any circumstances, take my car back to them again. Three strikes and your out. Go to small claims; with your photos and documentation from a legitimate paint place, you could recover your cost plus damages done to your car. Take that extra money, and go to another pro to paint it right.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by rustybear3
Look, forget wasting time with the BBB, etc. This is a perfect case to take to small claims court. That is what it's intention is meant to be.
Yup, that's going to be my next step I think. The BAR and small claims. The downside is that small claims can take two months and I don't want to cruise around with that ****ty paint for two months. I'll have an update probably next week... we'll see how everything turns out.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:27 PM

Got the car back. I'm too burned out to write a whole review here,so I'll just copy/paste my Yelp review here:

Spoiler

So, as the review mentions, the car was returned sans a screw for the front license plate frame. Anyone happen to know what screw I can pick up to replace it? Driving around with a crooked, custom plate makes me feel like a goddamn moron.

Last edited by TeeEl; 06-18-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:01 PM

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic sedan
Just drive to Home Depot, take the other screw out, and take it in the store. You should be able to get the exact size there if you match it up.

And sorry about all the trouble with this paint job.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by pb39374
Just drive to Home Depot, take the other screw out, and take it in the store. You should be able to get the exact size there if you match it up.

And sorry about all the trouble with this paint job.
True, I just don't keep a screwdriver in my car and I was planning to go after work. I guess I could just turn it into a two day endeavor. Or go there, buy a screwdriver, take the other one out, buy the new screw, screw them both back in, and return the screwdriver. Hahaha. I'll take care of it, was just hoping someone would know.