Sliding Sunroof Cover for Panorama Roof Malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 10:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Sliding Sunroof Cover for Panorama Roof Malfunction

Hi Guys,

I have a panorama roof on my E350... which means that I have an all glass Sun Roof that has a mesh cover screen that I can open or close with a push of the Sunroof open/close button. Ive attached a picture for reference of what Im talking about. However, over the winter, the mesh screen cover stopped working... i think the mesh screen part came off the "tracks" that open and close the screen cover... because I can still hear the motor opening/closing the screen, but the screen just stays put.

However, if I "open" the mesh screen, and then if I press "open" again, my sunroof DOES open. However, when I close the sunroof, and then try to close the mesh screen cover... all i hear is the motor running trying to close the screen cover.. but it doesnt catch the screen and just goes through the motions of the motor as if its closing... but like I said... the screen just stays immobile.

Has anyone else had any experience with this? Is there any simple fix to this? It literally just seems like the mesh screen just got loosened off the "track" that opens and closes this mesh screen in the first place. I took it to the dealer and they quoted me around $800 bucks to fix this issue. My car is a 2010 E350 4matic, so its obviously out of warranty. I do not want to put any more money into this thing. I really feel like its just not on the track/motor that opens and closes the screen any more! I can hear the motor and track moving... so strange. Even weirder, I can open and close the mesh screen manually, but it wont stay shut and just coils back into its normal resting state.

As you guys may be aware, its summer now and I have black leather seats... and it gets EXTREMELY hot. I would love to get this fixed, without paying $800. Anyone have any suggestions? Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

This is the mesh screen cover Im referring to. This wont open and close any more. I can manually shut it, but it wont stay shut as it is spring loaded and just springs back to "open" state.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 129 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Go to an Indy shop and have them give you a quote....I'm sure it would be cheaper.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:51 AM

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic sedan

check out this video that shows how to manually open the sunroof. There are two mechanisms underneath the black cover above the rear view mirror. One is to manually open/close the sunroof and the other is for the screen. I would try to play around with the one for the screen to see if that corrects your problem.