Vibration when braking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 07:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
13' E350, Model 3 Per., 997.1 GT3
Vibration when braking

Hey all,

I have a 2013 mercedes benz e350 4matic (~70k miles, original owner), and I've recently been noticing that when slowing down for a stop, lets say red light from 45mph, the steering wheel and the pedal has a vibrating feel. Do you guys think that the brake rotors are warped? This vibration feeling is especially noticeable when slowing down when going downhill, as I live in a place where I have to drive downhill to work everyday.

Thanks in advance!

*also another weird thing is that a couple weeks ago, there was a vibration (more severe), so I pulled over and checked the wheels. Apparently, the nuts (all 5) on the front left wheel were loosened a bit. Do you know if this had to do with my case?*
Old 06-30-2019, 05:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Sounds like the rotors are warped. Did the vibration get better after tightening the screws?
Old 06-30-2019, 11:24 AM

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts
2016 E350 Sport 2WD
PV, one of the nicest places on earth to live and to enjoy in a heavily populated area, such as the Los Angeles basin. Plenty of roads for a nice motorcycle ride or a top down ride in the car after the fog clears. I just loved living in Redondo Beach and experienced PV many, many times.
Now on to the problem. The only way to know what is going on with your car would be to jack it up, rotate your wheels, one by one, and see if the rotor runs true or if it has lateral runout. My preferred method would be to use a dial caliper to see what the runout is, but that might not be necessary if it is quite large. Another method would be to just buy a new rotor, install it, and see if the vibration goes away or changes substantially. If little change, remove it and install on another wheel, see what happens there. Start on the front. If you find that the new rotor makes a substantial difference, buy another rotor for the other side.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by pamiboy
Sounds like the rotors are warped. Did the vibration get better after tightening the screws?
Yes, there were vibrations after tightening the screws. The vibration is the worst when slowing down at around 20-25 mph.

I checked my Mercedes service records last night, and found that I made a similar complaint when the car was around 34,000 miles, and told the dealer during the 40,000 service. The dealer found warped front rotors and they were replaced under warranty. But I find it strange for the rotors to keep on getting warped, as isn't warped rotors not that common?
Old 06-30-2019, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sunnyslope48
PV, one of the nicest places on earth to live and to enjoy in a heavily populated area, such as the Los Angeles basin. Plenty of roads for a nice motorcycle ride or a top down ride in the car after the fog clears. I just loved living in Redondo Beach and experienced PV many, many times.
Now on to the problem. The only way to know what is going on with your car would be to jack it up, rotate your wheels, one by one, and see if the rotor runs true or if it has lateral runout. My preferred method would be to use a dial caliper to see what the runout is, but that might not be necessary if it is quite large. Another method would be to just buy a new rotor, install it, and see if the vibration goes away or changes substantially. If little change, remove it and install on another wheel, see what happens there. Start on the front. If you find that the new rotor makes a substantial difference, buy another rotor for the other side.
Haha, PV does have some great roads, especially the switch backs near San Pedro, or the "PV dragstrip" straightaway in front of Golden Cove. I think the whole South Bay in general, especially the beach cities, are great places to live. Not too hot in the summer like East LA, perfect weather.

I will check the brake discs and wheels for play later today, thanks.