E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Need some advise.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2019 | 01:52 PM

2016 MBZ E350
Need some advise.

Hello everyone,

I have this small problem with my vehicle. On May of this year I traded in my vehicle for a 2016 E350 CPO and I've been having a noise issue since I drove the vehicle off the lot. I called the dealership where I purchased the vehicle and they asked me to bring it back to them so they could take care of the issue for me. The noise was coming from the right front of the vehicle and sounded like a wheel bearing to me. I went to the dealer, a tech went on a road test with me and heard the noise and agreed it sounded like a wheel bearing. I left the vehicle, 3 days later I get a call my vehicle is done. I pick up the vehicle and as soon as I get on the highway, the noise is still present. I called them back and found out they had replaced the left front wheel bearing (or at least that's what they say) and wanted me to bring the car back to them. I declined and told them I would take the care to a dealership closer to me, since they are 1.5 hr drive away from me on a good day without traffic. I took the vehicle to the other dealership (the dealership where I bought my car and the one closer to me are own by the same company) went on a test drive with another tech and he verified the noise issue. Fast forward 5 days later and I get a call that my vehicle is ready. They said the issue was with the right front wheel bearing and they had replaced it under warranty. I drove off, everything is good and 1 week later, I hear the same noise. Called them back, they rescheduled me to come back in and drop off my vehicle. 2 weeks later, again I get a call and they explained to me they believed it was the tires this time and swapped them out with another set and that the noise was still there and upon further inspection they found the previous tech that worked on the wheel bearing didn't adjust them properly. I get my car back and everything is good, 2 weeks later, the same issue again. I call the dealer and once more bring my vehicle back to them. I get a call back the same day and they tell me that my front tires are cupping and that's what is causing the noise (keep in mind they told me before that the tires were not an issue) and they recommend replacing them and front wheel alignment. I decline, I pick up the vehicle and had a friend that owns a Mercedes shop swap the wheels and tires out with the same make and model the next day and the noise is still there. Obviously the tires were not the problem and after 4 visits to the dealer I'm just exhausted and personally don't want to deal with them anymore. Would everyone recommend calling Mercedes of America and filling a complaint with them? or what would you guys do at this point?
Old 08-12-2019 | 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Sounds like Regional Service Manager or Corporate Customer Service Manager time to me... Look at MBUSA for a phone number.
Old 08-14-2019 | 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
How are your brakes? Any shimmy in them at all? Since you’ve tried with new wheels and tires (hence answers bent rim idea), my opinion is leaning towards slightly warped rotors, a common issue for genuine oe rotors.

Two years ago after getting my bent rims fixed, I still had low humming noise in the front. I replaced my rotors and pad with genuine mb parts - noise totally gone.

Have since had rims fixed yet again, and noise is coming back - but so is that everso slight shimmy in my braking.

My thoughts - the design of these brakes lacks a separator spring arrangement for the pads on the rotors, meaning they’re always in contact. If the rotor is warped in any way, I suspect the pads will rattle as well since they’re skimming across the rotor. I’m going to replace my rotors again soon and see if that fixes it again, but this time NOT MB parts! Mine lasted about 15,000 miles before starting to warp.
Old 08-14-2019 | 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E400 Sedan
is it a 4 matic?

HOw did it sound?
Any difference when you turn left or right?
Any changes in noise when Speed changes?