E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

e550 2010 Passenger Side Oil burning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 02:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w212 e550
e550 2010 Passenger Side Oil burning

Recently, ive noticed some smoke coming from the front of the passenger side, emitting from the headlight area.

i did some research and found that it could be the valve cover, but the forum said that there should be oil on both the left and the right side of the valve cover, but for me its only on the left side of the car( passsenger side). and i looked into the engine bay and it looked like there was some oil on the passenger side valve cover.

the car has about 185,000 km, and ive never really had this issue with the car, but it becomes more noticable in the cold for it physically has smoke emitting from the car.

also a little ticking sound can be heard, but very little, you have to have your ear next to the front of the car.

I would really appreiciate any suggestions.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (11-04-2022)
Old 10-03-2019, 06:14 AM

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
That's definitely not normal. Get in there and take a few pictures. Remove the front half cover (the one with the MB logo on it) and then for the back push the wire snap back to release the rear part of the top engine cover. After that it's just a matter of pulling the cover upwards, it's held in by some rubber mounts/metal snaps.
Now you'll have access to the entire top side of the cam covers and you might be able to see where your leak is coming from. If it's too messy (not Lionel) in there you might want to clean the area and wait to see where the fresh oil is coming from.
biker349 (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 01:11 PM

2010 mercedes e550 4matic
Smoke emitting from headlight

Originally Posted by paulums
Recently, ive noticed some smoke coming from the front of the passenger side, emitting from the headlight area.

i did some research and found that it could be the valve cover, but the forum said that there should be oil on both the left and the right side of the valve cover, but for me its only on the left side of the car( passsenger side). and i looked into the engine bay and it looked like there was some oil on the passenger side valve cover.

the car has about 185,000 km, and ive never really had this issue with the car, but it becomes more noticable in the cold for it physically has smoke emitting from the car.

also a little ticking sound can be heard, but very little, you have to have your ear next to the front of the car.

did you ever fix the problem if so what is it I ram my car over 130 last night and I’m having the same problem u have
biker349 (11-04-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 10:31 PM

2010 mercedes e550 4matic
Need help

Originally Posted by paulums

I’ve messaged once about the problem your having by any chance did you fix this problem I would like to know what was the problem Thanks In advance
Old 12-19-2022, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,325 Likes on 907 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4
best way to track down oil leaks is to remove any excess plastic, clean the engine, then add a bottle of fluorescent oil dye, drive it a few miles, and use a UV flashlight (in the dark) to find the source of the leaks. I realize with the big plastic air intake manifold used on these V engines, thats not so easy.