E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Hissing Noise Under Dash-E350-Discussing the Solutions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 01:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E350
Hissing Noise Under Dash-E350-Discussing the Solutions

Guys, it is a while that I hear hissing noise under dash of my 2010 E350. I've read hundreds of threads and webpages and I want to share with you the summary of my findings and also ask you to help me to pick one of the potential options:
  • It seems the issue is caused by a failing seal at the top of the brake booster. MB doesn't sell the part separately and they suggest to change the whole booster. (I showed it to a couple of European car mechanics and they were not super positive about the suggested solutions in the internet. They believe that the noise comes from an internal seal in the booster and no matter what, booster should be changed.)
  • Here are the potential solutions:
    1. Temporary fix by using two zip ties and a plastic part to reseal the failed part.
    2. For 2010-2013 models, the seal can be purchased from URO. The part costs around $30 and today it got available again in Rockauto. Some threads claim that the part can be changed without removing the booster, like
      or change the servo seal after removing the booster as it is shown
      . I am not sure if I can change that part without removing the booster. the space is super tight. On the other hand removing the booster costs me $300.
    3. Buying a used booster from Scrap yard. I found one from a 2011 E350 with 175km on it. with 60 days warranty they sell it for $120, with 3 years warranty it costs me $175. This option will be + $300 labour of removing the brake booster.
    4. Buying a new after market booster which costs me from $200-$450. There are different brands like ATE, CARDONE and... I've heard most of after market boosters won't feel like MB booster.
    5. Buying MB booster, my vendor quoted me $750 for MB booster, the dealer sells the same part for ~$1000.
So, please let me know what do you suggest, if I dont want to spend too much money on this issue, but also not to waste my money on a solution that doesnt work/or fails in near future. The problem with this issue is the fact that removing the booster is an expensive task and I can not iterate different solutions and check the result.

Any comment is appreciated...

**all costs are Canadian $.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E350
Someone respond please 😁
Old 12-31-2023, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E300
I have same issue now, still don't know what's going on, same knowledge from internet.
How much did you pay for your brake booster ?
Old 01-01-2024, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 733 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Given the cost of the labor and that it is part of your braking system, I don't think that you want to screw around with a non Mercedes part.