E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Nav Integration...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 12:37 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 E400
Nav Integration...

As we're coming up on 2020 model years, just wondering if manufacturers finally allow us drivers to fully integrate cell phone technologies onto the Nav screen without purchasing their expensive built in Navigation.
Currently all my vehicles upon startup, recognize via bluetooth my cellphone & music files. It would be wonderful if when I hit the Nav button, it also recognizes that I want to use the always updated Google Map or Wave or whatever future program I set as default map program, instead of factory's built in Nav. All this is auto connected, while phone stays/remains in my cell phone holster on my body (or wife's phone stays in her purse), without us having to physical takes out phone & connect to USB wire, etc.
Both of our kids' latest vehicle purchases demands Apple Play/Android Auto features only & no built-in Nav option. But they still have to plug in a USB wire.
So does today's 2020 & beyond vehicles offer same technology via bluetooth, without physical wire connection?
Thanks,
Old 12-18-2019, 01:01 PM

Received 181 Likes on 112 Posts
2016 E350 Sport; Mom Wrecked the 2008 E350; sold the 2002 C320
I know there are several car manufacturers that have already integrated this (i.e., Wireless Android Auto). However Mercedes being notorious for being way behind with onboard entertainment technology, I wouldn't hold my breath

When I bought my 2016 W212 I asked what's up with not having a touch screen option and their answer was "Mercedes says it's a safety issue "
Old 12-18-2019, 01:41 PM

Received 319 Likes on 248 Posts
2023 EQB 350 & 2014 GL350
Originally Posted by NickTH
As we're coming up on 2020 model years, just wondering if manufacturers finally allow us drivers to fully integrate cell phone technologies onto the Nav screen without purchasing their expensive built in Navigation.
Currently all my vehicles upon startup, recognize via bluetooth my cellphone & music files. It would be wonderful if when I hit the Nav button, it also recognizes that I want to use the always updated Google Map or Wave or whatever future program I set as default map program, instead of factory's built in Nav. All this is auto connected, while phone stays/remains in my cell phone holster on my body (or wife's phone stays in her purse), without us having to physical takes out phone & connect to USB wire, etc.
Both of our kids' latest vehicle purchases demands Apple Play/Android Auto features only & no built-in Nav option. But they still have to plug in a USB wire.
So does today's 2020 & beyond vehicles offer same technology via bluetooth, without physical wire connection?
Thanks,
What you are describing now exists and is called wireless CarPlay (Apple) or Android Auto (Google).

The initial phone-to-car connection is made via Bluetooth which then instructs the phone to automagically switch to a private in-vehicle Wi-Fi network. (Wi-Fi provides a better connection between the phone and car.) The downside to not being wired is the phone uses more power while running the navigation software and providing the on-screen interface. Thus, you’ll probably want to plug it in on a long drive anyway.

And yes, wireless CarPlay is coming, or is already here (depending on vehicle), on new cars using the latest Mercedes MBUX interface.

As an aside, there are now several of us using an aftermarket wireless CarPlay/Android Auto add-on hardware module in our W212s which displays the interface on the existing MB Comand screen.

Wireless CarPlay on 2014 W212 E350

Last edited by cadetdrivr; 12-18-2019 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Typos, added photo
The following users liked this post:
NickTH (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 04:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 E400
Great.
Thanks for the info.
Guess we'll look for wireless CarPlay/AA feature on our next car purchase.
Also, look for integrated wireless charging pad, without wires...
Old 12-20-2019, 05:03 PM
fc3

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 E400 Sedan, 2018 E400 Cabriolet
Wireless CarPlay is a significantly more difficult programming integration that wired, which is why it's still rather rare. On the other hand, the 2019 E300 that I've been driving does have wireless charging, but since I had my iPhone plugged in, it didn't matter.

There's still a place for the built-in Nav systems. My wife was out in the sticks and found herself without cell service several times. She had to backtrack until she had a signal and start the navigation program on her phone. Smartphone navigation can tolerate cell dropouts as the route is stored, until you blow a turn or take a detour. Then it needs to contact the servers again. If that occurs in a location without cellular service, you're backtracking, again.