E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

lock doors while engine running?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E550 4Matic
lock doors while engine running?

Hi All -- apologies if this has been asked and answered.

I have a 2010 E550 with Keyless Go. Is there no way to lock this car while leaving the engine running? (Like if I want to warm it up in the winter.)
If I start it and get out of the car, the remote will not lock the car, nor will the touch handles.
I feel like I'm missing something, because the car obviously detects that the key isn't inside the car (It shows the key not detected warning on the dash) -- so why can't I lock the car?

Thanks for any tips...
Old 12-19-2019, 05:53 PM

Received 181 Likes on 112 Posts
2016 E350 Sport; Mom Wrecked the 2008 E350; sold the 2002 C320
I have no idea and have no answer for your question. However, instead of starting the car normally, have you attempted to remote start it with the Mercedes me app without opening the car first?

[EDIT] Never mind - I thought Mercedes me had a remote start feature but it appears it's only to lock/unlock and activate lights & horn

Last edited by EuroDriverSD; 12-19-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:34 PM

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
12 C200, 12 C180, 10 Fuso Warrior crew cab, 08 RTV ute, 05 Smart Fortwo cabrio, 09 Smart Fortwo
Taken from a post by a Member Polar bear

An embarrassing admission on my part - I was allowing my S600 to warm up before I was prepping to leave on a 300 mile journey, and started the vehicle and thought I removed the blade from the key. I opened the driver door and manually locked the front and rear passenger side doors and from the outside closed the driver front door and left the rear driver door open. Through the rear door, I locked the driver door front door and the rear door as I expected to be away from the vehicle for a few minutes with it not in my sight and did not feel safe with it running. This is something I have done on many occasions, but not without a spare key with me and no blade key. I looked inside the car and the blade was still in the SmartKey laying on he center console as it was started with Keyless-Go. So there I was with my car running and the only key I had locked in it and no way to turn it off. I even went online and quickly subscribed to mbrace in hopes that they could remotely unlock it but that is apparently ineffective if the ignition is on. I called Roadside Assistance and they sent a locksmith out who also used the inflatable devices in the extreme corners of the door that is most flexible, and was able to unlock it without much problem in a matter of minutes and since it was Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assistance that dispatched the locksmith, it didn't cost me a dime, other than my pride!
Old 12-19-2019, 06:40 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
2013 SL550, 2016 GLE350, 2016 GLC300
Talking

Originally Posted by CmdrKeen
Hi All -- apologies if this has been asked and answered.

I have a 2010 E550 with Keyless Go. Is there no way to lock this car while leaving the engine running? (Like if I want to warm it up in the winter.)
If I start it and get out of the car, the remote will not lock the car, nor will the touch handles.
I feel like I'm missing something, because the car obviously detects that the key isn't inside the car (It shows the key not detected warning on the dash) -- so why can't I lock the car?

Thanks for any tips...
Hi CmdrKeen -
A Smartkey Starter remote starter kit from us at Mid City Engineering would solve your problem very quickly and easily. THIS is the kit that you would need for your vehicle, and right now, we're also running a little holiday sale -- enter coupon code FORUM5 for a small discount and free ground shipping if you order through our webshop.
Please call us / message us on our website's chat app during business hours to have any additional questions answered. We're happy to help!
Take a look at that link to see all the product features -- we think you'll be happy you did.