E350 Tire help: PS4S vs. ExtremeContact Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 10:24 AM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350
E350 Tire help: PS4S vs. ExtremeContact Sport

Hey everyone,
I have a 2012 E350 sport with the staggered wheels and need new tires next month. Wondering have any of you had experience with the PS4C/PSS or extremecontact sport and their opinions on which to pick as i'll buy either of them.

I'm currently running DWS06 and love them but looking to go with the summer tires now as temps don't dip much anymore and want the extra grip. Cost isn't a factor i just want to know your opinions on how they're running on your cars.

thanks!
Old 01-16-2020, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
I don't have experience with PS4C but have ran DWS06 and ExtremeContact DW (which I think is the same tire you're referring to, a high performance summer) and I didn't find those to be a worthwhile trade for the DWS. They lasted much less time, too.

The following 2 users liked this post by LILBENZ230:
pierrejoliat (01-19-2020), Sarang (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 10:40 AM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
2012 E350 sedan
Extreme Contact DW is not the same tire as the Contact Sport. Contact Sport is a better performing tire. The DW is an excellent tire too.
For years the Michelin Pilot Super Sport was the best summer UHP tire on the market according to reviews by car magazines and Tire Rack Testing. The DW came in second and was considered a good bang for the buck as it was significantly cheaper than the PSS. The PSS was replaced by the even better PS4S. The PS4S was tested by car magazines and Tire Rack testing to be better than the PSS and the Extreme Contact Sport. The Extreme Contact performance on dry road is now as good as the PSS but not the PS4S. Also, the usual price of the Extreme Contact is not significantly different than the PS4S. However, the Continental Tires have slightly better wet road performance if the ultimate in wet road performance is important to you. You can read test performance details on the Tire Rack web site (read the TR tests, not the user reviews).
I've run PSS on my Audi TT for years and loved them. I'm now running PS4S and think they are the best tires I have ever owned. However, the PSS and PS4S are 15-20k mile tires, even with religious rotation. All season tires are at least double that, so performance has a price. I don't track my TT but I am a spirited driver and most of my mileage is freeway. Unlike the PSS, the PS4S has a 30K warranty and that has made replacement much less expensive.

Having said all that, I consider my 2012 E350 Sport a cruiser and think that all season tires are more than satisfactory for that car. Yeah, cornering would be better with UHP summers but it is infrequent that I would use that ability.
I have no experience with cup tires but think they would be overkill for street use.

Last edited by VegasE; 01-17-2020 at 10:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sarang (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 12:10 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350
Originally Posted by VegasE
Extreme Contact DW is not the same tire as the Contact Sport. Contact Sport is a better performing tire. The DW is an excellent tire too.
For years the Michelin Pilot Super Sport was the best summer UHP tire on the market according to reviews by car magazines and Tire Rack Testing. The DW came in second and was considered a good bang for the buck as it was significantly cheaper than the PSS. The PSS was replaced by the even better PS4S. The PS4S was tested by car magazines and Tire Rack testing to be better than the PSS and the Extreme Contact Sport. The Extreme Contact performance on dry road is now as good as the PSS but not the PS4S. Also, the usual price of the Extreme Contact is not significantly different than the PS4S. However, the Continental Tires have slightly better wet road performance if the ultimate in wet road performance is important to you. You can read test performance details on the Tire Rack web site (read the TR tests, not the user reviews).
I've run PSS on my Audi TT for years and loved them. I'm now running PS4S and think they are the best tires I have ever owned. However, the PSS and PS4S are 15-20k mile tires, even with religious rotation. All season tires are at least double that, so performance has a price. I don't track my TT but I am a spirited driver and most of my mileage is freeway. Unlike the PSS, the PS4S has a 30K warranty and that has made replacement much less expensive.

Having said all that, I consider my 2012 E350 Sport a cruiser and think that all season tires are more than satisfactory for that car. Yeah, cornering would be better with UHP summers but it is infrequent that I would use that ability.
I have no experience with cup tires but think they would be overkill for street use.
oh yeah i love it as my cruiser as well, but don't know if i'll get a sports car soon or not so i want to drive the boat as sporty with it as i can for now . the treadwear on the DWS06 has been great with rears getting about 25k where my OEM contiprocontact got only 15k.

really great write up from you both thanks again.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:38 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
2003 W203 C230, 2016 S212 E350, 2017 Panamera Turbo, 2018 SQ5
If money is not a factor, get the PS4. It's the best street legal tire money can buy. It does everything well in the dry and really stands out in the wet. Best handling, best stopping, best everything. It also rides better than most (but not all) so called all season or comfort oriented touring tires. And since the PSS days, the tire wear on Pilot Sport series has improved significantly it is no longer an issue. I remember having to replace a set of original PS and then PS2 every 10k miles about 15-20 years ago But my last set of PSS lasted almost 30k just as long as I've had some all season tires.

The only thing PS4 can't do is obviously snow.

Last edited by bzcat; 01-17-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Sarang (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 04:09 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan
Originally Posted by Sarang
Hey everyone,
I have a 2012 E350 sport with the staggered wheels and need new tires next month. Wondering have any of you had experience with the PS4C/PSS or extremecontact sport and their opinions on which to pick as i'll buy either of them.

I'm currently running DWS06 and love them but looking to go with the summer tires now as temps don't dip much anymore and want the extra grip. Cost isn't a factor i just want to know your opinions on how they're running on your cars.

thanks!
I have staggered wheels and am running Conti extreme contact sport. They are quiet and smooth. Wear life is not an issue for me,so cant speak to that issue.
Sarang (01-17-2020)