E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Mystery over heat after intake manifold replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 Wagon
Mystery over heat after intake manifold replacement

So, my vehicle needed a new intake manifold. I swapped it out and am no longer getting the appropriate codes for that. But now, I'm definitely seeing my vehicle is overheating. For example, before I did the replacement I NEVER got passed 80C. But now, I get to the white line just before the red line by the time I get to work(an 18 minute drive that is mostly freeway) And the fan kicks on too. My mileage is good, but I'm not getting a check engine light and I'm also not seeing any thermostat/temp sensor related codes when I scan it. And in addition, I've noticed that the RPM's can fluctuate slightly after starting the vehicle up again from a cold start, but those rpm fluctuations fade when higher rpm's are achieved.

Again, all of these things happened after I completely swapped out my air intake manifold with a brand new one from FCP euro. I've also checked the coolant level which is acceptable, and when I unscrew the cap with a cool engine I can hear the "pssssst" of the pressure in the system. I see no leaks either. Also, please note that all this overheating is taking place in a Michigan Winter...so this makes no sense at all. I'd really appreciate any feedback or ideas about this. I drove this car from Chicago to Michigan with the busted air intake manifold lever arm, but had no heating issues. This is so out of the blue.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:43 PM

Received 98 Likes on 67 Posts
2016 E350 Sport 2WD
Did you replace any gaskets that touched the coolant? Maybe flip flopped a gasket and blocked a water passage? Or even the wrong gasket? I've never looked at the internals and do not know if the coolant goes into the intake manifold or not. On many (maybe even most) cars, it does. And if you're not careful when placing the gasket(s), you could end up with a problem just like you are describing.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 914 Likes on 652 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Check your thermostat.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:40 PM

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
'76 Triumph TR6, '14 W212 Sport, '09 Audi S5 4.2
Is the system bled with no air pockets at all?