E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Exhaust changes, car raspy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e350
Question Exhaust changes, car raspy

So I'm new to the car scene. I have a 2010 e350 seden and I wanted to spice it up so I decided to do some deletes. I did a lot of research and a lot of peolpe on this fourm did a resonator delete, which is what I decided to go with. I took it to the shop and had the res delete for 200$ and it literally sounded the exact same. No change. I was dissapointed so then the shop guy recommded I do a muffler delete ( iI read it makes car really loud so I didn't really want to do it) but there was no change from the res so I decided to do a muffler delete as well. I was going to delete a 2ndary cat but the shop told me my car has "2" small resonators, not "cats". But he said removing them won't make a significant change either. Anyways, so yeah my car is REALLY loud lmfao, i guess I'm not used to it because I was used to the classy quiet ride. I like it though, it sounds like a sports car ( I know a v6 won't sound like a v8 blah blah). The only issue is that long-drives, It gets annoying on the ear ( drone m guessing) and when i full throttle it, I get a lot of rasp, which sounds horrible.

What would you guys recommend I do. I spent $200 on res delete and 160$ on muffler delete, I was thinking put stock res back in ( 200$ down the drain) but after seeing it did nothing to the noise, maybe won't do much to rasp? Idk.
Attached Files

Last edited by encrypt; 06-27-2020 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,008 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
No muffler or resonator... yeah its going to sound raspy, drone on the highway and get old quick. I'm assuming your on a budget or don't want to spend the money on a proper exhaust system? A proper exhaust, whether purchased or fab'd should offer a sporty exhaust note, while avoiding rasp and droning. Not to mention any potential issues with emissions or inspections if they apply in your area.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:34 AM

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
2013 SL550 BiTurbo
just deleting both resonators will get you the sound you're looking for. put the mufflers back on.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nota_amg
just deleting both resonators will get you the sound you're looking for. put the mufflers back on.
First thing he did was delete the resonators, based on his post, and he wasn't satisfied... "I took it to the shop and had the res delete for 200$ and it literally sounded the exact same. No change. I was dissapointed".

While I don't have first hand experience with the exhaust on the W212, I had similar experiences with W124s... the resonator didn't do much to increase the exhaust volume which I think he is after.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:01 PM

2013 SL550 BiTurbo
Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3
First thing he did was delete the resonators, based on his post, and he wasn't satisfied... "I took it to the shop and had the res delete for 200$ and it literally sounded the exact same. No change. I was dissapointed".

While I don't have first hand experience with the exhaust on the W212, I had similar experiences with W124s... the resonator didn't do much to increase the exhaust volume which I think he is after.
Originally Posted by encrypt
I was going to delete a 2ndary cat but the shop told me my car has "2" small resonators, not "cats". But he said removing them won't make a significant change either.

He said he deleted the rear resonator and the mufflers. So, like I said earlier, he should have left the mufflers and deleted BOTH resonators. wouldn't be near as "raspy" that way

Last edited by nota_amg; 06-28-2020 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

He said he deleted the rear resonator and the mufflers. So, like I said earlier, he should have left the mufflers and deleted BOTH resonators. wouldn't be near as "raspy" that way
I see, you mean removing the rear resonator and secondary cats (up front).
Old 06-28-2020, 06:43 PM

2013 SL550 BiTurbo
correct. the front resonator made a HUGE difference in the "loudness" of my car. I first deleted the mufflers, and it hardly made any difference at all. then I had the rear resonator removed and it was a little louder. Then I had the front removed and whoa mama! lol

of course, mine is a V8, but the principal is the same...
Old 06-28-2020, 10:01 PM

e350

so he said I have one big resonator in the middle ( one i deleted ) and 2 side ones ( he said they're not 'cats' but small resonators? So you suggest deleteting those 2 side ones as well? He said they're small and therefore won't have a significant change in the noise. I don't wanna keep putting stuff back on and off ugh too much $. I know this isn't a sports car I just wanted to turn some heads until I saveup next year for an amg.

Do you think removing all 3 resonators ( 1 middle and I guess 2 side ones) will have some loud noise? and I guess put muffler back? The main res didn't do anything which is why I'm hesitant.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:50 AM

2013 SL550 BiTurbo
I personally think they sound best with the resonators removed and the mufflers in place. I also feel that this setup will allow the best reduction in back pressure as well, allowing the mufflers to do their job and opening up the exhaust for the best flow and best power gain(this is anecdotal, and only based on my personal knowledge and opinion...). The resonators muffle noise, but only in a narrow frequency range and are used to reduce drone. Muffles quiet the noise at a more even level across all frequencies. Sadly, the "right exhaust for you" is a personal preference and usually requires either hearing a system you like and spending an obscene amount of money to get that system, or spending a small amount of money, sometimes several times, to experiment and find what works for you. I've changed mine 4 or 5 times now, and still only have about $1,500 dollars in the system, overall, including the $900 for the used 3" catless downpipes. I am currently running the 3" DPs, X-pipe, no resonators or cats, 3-chamber mufflers(flowmaster knockoffs), and a combination of mandrel bent 304 stainless and mild steel pipes all in 3". It is loud and it drones some, but I don't mind it. Not near as loud as it was when it was just the DPs and X-Pipe dumped under the car, but loud none the less. Thankfully we are able to remove the "cold-start" function from my newest tune(which I'll be having installed when I get back from vacation) so it will be much less obnoxious for my neighbors at 5am every morning!
Old 07-04-2020, 08:15 PM

e350
I would like the engine noise only when I accelerate. What can I do for that? I heard putting vibrant mufflers? Maybe even magnaflow? SO according to you, put stock mufflers back and delete the other 2 side resonators ( cats?)?
Old 07-05-2020, 09:14 AM

2013 SL550 BiTurbo
If that's what you want, you would have to go with some kind of valved muffler. No idea what kind as I've never looked into anything like that, sorry.