E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Taillights Always On

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 09:31 PM

Received 170 Likes on 112 Posts
2015 E250 Bluetec
Taillights Always On

I prefer to have my taillights always on, even during the day, for both safety and appearance. The W212 ribbon taillights are beautiful!

I know in the W212 I can turn the taillights on during the day by turning the headlight dial to “On” or they’ll come on automatically at night or in rain with the switch on “Auto”. Ideally I would like to have the switch in “Auto” and have the headlights and DRLs behave the same as standard, but always have the taillights on irrespective of day or night.

Does anybody know if the taillight programming can be changed? If so, who can do it?

I already have Vladimir’s ILS unlock for the facelift LEDs. He said that he could not make the taillight change that I wanted. However I don’t know if that means it is impossible or if he just doesn’t have a script to do it already made.

Thanks very much for any help!
Old 06-30-2020, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by ccww
I prefer to have my taillights always on, even during the day, for both safety and appearance. The W212 ribbon taillights are beautiful!

I know in the W212 I can turn the taillights on during the day by turning the headlight dial to “On” or they’ll come on automatically at night or in rain with the switch on “Auto”. Ideally I would like to have the switch in “Auto” and have the headlights and DRLs behave the same as standard, but always have the taillights on irrespective of day or night.

Does anybody know if the taillight programming can be changed? If so, who can do it?

I already have Vladimir’s ILS unlock for the facelift LEDs. He said that he could not make the taillight change that I wanted. However I don’t know if that means it is impossible or if he just doesn’t have a script to do it already made.

Thanks very much for any help!
I don't think Vladimir could do this - even if he was willing - because it's just not something that is available anywhere. I just looked at mine when they were on to see what it looks like and they don't appear to be very bright, sunlight seems to wash them out a lot. Certainly no where close to the intensity of the DRL.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:22 PM

Received 170 Likes on 112 Posts
2015 E250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
I don't think Vladimir could do this - even if he was willing - because it's just not something that is available anywhere. I just looked at mine when they were on to see what it looks like and they don't appear to be very bright, sunlight seems to wash them out a lot. Certainly no where close to the intensity of the DRL.
I was hoping that perhaps some market required the use of daytime tails and that would facilitate the option being present somewhere for Vladimir.

I know that a lot of W204 folks have changed their taillights to LED and reprogrammed through Vediamo/DTS. Perhaps there is some coding that can be done that way. If anybody is knowledgeable with those softwares their advice would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I should cross post the question to the Tech Talk forum...