E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Road top carplay 360 camera

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 04:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 E250 4Matic
Road top carplay 360 camera

Any one who installed the road top unit, it mentions factory camera. After market camera and 360 aftermarket

What happened if you have factory 360?
what setting or toggle to use?

Install complete answered my own question.
New camera issue, when reversed all is fine, but when I go back to drive if I set front view time to 0, it switches back to road top unit, but if I leave any timer, the moment I switch to drive my screen will go black for the corresponding number of seconds I set it to, any help?

Last edited by Badwolf; 08-28-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 02:03 AM

Received 94 Likes on 67 Posts
2016 S550
It’s been documented in the last few pages of the Joyeauto thread. I have those issues as well. It works like 20% of the time and it’s hard to determine what causes it to work. Sometimes when going into Drive, it remains on but acts differently than the factory setup. It switches to CarPlay at above 10Mph (factory turns off cam after 20mph) and switched back on if you slow down close to 0mph. If you go over 20mph then it won’t switch back on again.
This was the behavior running the latest firmware, a firmware update that was suppose to address the issue.

I had been in contact with RoadTop and they sent me various firmwares and tried to fix my issue.. I don’t understand why some forum members say theirs work fine. Mine works 20% of the time, maybe less. So RoadTop said to wait for another patch as their “engineer” was
working to fix my issue. 2 weeks later I message them for an update and they just said to me “sorry, we can’t fix this problem”.
I have even returned the unit and got a new one..behaves the same. So that rules out a bad unit.
My work around now is setting the small star button as a shortcut to the 360 cameras. So I would just switch out of CarPlay and turn 360 camera on if I was parking. A hassle.. but I guess I can live with it since it’s better than not having CarPlay. I also saw that their Amazon ad no longer says their support function of 360 camera of factory camera. Only “factory reverse camera”. I am still within return window to get a full refund from Amazon, but working 20% of the time is acceptable I guess.
Unless someone else knows of a different unit working 100% with factory 360 camera..I’ll
keep it.

Old 08-30-2020, 08:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 E250 4Matic
Mine worked for a part, when I was under 20km, then above that it went to blank screen, now it just doesn't again.

A side issue, carplay works great, but I use Android and Android auto, for some reason waze is virtually unusable, can't enter address or anything. And Google maps everything works except I can't use the knob to move around the map(Android only issue tried 2 phones, carplay google maps works perfectly), only rotate in and out of zoom. Any fix?

Last edited by Badwolf; 08-30-2020 at 08:07 AM.