E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Help with Figuring Out Parts Locations - Package 839

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 04:05 PM

Received 170 Likes on 112 Posts
2015 E250 Bluetec
Help with Figuring Out Parts Locations - Package 839

I am attempting to retrofit the options package 839 Laminated Acoustic Glass to my 2015 E250 BT RWD. It turns out that not only are the four crank windows different, but the package actually includes 22 additional small pieces of cabin insulation and damping and different rear outer tirewells.

I cannot figure out where to install 11 of the pieces of insulation, all seemingly related to the inner rear tirewell area. The parts diagram below shows Part 490 and Part 555 circled.

Part 490 comprises 4x units of A 218 682 00 30, a small block of compressible absorbing material, and is described as "SIDE WALL INSULATION, REAR WHEELHOUSE, INSIDE 210X86 MM" It is the same part as Part 540 on the diagram, which is stuffed into a void in the metal framing on the outside of the rear folding seat and under the rear deck.

Part 555 comprises 5x units of A 212 682 29 04, a metal-backed slightly arched damping strip described as "INSULATION ON WHL HOUSING REAR INSIDE,LEFT/RIGHT" and 2x units of A 212 682 01 62, a longer asphalt or bituminous damping strip described as "INSULATION WHEEL ARCH ON WHL HOUSING REAR INSIDE,LEFT/RIGHT 300X75 MM."

I've attached a photo showing the actual locations of Part 550 and Part 540 for reference. I've also attached photos of the parts (490 x4 and 555 x7) that I'm trying to determine the locations for. I cannot figure out where these additional parts go in the actual vehicle from the diagram.

This is to the outside of the rear bench seat with it folded down. The area is revealed by removing the side bolsters exterior to the rear seat backrest.

I initially thought that the damping might be installed to the outside (right) of piece 550, but there doesn't seem to be a natural spot for it.

Part 490 (x4):

Part 555 (x5) A 212 682 29 04

Part 555 (x2)

Below are views from the rear of the areas on the opposite sides of the area pictured in the first photo. I'm really hoping that the materials are not supposed to be somehow located within or under the metal framing as I don't think there is any practical way of getting inside it.

Any help in figuring out where these parts go would be wonderful and much appreciated!

If anybody has a car with the 839 Laminated Acoustic Glass options package and is willing to fold down their rear seat and remove their side bolsters to take a few photos I would be incredibly grateful! I'm not sure that the pieces will be easily visible, but it would certainly help me rule out places that they don't go.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:35 PM

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
2013 SL550 BiTurbo
I'd be willing to bet the 555 parts are going to go inside the wheel well, OUTSIDE of the car. Pull the rear wheels and plastic wheel well liners and apply to the metal around the shock tower area.

No idea on the 490, unless they go somewhere on the bottom of the rear deck? like, in the holes in the channels at the tops of your circles above???
The following users liked this post:
ccww (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 07:08 PM

Received 170 Likes on 112 Posts
2015 E250 Bluetec
I am starting to suspect the same. They don’t show up in the parts diagram for the rear wheel well/fender area, but that might be because they are insulation pieces that they chose to include in this diagram of all insulation pieces.

Pretty logical for the various damping strips. I think you’re also right about the absorbers. They don’t have any adhesive on them, so they do seem made to be shoved into some area or void that will hold them in place, like the others in my photo. Exactly where is the mystery though. Clearly a different spot than the identical ones I found as they’re in a different location on the diagram.

I’m taking the rear fender liners off soon to replace them with 839-specific fender liners. So I’ll be able to investigate that area and see if there are appropriate places to put the mystery pieces.