E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Android head unit, seeking in South Florida

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 08:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 E350 Base
Android head unit, seeking in South Florida

Anyone in South Florida install an Android +10" touchscreen unit? I would like details and contact for installer/dealer.

Thank you.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:22 PM

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts
W222 S550e, C207 E550, W212 E350
You drive a MY2016? You might be able to enable Apple Carplay/Android Auto through the OBD2 port. Many other 2016 W212 drivers have been able to do this. You might want to try this upgrade/mod before doing the Android screen.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:58 PM

2016 E350 Base
Originally Posted by S550e
You drive a MY2016? You might be able to enable Apple Carplay/Android Auto through the OBD2 port. Many other 2016 W212 drivers have been able to do this. You might want to try this upgrade/mod before doing the Android screen.
Yes, I have a MY2016. Are you suggesting this because there may be issues with the Android unit? I would have to ask the dealer to upgrade my system since I have a 3U2 head unit.

I was also thinking that the Android offers more options and features than the Android Auto (I believe). Looking for suggestions. Thanks for chiming in.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Alonso
Yes, I have a MY2016. Are you suggesting this because there may be issues with the Android unit? I would have to ask the dealer to upgrade my system since I have a 3U2 head unit.

I was also thinking that the Android offers more options and features than the Android Auto (I believe). Looking for suggestions. Thanks for chiming in.
It is an aftermarket OBD2 chip that installs to your car automatically. No need for the dealer as they won't do the upgrade for you anyways. (They would rather have you in a new E 300 with CP/AA).

I suggest this first before doing the Android screen upgrade. It retains the factory look and less tampering (removal of old screen and installing new harnesses etc).

You have the ability to software install CP/AA very easily. Something that the 2010-2015 owners cannot do.

Yes, the Android screen will have many new features, covered in many other threads and Youtube videos, including ability to stream videos, performance pages, touchscreen, along with many other things. But the anti-glare will be far less compared to the OEM screen (and especially due to it sticking outside of the shaded frame).

I have been a long time lurker and follower of the Android screen as I considered doing the upgrade myself but, decided to go with a CarPlay box that merges into the factory Comand video cables and retains all OEM functions, screen, and Anti-glare. I also recommend doing the CP/AA box if the OBD2 upgrade is unsuccessful.

Hope this helps!
The following users liked this post:
Joe Alonso (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 10:09 AM

2016 E350 Base
S550e -
I really appreciate the feedback. I know the Android screen looks a lot "sexier" than the OEM screen, especially being touchscreen and the unit having a load of features that the future firmware upgrade to AA wont have, but I do have hesitation - trust me. The last thing I want is to screw something up in seeking that journey. I can envision things braking in the midst of the install, or the actual Android unit being defective 8 months later and having to call upon the China vendor to ship another (at my expense). I know - it's risky. Maybe I just talked myself out of it (LOL)... I can see my wife logically saying, "How often are you in your precious car anyways? You work from home!"

So, upgrading the firmware may be best for me... and when you state (above) regarding the CP/AA "box", are you referring to this:
Amazon Amazon

You're saying try THAT before the ODB2 dongle? And try that box AFTER the firmware upgrade? Are those the steps? Sorry for the elementary questions; I'm just very new to this stuff and not very mechanically inclined. I know there are threads on this topic, but when 30 people jump on the same thread, each with their opinions, suggestions, and how-to's, it gets very cloudy for me, and I can't understand the final answer/version of what exactly to do, or NOT to do. What to buy, or NOT to buy. Ugh!

Do you have my same MY2016 model, and you said you installed the CP/AA box version, as opposed to the OBD2 dongle? Did you hire a local installer for this, or you did this install yourself? I know... lots of questions here...

Thanks again in advance, and apologies for the bombardment of Qs....
Old 08-31-2020, 12:37 PM

You're saying try THAT before the ODB2 dongle? And try that box AFTER the firmware upgrade? Are those the steps? Sorry for the elementary questions; I'm just very new to this stuff and not very mechanically inclined. I know there are threads on this topic, but when 30 people jump on the same thread, each with their opinions, suggestions, and how-to's, it gets very cloudy for me, and I can't understand the final answer/version of what exactly to do, or NOT to do. What to buy, or NOT to buy. Ugh!
1. Try doing the OBD2 software upgrade. If unsuccessful, step 2
2. Try the Limcet box, or other brand of your choice. If unsatisfied, step 3
3. Android Screen

Do you have my same MY2016 model, and you said you installed the CP/AA box version, as opposed to the OBD2 dongle? Did you hire a local installer for this, or you did this install yourself? I know... lots of questions here...
No, I have a 2010. I have been a long time lurker and follower so I understand where you are coming from. I purchased the Limcet box a few days ago and I am waiting for it to arrive. I will do the install myself, there are a lot of videos on Youtube on how to do it. I am not much of a DIYer myself but I figured out how to swap a steering wheel and shift column so it can't be that hard.

You sound like you have an Android phone, so you may benefit from having the new screen. Sorry, I know it is contradicting to what I said earlier but, being an Apple user, I don't see myself needing to upgrade the screen.

Last edited by S550e; 08-31-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:55 PM

2016 E350 Base
Thank you!! More to ponder... LOL...
Old 08-31-2020, 01:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 MBZ E350
as for the OBD2 way, you have to make sure you are running the latest COMAND Version on your vehicle or else it won't work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-CO...QAAOSwzcpdoZ1y

This is the way I did it. Got the dealer to update my COMAND for free (my vehicle is under warranty) complaint that my bluetooth was dropping when I took my vehicle for service. They couldn't replicate the problem since they couldn't use my phone and they deiced to update my comand software to the newest one and magically my problems disappeared

Last edited by Red-Town; 08-31-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:31 PM

2016 E350 Base
Nice! Surprised they didn't ask you to use your phone in front of them to replicate the "issue"? And yes, I have seen/heard of that ODB2 activator. Pondering....
I assume you are currently using it? Is your car as mine, MY2016 W212? Thanks for the input.

Strange question... what occurs if the ODB2 activator is removed? Do I have to go thru another install of the software?
Old 08-31-2020, 02:00 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 MBZ E350
Nice! Surprised they didn't ask you to use your phone in front of them to replicate the "issue"? And yes, I have seen/heard of that ODB2 activator. Pondering....
I assume you are currently using it? Is your car as mine, MY2016 W212? Thanks for the input.

Strange question... what occurs if the ODB2 activator is removed? Do I have to go thru another install of the software?
Same vehicle as yours, 2016 E350. Once you use the activator, you can remove it and forget about it. AC/AA stay unlock and you can also uninstall them if you wish with the same activator.