E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Swirl flap motor M271 Engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 08:14 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
E200 CGI blueefficiency 2010 W212
Swirl flap motor M271 Engine

Has anyone had an experience with the swirl flap motor in the M271 engine evo? Because I’m having a rough time trying to solve my issue, engine sputtering at low rpms, every sensor, coil pack, plugs and hoses, valves have been replaced yet the issue still exists.
the star diagnostics came up with two fault codes.
1- Torque calculation error, internal component failure.
2- position sensor for the swirl flap motor has too high frequency.
the car sputters and misfires at low rpms especially with load like ac and lights etc, has rough cold starting. The flap motor has been actuated by the star tool and is having a hard time trying to spin and it seems that it’s faulty checked all the wiring for the sensor and motor they are all okay and physical inspection of the flaps and linkages was also performed and i can tell you for sure the flap motor is faulty.
my questions are:-
A- can a bad swirl flap motor cause the above mentioned symptoms? I’ve read a thread about it and found only one person with similar symptoms on this engine and his issue was also flap motor.
B- can a bad flap motor trigger a torque calculation error fault code?
C- in case of replacement does the new part need teaching process or adaptation?
D- how does a bad flap motor affect vehicles performance?
E- is it a common failure for these engines?
The following users liked this post:
chassis (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 09:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,925 Likes on 3,091 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
How much searching on this site have you done? Swirl flaps are a well known failure point. The most certain fix is to disable them. The search button will bring up the information for you.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by chassis
How much searching on this site have you done? Swirl flaps are a well known failure point. The most certain fix is to disable them. The search button will bring up the information for you.
not the swirl flaps itself, i meant the swirl flap motor. The unit which houses both the position sensor and actuator.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w204 c250 coupe
Hi bro..I think I having the same problem as you..wana ask..after you replaced the swirl flap motor..your problem solve?
Old 06-06-2021, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by fangyang
Hi bro..I think I having the same problem as you..wana ask..after you replaced the swirl flap motor..your problem solve?
nope, it turns out that what caused the swirl flap motor fault was incorrect installation, it has to be installed in a position where all flaps are open, but my issue was actually electrical, my alternator was not supplying enough voltage and current and my battery was bigger than the recommended, so after i confirmed faulty alternator i replaced both my alt and battery, then my issue was solved.