E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Stealth remote control install for radar detector

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2020 | 09:18 PM

2016 E350 4matic
Stealth remote control install for radar detector

I finally got got fed up with power cord hanging down. And got around to make and install integrated remote for Redline 360C radar detector and went from this:

to this:

I wanted the remote control "mute" button be available at the center console where I did not have to reach far to access it.
I ended up using two locations:
Location #1. Microswitch mounted in the cup holder

I did not find a switch that I liked, so I have made one that suited my needs out of surface mount microswitch that I had leftover from some other project.
Soldered leads to microswitch:

Put it in the heat shrink tube and cut out push button. If you do not cut it out, switch is always "ON" due to the pressure from heat shrink:

And added mounting screws:

Location #2: Touch switch in ECO/Sport driving mode switch. I wanted "mute" button to be accessible even then cupholder lid is closed. This switch location looked very convenient.
Got A2129051302 1302 switch from eBay before tearing the car apart. Half of this switch is blank/unused.

I have added a "touch panel" made out of piece of Cu wire to the "blank" section of the switch:

This wire is fed to TTP223 Cap touch switch module that I already had. Below is the link to one that I have used:
Amazon Amazon

The trick par is that TTP223 module needed 5.0V supply. In order to make this happen I ended using 7V-28V to 5V 3A Voltage Regulator Mini Power Module that I have ordered from online for few bucks. Below is the link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=7V-2...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Here is my messy prototype on a Breadboard:

Below is the refence from audiworld (among other places) that has a controller schematic to those who are interested:
https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec156.shtml
I had to add a few things (BJT and couple of resistors) to make it work with my touch switch setup.

I have tested it before putting it on actual board.
Here is cupholder with control circuitry attached, ready for install:

Cupholder installed with radar detector powered up:

Blue LED is power and the red one closer to the top is "alert" indicator.
Power was tapped into cigarette lighter. Wire to the radar was routed under glove compartment and along passenger side A-pillar.

While doing all this work also added BlackVue dashcam with externa GPS receiver that was on my to do list also (not the best picture of the install but gives you and idea) :
GPS receiver is attached to A-pillar and hidden under the A-pillar cover.

Cheers,
Max
The following users liked this post:
Oliver Liu (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020 | 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Interesting.