MY2016 W212: Dual Bluetooth connectivity matter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 04:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 E350 Base
MY2016 W212: Dual Bluetooth connectivity matter

Hello Group -
Via Bluetooth, I have paired my cellphone to COMAND's Telephone connection, and I am using a Tablet to stream music (and for Google Maps), which I paired to the Media connection. So far, it has worked in the manner that when a call is received/made, the Bluetooth for my cellphone connection kicks in, and when the phone not in use, the tablet's connection takes over and music streams again. The "handshake" between the two is fine. Good here...

What's occurring when the car is initially turned "on" and BT connection is beginning to engage, is that COMAND finds the two BT devices as conflicting, and it takes up to a good two minutes for the Media's Bluetooth connection to be made. There doesn't seem a way for me to force COMAND to connect the Media BT connection immediately, or at once, like it would if there was only ONE Bluetooth connection in the car.

Anyone have thoughts on this, or how to accomplish a forced connection to Media's Bluetooth quicker? Thanks in advance.

(BTW - I don't have an Aux port)

Last edited by Joe Alonso; 10-21-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 884 Likes on 634 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Joe Alonso
Hello Group -
Via Bluetooth, I have paired my cellphone to COMAND's Telephone connection, and I am using a Tablet to stream music (and for Google Maps), which I paired to the Media connection. So far, it has worked in the manner that when a call is received/made, the Bluetooth for my cellphone connection kicks in, and when the phone not in use, the tablet's connection takes over and music streams again. The "handshake" between the two is fine. Good here...

What's occurring when the car is initially turned "on" and BT connection is beginning to engage, is that COMAND finds the two BT devices as conflicting, and it takes up to a good two minutes for the Media's Bluetooth connection to be made. There doesn't seem a way for me to force COMAND to connect the Media BT connection immediately, or at once, like it would if there was only ONE Bluetooth connection in the car.

Anyone have thoughts on this, or how to accomplish a forced connection to Media's Bluetooth quicker? Thanks in advance.

(BTW - I don't have an Aux port)
Does your car have the "Media Interface" connection? I have 2010 E550 and 2013 S550 and they both have media interface connection in the glove box. In the S550 I have a BoVee BT interface adapter connected to the Media Interface connection of the car. This works well as the Bluetooth in the car connects to the iPhone I use for phone calls and BoVee connects to another iPhone I use for music and other stuff in internet. Connections happen immediately after car starts up.

For some reason MB does not have two different BT connections one for the phone and one for media like in some rental cars I drove where the car asks if I want to use one connection for all or separate for phone and music. I guess it is like with the Distronic. It is only Distronic or no cruise control all. But I just read somewhere that now in new cars MB has also Speedtronic with cars equipped with Distronic, which is the normal cruise control.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 E350 Base
Hi Arrie -
My model W212 only has two USB ports inside the armrest, and I BELEIVE this is what they call Media Interface #1 and #2 (from the Media COMAND choices); however, from my understanding (and from reading online), these two USB ports only allow for the playing of music "files" stored within your device. It does not transmit streaming music, nor can I plug my phone into it in order to make/receive calls thru COMAND, like a Bluetooth connection would.

The irony here is, that I *am* able to connect my phone to the Telephone connection, and my tablet to the Media connection, both via Bluetooth connections (individually). The problem arises when the car was off and now turned on and COMAND needs to connect those devices to Bluetooth. It simply hangs for a super long time (2-3 minutes or more), eventually connecting both devices. It's not immediate, the way Bluetooth was intended.

Thanks for chiming in...