E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2011 E350 Bluetec - DPF Filter Clogged - Remove, Clean, Replace

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 Bluetec
2011 E350 Bluetec - DPF Filter Clogged - Remove, Clean, Replace

I'm in the final steps of the process to remove the DPF. I thought I might be able to skip the step to remove the oil separator, but things are so tight in the back of the motor. Any tips for getting the DPF out besides follow the instructions? I'm thinking I'm going to have to pull the converter off the turbo to the them to come apart without damaging anything.

exhaust being shy, hiding behind oil separator.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto

Last edited by konigstiger; 11-02-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 Bluetec
It would have been a good idea to remove all the sensors from the DPF before trying to remove. they just get caught up on stuff trying to pull it out the bottom. Removing the oil separator was maybe not necessary but made it easier to access the clamp. The oil separator gasket is solid so I'm going to go ahead and get a new separator. I didn't see where you could just order the gasket. $150 for no leaks is going to be a good investment. I've been reading about placing an oil drop can in line between the output of the separator and the output just before the turbo. I'm not sure how good an idea that is. Seems like the oil separator should seal off during high vacuum from the turbo. An oil can would be a potential source of oil for the turbo... but if you move the output to the air filter side, the oil can seems like a better idea. I'm thinking it made it this far (94000 miles) the way it was built, I'll just replace necessary gaskets and put it back together the way I found it.

Cleaning the DPF so far is soaking in a tub with dishwashing capsules and boiling water. I leave it in that until my 5 gallon bucket of 32% muriatic acid shows up. $100 but I've read it works best and doesn't damage the unit.