E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

I Can't Believe I am So Stupid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 03:43 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2012 E550 Cabriolet 2011 VW Eos 1985 Pininfarina Spider
I Can't Believe I am So Stupid

Today I took my car through a touchless carwash and everything went crazy. All the warning lights started flashing, temp gauge stopped working, no power steering or brakes and it went into limp mode. I live less than a mile away and was able to get it home. I opened the hood and noticed the fuse box cover was not on. A couple of days ago I installed an illuminated star and forgot to put the top back on the fuse box. It looked dry, but I am wondering if water may have got into the fuse box. I disconnected the front battery and place a light over the fuse box to dry any water that may have got inside. I can't believe I am so stupid. Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 11-06-2020, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,124 Likes on 750 Posts
12 E350 4Matic 13 E350 4Matic AMG Sport
Talking

Originally Posted by Davery
Today I took my car through a touchless carwash and everything went crazy. All the warning lights started flashing, temp gauge stopped working, no power steering or brakes and it went into limp mode. I live less than a mile away and was able to get it home. I opened the hood and noticed the fuse box cover was not on. A couple of days ago I installed an illuminated star and forgot to put the top back on the fuse box. It looked dry, but I am wondering if water may have got into the fuse box. I disconnected the front battery and place a light over the fuse box to dry any water that may have got inside. I can't believe I am so stupid. Anyone else have any suggestions?
**** happens, might be a good idea to spray with electrical cleaner after a quick dryout with a hair dryer. be happy you didn't dent the hood when you closed it with the fuse cover off!
The following users liked this post:
KEY08 (11-06-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 12:11 AM

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
2011 Mercedes-Benz E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by pierrejoliat
**** happens, might be a good idea to spray with electrical cleaner after a quick dryout with a hair dryer. be happy you didn't dent the hood when you closed it with the fuse cover off!
In terms of the fuse box I’d say what the other commenter said is your best bet and if a problem occurs then to take it to your mechanic.

Now, in terms of the car wash. Assuming you treat your car like it’s your baby, I recommend cleaning it by hand. You’d be surprised how much cleaner your ride will look with a little bit of elbow grease!
The following users liked this post:
KEY08 (11-07-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Hopefully it drys out completely. I bet you will not do that again.