E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Ham radio power from battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550
Ham radio power from battery

I am a ham radio operator. Recently purchased a 2013 e550 cabriolet. Want to install a radio in the car, but it has a fairly high power requirements. (13amps)

Need to get power supply wires directly from battery into the cockpit. Don’t think I can tap a fuse for this.

Has anybody ever done this before? I don’t see any obvious way to run power cables from battery through firewall to cockpit.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550
I think I may have found a solution.

Since I need to run wiring from the trunk up to the cockpit for the antenna anyway, I can tap into an unused circuit from the rear fuse box.

There is a 20 amp unused circuit normally used for trailer hitch purposes. I need to do a little more checking (to ensure I don’t burn the car down) but this may be my solution.

Thoughts/warnings?

Ralph KN6KTI
Old 11-12-2020, 08:11 PM

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
2013 SL550 BiTurbo
Originally Posted by RalphLong
I think I may have found a solution.

Since I need to run wiring from the trunk up to the cockpit for the antenna anyway, I can tap into an unused circuit from the rear fuse box.

There is a 20 amp unused circuit normally used for trailer hitch purposes. I need to do a little more checking (to ensure I don’t burn the car down) but this may be my solution.

Thoughts/warnings?

Ralph KN6KTI
Sounds like a solid plan, Ralph. Just make sure you use the proper size wire and keep it away from other wires and you should be good.

Just curious, but are you hooking up a 2-meter set-up, or is there something else hams are using now? My mother and father were operators when I was growing up. My father kept his license till sometime in the late 90's I believe. It crazy, but after all these years I still remember their call signs. Mom was KA5NCR and Dad was N5CJI. He passed a few years ago, but I still have his Custom TX Ham Radio Operator license plates.