E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Favorite way to remove ignition coils?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2020 | 11:09 PM

e350 2012
Favorite way to remove ignition coils?

Hello everyone!

Was attempting to replace spark plugs on my e350 2012 today, and decided to start with the driver side coil that's closest to the windshield since it seemed like it's the most difficult to reach. I spent 30 mins attempting to remove it before I gave up.
On youtube and the forums, I've seen people use either their hands, ignition coil pliers from Amazon, or a nylon cord that wraps around the base of the coil to make pulling easier.
I'm having a really tough time getting them out, so I'm wondering what's your best advice to take coils out so I can charge those spark plugs?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-14-2020 | 04:19 PM

2016 E350 Sport 2WD
Start easy, finish hard.
One thing I found helpful was to leave the coil pack attached to the harness at the connector. I had a very difficult time detaching the connector and broke one and lost a part to another. The result was just leaving them attached. There is enough room to do this on all 8 plugs. .Do be careful though. This is not tough stuff. I would suggest you start at the passenger front, the work to the back. A longer extension will fit in the front than in the back. Then go to the driver's side, removing the ECM and other brackets, etc that are in your way. Might want to take a picture of the areas before you start just to make sure everything goes back the same way it came out. .

I used those funny-looking hook-nosed plug wire long needle nose pliers and they worked fine for all positions. You get the feel on the first, easy plugs so that when you get to the hard ones you know what to expect.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (12-16-2020)
Old 12-14-2020 | 04:34 PM

e350 2012
Originally Posted by Sunnyslope48
Start easy, finish hard.
One thing I found helpful was to leave the coil pack attached to the harness at the connector. I had a very difficult time detaching the connector and broke one and lost a part to another. The result was just leaving them attached. There is enough room to do this on all 8 plugs. .Do be careful though. This is not tough stuff. I would suggest you start at the passenger front, the work to the back. A longer extension will fit in the front than in the back. Then go to the driver's side, removing the ECM and other brackets, etc that are in your way. Might want to take a picture of the areas before you start just to make sure everything goes back the same way it came out. .

I used those funny-looking hook-nosed plug wire long needle nose pliers and they worked fine for all positions. You get the feel on the first, easy plugs so that when you get to the hard ones you know what to expect.
I think my reasoning was let me get done with the hard ones first, since if I got stuck at them and they were last, I'll have a hard time finding a mechanic to do 1/6th of a job... You know what I mean? But I agree with you, I should start easy finish hard.

I was able to remove everything in the way, ECU, air filter, harnesses, etc... I was just stuck at literally pulling out the coil. I think those weird looking pliers will do the job.
They're called "Lisle 51420 Double Offset Spark Plugs Boot Removal Pliers" on Amazon.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (12-16-2020)