E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Can't find a decent e550 in my area

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 02:14 PM

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
2013 SL550 BiTurbo
Alarsen21, if you don't mind me asking, what is your budget?
Old 02-03-2021, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,124 Likes on 750 Posts
12 E350 4Matic 13 E350 4Matic AMG Sport
Talking

Originally Posted by Alarsen21
I appreciate you reaching out but given how well you’ve taken care of it and how low miles on it I don’t think I could get close to what you would want for it. I’m just a college student looking for a nice car for when I start my career. I honestly would love your car don’t get me wrong but I also don’t want to offend you by offering you a price that would be a low ball offer. Hopefully someone else on this thread could offer you a good price for your incredible vehicle you have if you decide to sell it.
Yes, I wasn't worried it was leaving anytime soon.

Last edited by pierrejoliat; 02-03-2021 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-03-2021, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chevy Malibu
Originally Posted by nota_amg
Alarsen21, if you don't mind me asking, what is your budget?
I was looking at about 15-20k seeing as most I see are about 17ish, give or take. I’d be able to push the top a little bit if I found the perfect E550 in Lunar Blue with the Beige interior with the Premium package II and pano roof. I really missed my opportunity with one that was in Arizona. Was a Lunar Blue with beige and 78,000 miles (IIRC) for $15,900. I live in Minnesota but would be able to fly and drive it home if in another state. I’ve also been looking in Canada as well just to see and there are two which are pretty reasonable given the CAD to USD and KM to MI conversions. I might consider them if the border were to open soon but I don’t know about all the paperwork or shipping from Canada what that would cost.

Last edited by Alarsen21; 02-03-2021 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:56 PM

2013 SL550 BiTurbo
I was looking at about 15-20k seeing as most I see are about 17ish, give or take. I’d be able to push the top a little bit if I found the perfect E550 in Lunar Blue with the Beige interior with the Premium package II and pano roof. I live in Minnesota but would be able to fly and drive it home if in another state. I’ve also been looking in Canada as well just to see and there are two which are pretty reasonable given the CAD to USD and KM to MI conversions. I might consider them if the border were to open soon but I don’t know about all the paperwork or shipping from Canada what that would cost.
gotcha, okay. I'll keep my eye out and let you know if I see anything locally that may meet your needs.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 03:15 PM

Chevy Malibu
Originally Posted by nota_amg
gotcha, okay. I'll keep my eye out and let you know if I see anything locally that may meet your needs.
Don’t know if you saw but I edited my last post but thought I’d let you know. Additionally, there are a couple somewhat local ones but I don’t quite like the black color because I see it a lot. I know I seem like a demanding guy but I guess if I’m spending this kind of money I really want to find my perfect car. I don’t mind traveling to find the right one so it does necessarily need to be local. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:02 PM

2013 SL550 BiTurbo
I know exactly what you mean.

Also, I know you're looking for a pre-facelift, but they made the E550 with the 4.7 in Canadia till, I think, 2016? Only till 2014 in the US though...
Old 02-03-2021, 08:58 PM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
2013 E550 sedan
Don’t know if you saw but I edited my last post but thought I’d let you know. Additionally, there are a couple somewhat local ones but I don’t quite like the black color because I see it a lot. I know I seem like a demanding guy but I guess if I’m spending this kind of money I really want to find my perfect car. I don’t mind traveling to find the right one so it does necessarily need to be local. Thanks for the help.
Yes, because you are a kid still in school, and you want to have a cool, but way faster than anyone expects, car (sedan). 4.7 bi-turbo E550 fits that to a charm...

I'd love to buy my car for 20K, but that's half what I paid, and I paid less than half of what it was new... When I was your age, having a reliable car that couldn't all-of-the-sudden have HUGE expensive repairs, was the most important, to me... You may have rich parents that will backstop this purchase, if you get one for "the right price"; but if it has totally been crapped on, and you end up holding the bag...?

If you want a MB in this range, there are TONS of 350s out there - big time lease vehicle for mid-management. And they aren't slow...

Best of luck... Wow, twenty grand and when something breaks...?! Let me just say that you need a hard reset on the car you are looking at - this isn't about affording the purchase, it's about the upkeep...

Like a horse: the least expensive thing is the purchase price...
The following 2 users liked this post by diesel_dan:
bmwpowere36m3 (02-03-2021), pierrejoliat (02-04-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 10:28 PM

Chevy Malibu
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
Yes, because you are a kid still in school, and you want to have a cool, but way faster than anyone expects, car (sedan). 4.7 bi-turbo E550 fits that to a charm...

I'd love to buy my car for 20K, but that's half what I paid, and I paid less than half of what it was new... When I was your age, having a reliable car that couldn't all-of-the-sudden have HUGE expensive repairs, was the most important, to me... You may have rich parents that will backstop this purchase, if you get one for "the right price"; but if it has totally been crapped on, and you end up holding the bag...?

If you want a MB in this range, there are TONS of 350s out there - big time lease vehicle for mid-management. And they aren't slow...

Best of luck... Wow, twenty grand and when something breaks...?! Let me just say that you need a hard reset on the car you are looking at - this isn't about affording the purchase, it's about the upkeep...

Like a horse: the least expensive thing is the purchase price...
Hey, I get your points about reliability being the more important factor when buying a car versus the expensive fast cars. I appreciate your input however to assume something like family members backing the purchase is a little condescending. I’ve worked my *** off with a part-time job at a company for nearly six years now and have been working throughout college. I’ve been saving little by little to eventually have a solid down payment. I’m not asking family members to help me get this for me, this purchase is solely on me. If family members contribute on their own it’s greatly appreciated but I’m not gonna run around with my hand out. As they say, to assume makes an *** out of you and me.

Last edited by Alarsen21; 02-03-2021 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,124 Likes on 750 Posts
12 E350 4Matic 13 E350 4Matic AMG Sport
Talking

Hey, I get your points about reliability being the more important factor when buying a car versus the expensive fast cars. I appreciate your input however to assume something like family members backing the purchase is a little condescending. I’ve worked my *** off with a part-time job at a company for nearly six years now and have been working throughout college. I’ve been saving little by little to eventually have a solid down payment. I’m not asking family members to help me get this for me, this purchase is solely on me. If family members contribute on their own it’s greatly appreciated but I’m not gonna run around with my hand out. As they say, to assume makes an *** out of you and me.
Life is about choices, you seem pretty set in wanting that V8, When offered a car in your color with tan interior and pano, in your price range, you respectfully declined. I understand, I wish you the best in your V8 search! I know Minnesota well, I worked in Wayzata
many times and built a cheese and whey plant in Turtle lake, I never met any young people there that didn't work hard and had a pretty good Idea of where they were going, I applaud your journey!
Old 02-04-2021, 01:59 PM

2013 E550 sedan
I did not mean to offend you, at all. From your posts it sounds like you are on a pretty tight budget. I'm trying to have you go into this with full knowledge - eyes wide open, so to speak. Our one owner, over-maintained fully loaded '13 we bought with abut 28K on the ODO. We bought an extended warranty (thankfully) and between normal maintenance we've paid and repairs the warranty co. has paid, we're close to $18K in costs over 5 years and 8 thousand miles. Now if you can do your own work, you'll save some, but it still is an expensive car, if things go wrong. We're keeping the car out of warranty - hoping pretty much all that can happen has. That said, I would not have this as my only car...

I'm sorry if I offended you and my point about a "backstop" wasn't about purchasing ability, it was about these cars are expensive if/when they break.

Again,
Good luck
The following 2 users liked this post by diesel_dan:
KEY08 (02-04-2021), pierrejoliat (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 04:16 PM

Chevy Malibu
Originally Posted by pierrejoliat
Life is about choices, you seem pretty set in wanting that V8, When offered a car in your color with tan interior and pano, in your price range, you respectfully declined. I understand, I wish you the best in your V8 search! I know Minnesota well, I worked in Wayzata
many times and built a cheese and whey plant in Turtle lake, I never met any young people there that didn't work hard and had a pretty good Idea of where they were going, I applaud your journey!
Hey,
I appreciate your input and thank you for your kind words. I thought you were selling a E350 in the color I was looking for. If you have a E550 for sale in my price range I would consider it.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:30 PM

Chevy Malibu
I did not mean to offend you, at all. From your posts it sounds like you are on a pretty tight budget. I'm trying to have you go into this with full knowledge - eyes wide open, so to speak. Our one owner, over-maintained fully loaded '13 we bought with abut 28K on the ODO. We bought an extended warranty (thankfully) and between normal maintenance we've paid and repairs the warranty co. has paid, we're close to $18K in costs over 5 years and 8 thousand miles. Now if you can do your own work, you'll save some, but it still is an expensive car, if things go wrong. We're keeping the car out of warranty - hoping pretty much all that can happen has. That said, I would not have this as my only car...

I'm sorry if I offended you and my point about a "backstop" wasn't about purchasing ability, it was about these cars are expensive if/when they break.

Again,
Good luck
Thank you for clarification. I apologize myself for misinterpreting your post and wording. I hope that there aren’t any hard feelings between us and hope you don’t take me as a arrogant a**hole because I came here looking to get guidance from those that know more about these cars. I honestly am on a relatively tight budget and appreciate your honest input on the expense these cars can have. With this additional information I might have to change my mindset and maybe look at other models that would better fit my price range.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
N/A
https://www.copart.com/lot/31345941/...atic-tx-dallas

For what this will likely sell for (no reserve, insurance sale) you could fix it and have a nicely optioned e550 with under 20k miles. Cheap way to go, if you have the cash and are not financing a purchase.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,007 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
Originally Posted by machinemanjr
https://www.copart.com/lot/31345941/...atic-tx-dallas

For what this will likely sell for (no reserve, insurance sale) you could fix it and have a nicely optioned e550 with under 20k miles. Cheap way to go, if you have the cash and are not financing a purchase.
I wonder what it'll go for... damage is always deceiving, but both headlights are intact and the hood/fender/bumper gaps don't appear too askew. Someone who could do all the prep-work themselves and then have it sprayed, could have a nice car if the price it right.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,620 Likes on 1,189 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
It looks like it hit a pedestrian with that tell-tale hood damage. No thank you
Old 02-06-2021, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Could've been a deer. That's what mine would have looked like a little more centered.. surprised it totaled that one but not mine.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My first thought was animal, in one of pictures there appeared to be a "tuft" of something brownish between the hood/bumper.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:37 PM

2013 E550 sedan
Air bags deployed? I've heard those can be pricey - anyone know what ours cost? And is it acceptable to put in ones from a wrecking yard, or do they have to be new...
Old 02-06-2021, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,620 Likes on 1,189 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
I would make sure insurance will cover a salvage title car and what the dmv may need to make sure it’s road worthy.
The following 2 users liked this post by KEY08:
bmwpowere36m3 (02-06-2021), diesel_dan (02-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ah, that deployed airbag would explain why this one was not repaired. That being said it shows a clear title, so I'm not sure it will be branded at all.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,283 Likes on 878 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4
Air bags deployed? I've heard those can be pricey - anyone know what ours cost? And is it acceptable to put in ones from a wrecking yard, or do they have to be new...

geez, there's like 8 or 10 airbags in a W212, and if they all went off, that means you have split seams all over the place. there is of course, the steering wheel and passenger airbag (heck, my 1993 E class had those), front and back seats have airbags inside the outer bolsters, then there are side curtain airbags that drop out of the headliner above the front and rear doors. so you're looking at reupholstering the seats, replacing the dashboard, steering wheel, and the headliner.

edit: ok, looks like just the steering wheel airbag went off. but between the buckled hood, the damaged front bumper cover, grill and some plastics under the hood, I'm betting that's $6000 or more in body work to make all pretty again. assuming the chassis didn't get tweaked. at least it didn't take out a headlight, those full LED headlights are $1600, and the power supply is another $900 if it got damaged.

Last edited by Left Coast Geek; 02-06-2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The W212 has a driver knee airbag and front driver/passenger pelvis airbags. It does not have rear side thorax airbags (at least not in the sedans). It of course has full length curtains.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yup driver's side airbag blew... that's another $1k. Doesn't appear like the pelvis or side-curtain airbags went off, nor the passenger side.

It all adds up, if the car has distronic and/or parktronic and those sensors potentially need to be replaced, bumper, trim, hood, radiator support, bodywork, paint... I'm sure there's a reason the insurance decided not to repair and auction it. Cars of that age and older with similar and more damage would have been repaired all the time in the past... the reality is labor, part cost and added electronics have made many vehicles not economically viable to repair anymore.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3
Yup driver's side airbag blew... that's another $1k. Doesn't appear like the pelvis or side-curtain airbags went off, nor the passenger side.

It all adds up, if the car has distronic and/or parktronic and those sensors potentially need to be replaced, bumper, trim, hood, radiator support, bodywork, paint... I'm sure there's a reason the insurance decided not to repair and auction it. Cars of that age and older with similar and more damage would have been repaired all the time in the past... the reality is labor, part cost and added electronics have made many vehicles not economically viable to repair anymore.
My car did not have any deployed airbags (or distroninc or parktronic) but the deer took out a headlight. Total cost was $13,500.
Old 02-06-2021, 02:56 PM

2013 E550 sedan
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
The W212 has a driver knee airbag and front driver/passenger pelvis airbags. It does not have rear side thorax airbags (at least not in the sedans). It of course has full length curtains.
The rear side bags were optional, at least for our year, as ours does have them... Or maybe we're talking something different... Weren't the '14s hood aluminum?
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (02-07-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can't find a decent e550 in my area