E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Check washer fluid light repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 02:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 E350
Check washer fluid light repair

I just wanted to pass along my experience fixing this nuisance code.

I got the message a couple of weeks ago at start up. You can make it go away by pressing the OK button on the left side of the wheel, but it comes back at every start. Of course, the fluid was full. I topped it off another inch or two, but that wasn't the problem.

After researching, it is a common nuisance message, and often related to the wrong chemical makeup of the washer fluid from one season to another. I saw the suggestion to put a pinch of salt in the washer reservoir, making the fluid more compatible with the sensor. That didn't work for me, because the fluid chemistry wasn't my problem, but it is a clever suggestion.

So, on Super Bowl Sunday, and my birthday, I decided to move my bones and work on this prior to sitting and eating all day.

On my lift (yes I have a lift, and yes, it is awesome), left front tire off, the front inner fender liner off, it takes 3 minutes, and I am staring at the washer reservoir from the comfort of my heated man palace.

The wires on the rear are the washer pump, the wires on the front are the fluid level sensor. One of my wires was broken and hanging off. This is a 2015, not a 1975. Naughty bunny chewing on it?

I stripped the two wires coming from the top and connected them together. I don't ever need a low fluid warning, my car is well attended to. A supplemental covering with heat shrink, started the car up and verified no more message. A little hint if you don't know ( I didn't) the wipers and washers won't work with the hood open. I had my hood open to let in more light.

Anyway, all fixed, cost was zero, I burned 24 calories before the football pigout, and once again the car is perfect. It might have taken a half hour because I pressured washed the underside for that showroom fresh clean look. I hope someone who is experiencing this issue finds it useful.
The following 2 users liked this post by leardriver:
Jesda (03-27-2022), pierrejoliat (02-07-2021)