Car too low - Error Message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550 Sedan
Unhappy Car too low - Error Message

Hi folks,

I have an 2011 E550. Just today I got a message on the dash that the car was riding "too low" and I should pull over as a result. Anyone know what could be the cause of this and what I might be getting into in terms of dollars to get it fixed if it is something I cannot do myself?

Interesting it was just in the shop for Service B maintenance and while some other things were found nothing like this was mentioned as a potential part that could be wearing out whatever that may be.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2021, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,282 Likes on 878 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4
I presume you have airmatic ? if you use the suspension adjustment while the car is parked and idling, does the car go up and down ?

a session of reading the xentry codes would likely identify more specific issues. candidates are a leak anywhere in the air compressor -> hosing -> valves -> air shocks, or a faulty sensor or sensor related wiring.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:12 PM

2011 E550 Sedan
It is an airmatic. It has been sitting off for a couple of hours. I just tried pressing the button indicating to raise the car up while it was idling and it worked. I drove it around a bit at 30mph. This time I did not get the message.

I will see if a garage will read the codes you mention to see if more detail can be had. I am assuming any garage can read the codes and I don't have to go to the dealer. Is that a correct assumption?
Old 03-26-2021, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,282 Likes on 878 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4
another useful test, park it when its in 'high' mode, and measure from the top of each wheel's rim to the center of the fender flare, wait a few hours, do the measurements again, see if any one or all 4 are dropping when parked. that indicates leakage... then you get the car on a lift, and switch it on, and go around with soapy water in a spray bottle, and spray it on all the airmatic shocks and hose fittings, and the compressor, looking for bubbles.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,007 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
As mentioned by LCG its an issue with the Airmatic... usually it starts as a leak, the compressor runs over-time and eventually burns up. Running full Xentry tests may/may not help depending on the issue... it won't help detect minor leaks that cause the suspension to settle overnight.

As far as a shop scanning for MB-specific codes, depends on what kind of scanners they may. Many indys have Xentry (the best for Mercedes), but there are others as well. Only Xentry would be able to perform the guided tests.

Before you go too deep in, see if the warning comes back. Also keep an eye on the car and if it seems any corner of the car drops overnight...

If it does drop, then perform the test in attachment. Basically park and lock the car, let it sit for 2 hours, measure each corner (wheel to fender opening), write down values, let car sit overnight, repeat measurement and record values. Anything more than 15mm drop indicates an issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LI32.22-P-048597_Ver_10.pdf (44.0 KB, 77 views)
Old 03-26-2021, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 884 Likes on 634 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
n
Originally Posted by nekton181
Hi folks,

I have an 2011 E550. Just today I got a message on the dash that the car was riding "too low" and I should pull over as a result. Anyone know what could be the cause of this and what I might be getting into in terms of dollars to get it fixed if it is something I cannot do myself?

Interesting it was just in the shop for Service B maintenance and while some other things were found nothing like this was mentioned as a potential part that could be wearing out whatever that may be.

Thanks!
Car riding too low is a result of compressor not being able to raise the car up to the correct level. If you go out and look at the car and it really is low then the compressor either failed or was disabled for running time to protect the compressor.

As I read your later post the car came up when you initiated the raised position. this is probably after the compressor cooled down and the system enabled it again.

You have a leak in the system. it is either in the air springs or the plastic tubing between springs and the valve block. The compressor seems to be working.

your car is 10 years old and it is time to replace the air springs, yes, all of them. spraying soapy water does not help other than places where you can see the tubing. At the springs you cannot spray in places where the leak is because that place is inside the spring where the rubber folds over itself.

I went thru this exercise hoping for the best and the best turned out to be replacing all the air springs.

Replacing these components is not throwing money away as it is a pretty well known fact that the air springs last about 10 years in these cars. This, of course, if you are planning to keep the car...

Pricing: Rear springs about $550 both from Arnott (thru Amazon), front air struts about $1200 each from FCP Euro. Job is VERY EASY.
The following users liked this post:
Chas0119 (09-25-2023)
Old 11-07-2023, 09:03 AM

2008 S550 4Matic
Hi All, and thanks ahead for any advice here.

My son's 2011 E550 has ye ol' air system malfunction and pull over, too low.
How he got here.... His Battery was dying. Thought a bad battery.... So first replaced that (along with auxiliary battery).. went dead again, so obviously something draining. Eventually he brought his car over and I noticed a faint noise when the car was off (pump was running) and sure that was the reason battery was dying. Replaced the 5 pin Relay in the Trunk and that stopped the pump from running... if I put the bad relay back in, the pump runs (so the pump is getting power). When the pump runs with bad relay in, the car does not raise at all.. To me, the pump sounds weak and maybe the constant running due to bad relay started degrading the pump.... but I don't know what a good pump would sound like either....so weak/bad pump is my assumption, but I was hoping for some kind of suspension rise when it was running with bad relay.

So with the new relay in, I don't even hear the pump try to kick on... car looks to be sitting as low as can be (evenly... not sagging more in any one corner). Starting the car throws the quick malfunction message then too low pull over. I'm assuming a bad pump and too weak to pressurize the system. Does that sound right? Or perhaps the pump is good and the valve block bad? Or is something electronically blocking the system from initiating? Would the valve block be electronically closed when the pump is running with the bad relay in place?

I ordered an Autel MS906ProTs as I also have an S550 and other branded cars (try to do most work myself).... The scanner comes Thursday so hopefully that might give some more detail / maybe allow me to manually initiate the pump and do some deeper troubleshooting before I throw a new pump in to start, then valve block / leak checks.

So I hear the knockoff brand pumps are not good and Arnott/Wabco is a must.... is that right?

I'll report back when I figure it all out.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by ameier; 11-07-2023 at 01:37 PM.