key fob keyless entry issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,151 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by KEY08
The GT350 I had, obviously a Ford, allows you to program your own new keys right in the center console as long as you have the two original keys. You can have up to six keys I believe. That’s the way it should be with every manufacturer. I don’t enjoy getting ripped off for such a simple request to have an additional key.
For Ford, there's a Forscan with scans all Ford and some Mazda specific codes and it's free. There's even a key program that allows you to program keys and add/remove it from the car. Nothing like that for Mercedes out there.
The following users liked this post:
KEY08 (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 03:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2010 mercedes e550
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
For Ford, there's a Forscan with scans all Ford and some Mazda specific codes and it's free. There's even a key program that allows you to program keys and add/remove it from the car. Nothing like that for Mercedes out there.
I guess, whatever it takes to squeeze more money out of the owner, even after the sale of the car, very sad...
The following users liked this post:
KEY08 (11-26-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 612 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by KEY08
When I bought a used 2010 E550, the dealer owed me an extra key as they only had one. When the new key came I picked it up and inserted it into the slot and turned it. The dash showed “key initiating” for a few seconds and then it was good to go. There was no dealer programming involved whatsoever.
I bought a used S550 and had to get another key for it. Pretty pricey at $600!

I was told the key comes from Germany. It took the whole week to get it so it probably did come from the main place.

The key came in a plastic bag and the dealer did not do anything with it. Before I left with the key I asked the parts clerk to test the key that it works and this test showed good on the door locks when buttons were pressed with key still in the bag.

Assuming all is good I went with the key but a couple days later when I went to start the car with the new key it would not. Door locks worked fine for the touch but obviously the key was not correctly recognized by the car.

Then just thinking about it if the key would need to be used once in the ignition I removed the start button and used the key in the ignition and the car started fine. After this the start button also started working.

From this I think the new key needs to be “programmed” to the car starting system by first using it as a manual key. Wonder if some other functions would get programmed this same way if the key was not originally fully programmed to the car, i.e. changing key components could cause the key to forget some of the programming?

It is easy for the OP to just use the key in the ignition and see if it helps. Nothing to lose here.
The following 2 users liked this post by Arrie:
BenzV12 (11-29-2021), CaliBenzDriver (11-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 09:20 PM

2010 mercedes e550
Originally Posted by Arrie
I bought a used S550 and had to get another key for it. Pretty pricey at $600!

I was told the key comes from Germany. It took the whole week to get it so it probably did come from the main place.

The key came in a plastic bag and the dealer did not do anything with it. Before I left with the key I asked the parts clerk to test the key that it works and this test showed good on the door locks when buttons were pressed with key still in the bag.

Assuming all is good I went with the key but a couple days later when I went to start the car with the new key it would not. Door locks worked fine for the touch but obviously the key was not correctly recognized by the car.

Then just thinking about it if the key would need to be used once in the ignition I removed the start button and used the key in the ignition and the car started fine. After this the start button also started working.

From this I think the new key needs to be “programmed” to the car starting system by first using it as a manual key. Wonder if some other functions would get programmed this same way if the key was not originally fully programmed to the car, i.e. changing key components could cause the key to forget some of the programming?

It is easy for the OP to just use the key in the ignition and see if it helps. Nothing to lose here.
try it already...
Old 12-01-2021, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,004 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
"Programming" is sticking the key in and the vehicle automatically writes in a new key track... as the key comes coded per the VIN. An extra step would be removing an old key track if it was stolen or damaged so it cannot be used in the future. There are some limitations, which at the time of purchasing the "spare" key I'm not sure they know. There's limited key tracks, so additional programming may be required.

Shop around, but arguing with them whether it needs to be "programmed"... it is what it is. All they really need to do is verify the ownership, that's why the vehicle needs to be brought to the dealership. Around here regular keys are $300-400 and KG are $500-600.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,004 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
For indys with a good relationship with a dealer.. they just send the key over to the garage for the end customer. Verifying vehicle ownership is on the indy... at least that's how is was before my parents retired out of the business.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:04 AM

2010 mercedes e550
Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3
"Programming" is sticking the key in and the vehicle automatically writes in a new key track... as the key comes coded per the VIN. An extra step would be removing an old key track if it was stolen or damaged so it cannot be used in the future. There are some limitations, which at the time of purchasing the "spare" key I'm not sure they know. There's limited key tracks, so additional programming may be required.

Shop around, but arguing with them whether it needs to be "programmed"... it is what it is. All they really need to do is verify the ownership, that's why the vehicle needs to be brought to the dealership. Around here regular keys are $300-400 and KG are $500-600.
lol,..I never argued with anyone, i was replying to someone else's reply, that the 3 different dealership parts clerk stating the same thing, about the requirements of getting a replacement key fob.

but, since i have full working key fob now, im only at this point looking to see why the fingerprint sensor is not operating., thanks

Last edited by reefguy; 12-02-2021 at 03:07 AM.