Dynamic seats vs Aux Battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 01:40 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
2011 E350 CDI 4Matic, Rover 75, Chevy K2500, 2 motorcycles
Dynamic seats vs Aux Battery

Hi folks,

So, dynamic seats are AWESOME! There is a problem with the passenger (right front) seat. The left bolster pops out of what seems to be the hinge and collapses back to its resting position as soon as the bag starts to inflate. Someday when I have time I want to take the seatback off to see if I can fix that. Otherwise the seats both work great.

The real question here may be something of an observation. The morning after a cold night or a couple of cold nights if the car isn't used the display will show Auxilliary Battery Malfunction for a while - maybe 10 minutes or so. My theory is that it is failing but after 10 minutes or so of driving it is charged back up to the required voltage.

The observation is that even on a not very cold morning such as today (-1C) when I turn on the seat heat, the Dynamic Seat action doesn't function. After maybe 5 minutes of driving it will start working moderately (a bit lazy and less than normal strength). About 5 minutes after that the seat will resume normal operation. My thought is that timing coincides with the Aux Battery getting back to full charge. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Now, all that said, my Aux Battery is NOT in the trunk. Does that mean it will be inside the left end of the dash?

Does anyone know the size number of the battery so I can change it, please?
Old 02-26-2023, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,389 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Sounds like your car has early design, not doing ECO stops, so you have small aux battery in the dashboard for emergency gear shifting.
It has nothing to do with your dynamic seats.
You can live with the messages for some time, but sooner or later you'll get annoyed enough to replace the battery
The following 2 users liked this post by kajtek1:
pierrejoliat (03-01-2023), slovcan (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 04:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by slovcan
Now, all that said, my Aux Battery is NOT in the trunk. Does that mean it will be inside the left end of the dash? Does anyone know the size number of the battery so I can change it, please?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
212 additional battery.pdf (259.8 KB, 25 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by konigstiger:
pierrejoliat (03-01-2023), slovcan (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 06:17 PM

Thank you both. Correct, no ECO start/stop function. But, it must be some sort of bizarre coincidence that the seat heat and dynamics don't work at the same time until 10 minutes or so into the drive and start working so lightly and then increasing to normal. Weird.

Thanks for the battery number, too. I'll order one when I get time - sooner rather than later.

Cheers,
Glenn
Old 02-26-2023, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,389 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
One thing I learned about digital cars on MB is that you can't take anything for granted.
You can't tell what software programmers smoke doing the job, so logics will never work here.
Having W211 in the past I did have "convenience items turned off" message on it, even my scanner was showing proper voltage. Since it happen during my vacations, took me a week to trace that battery clamp was not torqued properly.
Meaning the connection was good for engine starting but sensitive system would turn off AC (in 110f/45C weather) off, only because the software figured out something is wrong.
When I can't say precisely what is happening on your car, I think that long search finding that low voltage on aux battery will disable convenice item like dynamic seats would not be a big surprise.
Good luck on your digging
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (03-01-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by kajtek1
One thing I learned about digital cars on MB is that you can't take anything for granted.
You can't tell what software programmers smoke doing the job, so logics will never work here.
Having W211 in the past I did have "convenience items turned off" message on it, even my scanner was showing proper voltage. Since it happen during my vacations, took me a week to trace that battery clamp was not torqued properly.
Meaning the connection was good for engine starting but sensitive system would turn off AC (in 110f/45C weather) off, only because the software figured out something is wrong.
When I can't say precisely what is happening on your car, I think that long search finding that low voltage on aux battery will disable convenice item like dynamic seats would not be a big surprise.
Good luck on your digging
Thank you Krzysztof. I have quite a lot of stuff to do before I get to the aux battery - house reno, Rover 75 clutch among other things. I'll report back after I change it.

Cheers,
Glenn
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (03-01-2023)