Radar Sensor Replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 01:33 AM

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
CLS400 4Matic EC Tuned
Radar Sensor Replaced

Hey everyone,

Just had my radar sensor replaced, thought I'd come to this forum as it's much more active than C218. My left rear one died, and I got it replaced, and the blind spot sensor is working again. I am having issues with the lane keep assist features though. When my car goes over a broken white line, there is no steering wheel vibration thing to alert me that I'm moving out of my lane (obviously doing this on purpose to test the feature without signalling), and for solid lines (going over 60kph because that's the minimum speed to activate this), it does not work either. However, I realized when I turn the features from sensitive to off for lane keep assist, and then back to sensitive, it starts working again. I believe I have to turn off some other stuff too and turn them back on for this to work. I'm not sure if coding was required after my mechanic installed it. Every time I shut the car off, I have to do this all over again to get the lane assist settings to work again. Keep in mind, that all the settings are set to sensitive, they do not turn off, but even when they're on sensitive, they do not work until I turn it off and on again.. It was not like this before when the old radar sensor was functioning correctly.

Blindspot is always working btw, it's just the lane change that's acting like this.
Old 03-04-2023, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,121 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Lane Keeping Assist works via the camera in the upper windshield. I have learned that its function depends on the reflectivity of the lines on the road. Old lines on old, faded (gray) asphalt may not have enough contrast between line and road surface to work properly.

Drive the same section of E-W highway in the morning, then in the late afternoon (drive the same direction), and you should see some differences, due to sun angle.

It will seldom work at all on rain covered roads, because the sheen everywhere on the road disguises the lines compared with the rest of the surface, if that makes sense. Of course, when it's raining, I don't rely on LKA at all.

Just as your eyes can be deceived by changing lighting, so can this technology based on the same visual spectrum. So, I am not too worried when Lane Assist works inconsistently.

Last edited by DFWdude; 03-04-2023 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-05-2023, 01:43 AM

CLS400 4Matic EC Tuned
I've been testing it on the same roads, the feature doesn't work at all unless I manually turn it off and on again.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,121 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Just guessing, have you had the windshield replaced? I would pull the cover off the overhead console, and check for loose wiring to the camera. That's easy enough to do. Also check the windshield for any visual obstruction in front of the camera (inside and outside). I would also make sure the main battery is charged... so many glitches wind up being traced to battery charge .

Beyond that I'm stumped. If the camera works at all (it does intermittently) then it's not the camera itself, but something that powers/controls the camera. An OBD2 reader might be able to pull codes related to the camera.
Old 03-06-2023, 03:45 PM

CLS400 4Matic EC Tuned
Originally Posted by DFWdude
Just guessing, have you had the windshield replaced? I would pull the cover off the overhead console, and check for loose wiring to the camera. That's easy enough to do. Also check the windshield for any visual obstruction in front of the camera (inside and outside). I would also make sure the main battery is charged... so many glitches wind up being traced to battery charge .

Beyond that I'm stumped. If the camera works at all (it does intermittently) then it's not the camera itself, but something that powers/controls the camera. An OBD2 reader might be able to pull codes related to the camera.
Hey, never had my windshield replaced. I washed my car yesterday, then I put the car on charge as I remembered that when I picked it up from the mechanic, I got an active headlights inoperative, so I assumed the battery was low. I turned off a bunch of the features like DTR steer assist, lane keep assist, blind spot, and attention assist off, and charged the battery for about 4 hours on an 8A charger. Turned the features back on and I got that steering vibration back now. Didn’t test the solid lane pulling you back in.