Infrequent transmission problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 10:20 PM

Received 85 Likes on 25 Posts
2010 E550
Infrequent transmission problem

What would you do?

Car is a 2010 E550, 150k miles, last year on a hot day was stuck on the freeway due to a wreck, inching my way forwards and there was a jolt from the transmission, it happened a couple of times, even stalled the engine once, I pulled off the freeway, waiting for the car to cool and the jamb to clear then drove home without issue. No error codes or anything. In the following month it probably did a similar thing half a dozen times, never as bad as on the freeway, always when the car was coasting to a stop and at low speed, pulling up to lights or rolling into a parking space. Fast forward eight months, no more issues, had all but forgotten about it, until last week it shifted down early, I'd guess from something like fourth into third, again was coasting up to lights. Beyond these very rare issue the transmission performs beautifully, not slipping, smooth as can be.

The car had the transmission fluid changed at 60k and 120k so I'm halfway to the next change. I did some research and read of conductor plate issues, oil in wiring, etc. There are no error codes for the transmission. Until the latest issue (fourth to third), I was thinking I had an issue with the lockout solenoid, as that's how it felt, the car was going too slow for the torque converter to be locked but if it did inadvertently lock then it would make the car jerk forward.

I figure my options are (i) do nothing, after all it's so infrequent and doesn't feel as though anything is being damaged, my only reservation is that a car that changes gear when you don't expect it might nudge you into the car in front or something worse, (ii) change the fluid and see if there's anything bad in the fluid, (iii) drop the conductor plate and give everything a more thorough clean.

I need to crawl under the car to replace the engine oil level switch so will inspect the harness then, the car does have the pigtails at the camshaft sensors.

Lastly while the car is far from new it's in good condition and I love that NA 5.5, especially in the winter when there's no AC to take the edge off the bottom end torque.

Admittedly a tricky one, any thoughts?

Peter

Old 03-08-2023, 04:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2011 E350, 2020 C300 and 2005 C230
Peter, I had a very similar issue on my W203. However, unlike you, I had a code identified on scanner (iCarsoft) that stated a sensor on my conductor plate was bad. I replaced the conductor plate/transmission fluid. My issue was resolved. So, if you're dropping/cleaning the conductor plate, I would just replace it. Good luck.

Last edited by rodrigra94; 03-08-2023 at 04:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rodrigra94:
pierrejoliat (03-09-2023), Raj1471 (03-08-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 610 Likes on 460 Posts
W212 FL
Well, I would recommend you to go to a dealer or indy and make them plug in Xentry / DAS to check the codes, You may not see any codes but sometimes those can be stored and hidden . It did happen to me on my first W212 . Error light disappeared but when the dealer connect their device they could access a faulty message .It was just related to turbo pressure valve .
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (03-09-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 02:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300 E350
My car had a similar phenomenon to yours before. I had no choice but to go to the maintenance shop to check it. Now it has been repaired
Old 03-09-2023, 08:07 PM

Received 85 Likes on 25 Posts
2010 E550
Thank you for the replies, I was using Xentry with a pasthrough adapter to read the codes. My VGS is a version 3 so I'm going to do some research on what is required to replace, will also investigate rebuilt vs new, would lean towards new if they're still available.

Appreciate the input,

Peter