E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2013 E300 Hybrid Limp Mode - P2280

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E300 Hybrid
Exclamation 2013 E300 Hybrid Limp Mode - P2280

I hope someone can assist me to understand this issue. I get a code P2280 - Air Flow Restriction/Air Leak Between Air Filter and MAF. It is the only code stored. I have inspected the hose connected to the Turbo as well as the Air Filter. There also don't seem to be any other sensors on the air intake, i.e. the MAF sensor is connected directly to the Air Filter. The air filter box seems to be missing two out of the seven screws but can't be the problem seeing as to how difficult it is to turn these screws, they have been missing for a while. I have also replaced the air filter. How can there be a leak between the air filter and the MAF sensor and how can this be detected if there are no other sensors on the air intake? I have also recorded live data and it seems that MAF sensor is working as it is stable on idling speed and pick up gradually as the RPMs increase. When I get to 3000 rpm, the airflow drops suddenly but I believe the car is doing this as it is in limp mode. The pressure (MAP sensor) does the same. The RPMs don't get over 3150 but I believe this is due to limp mode. What else can it be and how do I troubleshoot to locate the actual issue? The engine intake hose, I belive does have 3 other sensors before the Turbo. I would however have expected a different error if the issue was after the MAF sensor. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Not familiar with your engine, but some of the codes are generic, meaning they point you into direction, not necessarily into the point.
Typical for my diesels is "waste gate" code, when the engine has no waste gate. It points to intercooler system leaks.
So check whole intake system and get those missing screws.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (05-08-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E300 Hybrid
P2280

Originally Posted by kajtek1
Not familiar with your engine, but some of the codes are generic, meaning they point you into direction, not necessarily into the point.
Typical for my diesels is "waste gate" code, when the engine has no waste gate. It points to intercooler system leaks.
So check whole intake system and get those missing screws.
Checked the whole air intake up to the turbo. No leaks, the issue is however persistent