E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

ESP / traction control off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 12:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
E350
Exclamation ESP / traction control off

All of the cars I've driven before had a button to easily turn off traction control.
Why don't we have it on W212?!
Is this specifically on W212's, or all Benzs are like this?

There's quite some (unusual) snow accumulation in my area after a winter storm yesterday.
When I tried to pull out of an intersection, both rear tires start spinning, so ESP cut power off to them.
Later I found it in one of the menu settings, but at the time when I needed it, it would've taken me some time to turn it off, even if I had known where it was in the menu.
It could've been a dangerous situation, to not able to turn it off to regain power.
Old 01-15-2024, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 914 Likes on 652 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by cooky01
All of the cars I've driven before had a button to easily turn off traction control.
Why don't we have it on W212?!
Is this specifically on W212's, or all Benzs are like this?

There's quite some (unusual) snow accumulation in my area after a winter storm yesterday.
When I tried to pull out of an intersection, both rear tires start spinning, so ESP cut power off to them.
Later I found it in one of the menu settings, but at the time when I needed it, it would've taken me some time to turn it off, even if I had known where it was in the menu.
It could've been a dangerous situation, to not able to turn it off to regain power.
I have a 2010 E550 and it has the button right under the hazard flash button in the middle of the dash.

My 2012 S550 does not have this button, it is selection in the menus, like it seems to be in your car also.

It is probably lower cost to build the car with having it in the menus as it takes just software programming for the function the button with switch itself and wiring has.
The following users liked this post:
Raj1471 (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 203 Likes on 140 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Yes, it sucks, my W211 has the button, my W212 doesn't. The first time I was trying to crawl out of my (then new) steep driveway and the car just gave up I was quite disappointed. Had I had a button, I could have simply disengaged the ESP and continued on. Instead I had to slide to the bottom, put it in park and fumble through menus. What sucks even more is you can't just temporarily disable it quickly without going through the menus. When you're stuck, you likely only need it off for 30 seconds, and then it may be useful again.
Old 01-15-2024, 08:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
E350
Just ran into another situation where I needed to turn off traction quickly but couldn't this morning.
Since then I've preemptively set the menu to the ESP option, so that all I need to do is press the "ok" button.
I lost the big speedometer in the middle, but at least I won't be stuck in a dire situation again.
Old 01-16-2024, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,449 Likes on 2,605 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Yes the ESP button is deep inside the instrument cluster menu and car has to be engine OFF first if I remember correctly.

I suggest you get simple but amazing non clutch based LSD, either from :
https://www.quaife.co.uk/quaife-prod...-differential/
or
http://www.wavetrac.net/

I have the Quaife one.
My original use intention aside from proper traction on both wheels , is also for un-even height drive way slope when I turn hard 90 degrees.
If say a left hard turn I do on the uphill slope, the right rear tire is late to the slope and may be in the air and open DIFF will not allow car to get proper traction on the left rear wheel.

Old 01-17-2024, 01:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 E550 4matic 180k Mi
Your description is confusing.
ESP worked for you exactly as it is supposed to work. If both rear tires are spinning, you are not moving forward at all or the way you like. Your tires have lost traction. So, ESP reduces power until the tires regain traction. When they regain traction, you can move forward. Turning off ESP will allow you to do donuts, power slides, etc. but will NOT improve your traction (no racing examples please).
I like the menu location of ESP. On another European make, I had an ESP button in a very accessible area of the vehicle. I stopped counting the number of times my (little) kids would touch it/step on it/have the dog step on it and change the setting without me being aware (there was no 'ok' to approve step). this was frightening in the beginning and annoying over time. I can not think of a single experience where I would have needed less than a single second to turn off ESP otherwise the safety of my passengers are at risk----The driveway is static- you know you might need when you approach. Stuck in mud--you know its muddy,a tow rope will probably be more effective. Snow--ESP keeps maximum traction (not maximum speed) to keep you out of trouble.
Sprihadi (your contributions are great!) - In my E, ESP is changeable with engine running, but must be in Park.
Old 01-17-2024, 02:03 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W212
As others have Said before, it really depends on the model. I think on earlier w212 they had the esp button below the hazard lights, and later they removed it or the other way around, don’t really know exactly. But for sure it’s annoying that they didn’t keep the button for all models right there, I don’t think it would mean anything cost wise to Mercedes, but hey, profits!
I also researched a long time ago about this but gave up on my thoughts to retrofit the button, as I would only need to turn the esp off maybe once a year, so it wasn’t really worth the time and money.

Theoretically, it should be pretty straightforward to retrofit the button. Just swap it (very easy to take out the vents and then just unplug the hazard lights part, put the new one with the hazards+esp and put everything back together ) and then you need to program the car to recognize that button, to allow you to enable/disable the esp. here is a video which shows the programming part… the part itself is very cheap, you can find it on eBay or some other sites for like 20-30€. I think the part number would be this one A2129051200

I am not completely sure if you can do this because I don’t really remember if it’s possible, but logically speaking, I think it should be possible. Maybe someone else with more knowledge could double check what I said..

anyway if you will retrofit the hazards/esp button, would be nice if you will update this thread with the whole process.

Old 05-01-2024, 12:20 PM

Received 113 Likes on 60 Posts
560SL, 380SL, E350
I did this on my 2013 US E350. Removing the trim was not difficult (following available instructions in this forum and on YouTube), and I had done it already replacing all of the trim (fading). Was it worth doing? Probably not, I may use this function one or two times a year.

You need to remove the vent (two pieces, actually) to get at the button. The vent is held in by Torx screws and clips. Remove the "big" (top?) clips first and angle them out. Be very careful not to break the clips, move them with appropriate trim tools just enough and no more to release them. I should have known better but I broke one (fortunately, there are two per side). Remember, this plastic was already delicate a decade ago!!! There is a video of how someone did this on the Internet but I could only find it once.

The Vediamo YouTube instructions in the post above worked for me somewhat well (I used Vediamo 4.02/open port clone). However, I did not find the appropriate item to change the menu entry the way that he did; I did not have the entry under Diagjob, so I went to the Coding menu directly and hunted for the ESP-Taster...Ya/Nein in the entries that I had available. I attribute this to differences in firmware or in CBF files.

As usual, YMMV, and these are not instructions on how to do this, just an account of how I did this. Use as a guide at your own risk.