E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Airmatic and paddles.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-350 Wagon
Airmatic and paddles.

New to the forum as well to world of Mercedes. Recent purchase of a 2014 Wagon and after searching the internet I've decided to join this forum to get answers to a few questions from the experts here.
Start with: Why do I have no control (via console switches) of my Airmatic suspension? Is this an option not put on my vehicle? I didn't even know I had one until one morning I got a warning that my car is raising up and not to drive. And that's only happened once. Any way to "set and forget" a sport mode setting? If I can't control my suspension then I'd rather install my suspension of preference and ditch the Airmatic.
Next: How do I get my transmission in manual mode? I have shift paddles but no apparent way to put in manual shift mode. Only Eco or Sport.
Those are my two biggies for now. The owners manual has been useless as well my internet searches. Thanks for guidance in advance.
Old 02-19-2024, 12:08 PM

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts
2011 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
Airmatic on the vehicle is controlled automatically by a ride height sensor that is located in the rear. It is designed to level the vehicle according to the current load in the back so as to have an even ride height front to back. As to the manual shift mode, it is controlled via the paddles only. The Eco and Sport mode control the shift points of the transmission. Sport mode will allow the gear to be held longer before upshift.
The following 2 users liked this post by Raj1471:
CaliBenzDriver (02-19-2024), pierrejoliat (02-21-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 01:03 PM

Received 177 Likes on 150 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
If no M mode you can program it in. You'll need some hstdware n software, and msybe pay someone to do it as well because it isnt easy.
Or just use paddles as-is and call it good. I can tell you you arent missing much, but if yuo just gotta have it, see above.
the setup I have, that can do it if i want, cost ~$800? There are cheaper but not sure what kind or how much
Old 02-19-2024, 01:05 PM

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
S212 E300
Airmatic is the name of the full 4-corner air suspension setup. With this setup, you get some limited control on height and supposedly firmness / sportiness.

All S212 (wagon) versions have air springs at the rear. This is purely for even ride height, no matter the load on the axle. There is no manual control for this setup, which makes sense, as you'd only be controlling the rear.

You probably only have air springs at the rear. You can check your version visually. This picture is of a car with Airmatic, you can see the small white air lines running to the top of the struts under the hood, the lines with the 90° bend in them:

If your car does not have those lines, you don't have Airmatic.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (02-21-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-350 Wagon
Recalibrate rear suspension setting?

Thanks for the informative replies. I do not have the white tubing running to my struts so no airmatic.
I still do not know why my wagon lowered over night. It was parked on a level spot, and in the same spot every night. Only happened once. 🤔 I really liked the look when it was lower and would love to keep it there as normal and only raise when I have a load back there. Any possibility that can be recalibrated?