Steering wheel swap question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 06:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 Mercedes E550 4-Matic
Steering wheel swap question

Hello everyone,

I have a question I swapped my steering wheel on my 2011 E550 to an AMG steering wheel that came off of a 2015 E550. The steering wheel looks great but none of the functions buttons work and also the horn doesn’t work.

Can someone help me figure out why the buttons are not working? Do I need to switch my column or can I just simply switch the ECU board from the old steering Wilton new one and has anyone done this before they can provide some suggestions or maybe photos or links with some instructions on how to do the swap? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

The top steering wheel is my original one, and the bottom one is what I upgraded it to.
Old 02-25-2024, 01:05 PM

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 E550
There is a chip in your original wheel that you have to take out and put it in the new wheel. The new wheel might have a chip that came with it so you would take that one out and use the original from your car.

If you have lane assist there is a vibrate motor that plugs into the chip if the new wheel doesn't have it you will get a lane assist error.

I replaced a 2010 with a newer wheel that looked like yours. If you take off those 3 bolts the top portion where the little cables plug in is the chip you gotta swap

Last edited by Boarderjosh10; 02-25-2024 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 E350 CDI
Bumping up this thread as I'm on a similar journey but with my E-Class. I have bought a 3 spoke steering to replace my 4 spoke one. I drive a 2010 W212 Pre-LCI. Unfortunately on arrival, I noticed that while the connectors match, one of the connectors has 5 wires in the new steering vs my original which has 3. After reading about being able to swap the board, I have renewed hope.

Current Steering

New Steering

This connector has 5 wires in the new steering, but only 3 on my current steering.

Appreciate any help I can get on how to get the new steering to work!
Old 03-01-2024, 10:15 AM

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
2014 E550
I think that's the connector for the airbag? Hard to tell but the plugs on the chip i think are all smaller.

Some of the cars have heated wheels, some have the rumble vibrator, both would have wires

It's possible everything works if you plug in. When I did my swap my wheel didn't have the vibrate motor so the car gave me a warning about lane assist.

But your wheels look like the same ones I had so they should match up to install it.