E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Solution to RPM surging/Tach fluttering, Transmission shift issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 RWD
Solution to RPM surging/Tach fluttering, Transmission shift issues

Jeopardy-style: Answer - "What problems did my differential fluid change, transmission fluid and torque converter fluid change, and service kit solve?"

I can't find all the threads here that helped me in this forum get to this conclusion but I rolled up on interrelated answers and wanted to share that when I took my 2011 E350 w/120k miles to my new-favorite indie and suggested this as not only a probable overlooked service item but answering several drivability problems, it did work. When it was all done, he simply said that all were definitely WAY overdue, especially the torque converter and the differential fluid which may or may not be a "lifetime" interval. The differential fluid change was probably the most key piece from a thread somewhere here. But servicing all this solved these drivability issues for me:

> Fluttering tach and surging RPMs - at constant speed, engine was surging 100-200 rpm. Not just an errant tach reading, you could feel and hear it..
> "Lugging" - Car was upshifting too soon usually at 3-4 and 4-5 shifts, resulting in a rumble that shook the car. Sometimes better in "sport" mode, but I'd paddle shift to manage it.
> Difficulty downshifting.
> Rough and noticeably noisier acceleration. I wrote this off to the engine and transmission mounts, but in fact it got smoother and quieter just with the transmission service.

So this post is really for searching purposes.

If you live in, or can get to, the Destin/Fort Walton Beach area of the Florida panhandle, my new fave indie who SPECIALIZES in MB is::
Stinehardt Imports - John Stine
Fort Walton Beach, FL
850-279-4055

This car was new to me at 60k miles as the 2nd owner. First owner dealer-serviced it but the servicing dealer wouldn't release records so after my first-fave indie did the once-over and performed some recommended services, I've basically changed the oil.

By the way - don't forget to wipe the phone contacts from your COMAND before selling/trading it! My car came fully loaded with contacts synched from the prior owners' phone.

Bitte schoen!