E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Results from oil/trans fluid are not good. What should I do? Metal/Breakdown in both.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350 Bluetec
Angry Results from oil/trans fluid are not good. What should I do? Metal/Breakdown in both.

First off, I know this car was maintained at least to MB recommendations, or I wouldn't have bought it. I know the former owner, he mainly drove on the highway. I mostly drive on the highway and figured I could go near the recommended intervals. This proves to be a mistake IMHO. I will be doing changes much much more frequent. I planned to own this car forever, I don't want to buy anything new and though the diesel would last 300k miles. So I got my fluids checked, it is true I had a small oil leak but at no time did the car have the oil light come on or run low(for long) that I am aware of. I do try and stay on top of this stuff.

I really am discouraged by the results, it's making me want to trade this car in immediately.

I would like to add an oil bypass filter but the options look around $700 dollars for something that should be significantly cheaper. I might still do it but would like some guidance on what you would do in this situation based on the numbers. I have ordered 2 bottles of Liqui Moly Cera Tec and plan to dump that in late this week when it arrives. I might buy a engine flush by them and try and get this metal out but I still have to deal with the transmission. It's hard to tell if it's slipping but sometimes it does shift hard, but I though that was just how it was.

Old 03-18-2024, 03:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
W212 (212.065/276.820)
From my experience, it's hard to access oil lab reports from a single sample. They are a great tool to understand tendencies but don't work very well as a snapshot. I don't know if MB publishes contaminants limits as well but it would be nice to compare to the averages given by the lab. Making sure that the oil samples were not contaminated is also very important to understand their results. Usually it is advisable take the oil sample from the drain oil stream after about 50% of the oil has been drained to avoid collecting the slush that accumulates at the botton of the oil pan.

Old 03-18-2024, 09:50 PM

Received 177 Likes on 150 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
Can't do anything about it now except try to limit additional wear. I wouldn't be too worried about it. Probably more about using 0W oil and going too long between changes. I'd say this is what happens when people do what Big Brother tells them to

There was a thread here somewhere were a guy wanted to pre-lube his eng on cold starts. He wanted to crank it but not start it. I suggested an external pre-oiler. Startup is where it gets you the most, so they say, so if you're concerned I'd get or make a pre-oiler.
I don't think a bypass will help much since whatever damage is done, but it certainly won't hurt.
I've never seen a bypass filter for sale, just home made. You just need a higher micron filter, a generic filter holder and some line/fittings. Easy stuff imo. You will likely need to drill/tap some holes, which makes most people very nervous, but I don't see the problem.
You can add a filter to the tranny too, if you wanted. Not a bypass, but inline. Same deal, but use a regular oil filter and you connect it inline on the trans.