Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 05:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,449 Likes on 2,605 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Rear (Left) Level Sensor - Angle vs Voltage

Gents,

This could be useful for some.

2 Sundays ago, I was driving at night and I realized my headlight LOW beam is too high.
I was fortunate to be within a housing complex where there are high white walls and trees.

ABOVE, this is the first time I realized something is wrong. I know my LOW BEAM headlight level very well. MB headlight setting is one of the most polite one,. because it is how legal low beam spread and height is supposed to be.

Now the trees can confirm the left side beam is very high. I am on a RHD car, so the Left beam is a bit higher than right side beam.

DAMN this is bad !!!!

Later on the road I was gauging the beam height again to be sure. I need an SUV ( like mini bus ) with high & flat rear azz door/trunk to see my beam height vs distance towards a car.

Duggghh !!!! if a small sedan and not tall, like a Corrolla is in front of me at 8+ meters away, I would be blinding him/her.

------

So upon arrival at home I verify what is my rear sensor voltage reading if car is at normal ride hide.
1.3V, that is wrong it should be 2.6V there about , like when it was zero position adjusted by MB Indonesia in 2014. when the car was assembled.

So I jacked up my car rear azz only to make sure the sensor can change value.

Here is also the first time I am seeing my headlight LEFT side fogging A LOT, during this headlight test.
Usually mild fogging is after I washed my car and turn on the headlight and it will go away within 1 minute.
So I was thinking....damn am I seeing bad contact producing low voltage ? Is my fogged up left headlight the culprit at its electronics ?
Left headlight is the Boss among the two lights, you see.

I then tested the light directional control using Xentry and all is good.
So I must have installed the level sensor wrong !!!!! angle. back in Nov 2023 when I replaced my rear suspension arm bushing and Camber Arms.
I never used the car at night till this night 16th June 2024, after that rear suspension work.

Next day I lifted my car up all 4 using Quick Jack and inspected the rear level sensor at the left side.
Dugggghhhhh...................... I screwed up a tiny bit it seems.

Note : Above is with car being jacked up on all 4 wheels, so suspension is in full droop mode.

So while I am doing the work, I might as well data log the voltage to angle reading.
Here I learnt that the sensor is not a 360 degree reading. It is a 4 quadrant unit, so it is 90 degrees per quadrant.
0.5 volt is lowest, 4.5 volt is highest. Usual 5V system protocol.

Quadrant separation point

So the correct install for our car is below with suspension full droop aka hanging : This orientation for the arm. Kinda heading South -west

Okey dokey..... hope this can help others.

Old 07-12-2024, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E550, 2017 E300
Where did you find the part # for the rear ride height sensors? For some reason I am struggling to find the parts in the MB parts schematics for my 2014 E550.
Old 07-12-2024, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,449 Likes on 2,605 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
It is under 35 - REAR AXLE >>>> see below

The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (07-12-2024)