W213 fully revealed. (Pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by shortspark
The warranty on my 2012 ML350 is up in June and this E class just might do the trick because I really don't need an SUV. But then I look at the new (and beautiful!) aluminum Jaguar XF with a supercharger doing 380 horses with five years full warranty and all included maintenance and wear items and I say to myself THIS is the car I want to drive.

But then Volvo announces the safest, most tech advanced sedan of all time, the S90, with an interior to die for and I say to myself that I have to have my butt in THOSE seats! Then Lincoln has the audacity to come out with a 400 hp/400 lb-ft torque MXZ with an equally beautiful interior (those in the Black Label Edition) and I say to myself THIS car will be a ball to drive and I can save thousands over the other brands!! That torque is in the Lambo Spyder range and the styling reminds me a lot of the Jag = very nice! Not to mention the new Lincoln Continental that might be the most comfortable American saloon of all time. And don't even tempt me with the new G90 from Hyundai which they say nearly competes with the S class at half the price!! How does one choose?
We apparently suffer from the same mental disorder. You named my entire short list (except for the Lincoln).

The Volvo interior looks nice, mainly because it's rendered in white and it's something different. The seats look very comfortable. I like the big vertical infotainment screen. Some of the interior, especially the center console, looks blocky and flat. I'd prefer the cut away for the gear selector face the driver. Exterior looks okay, depending on the angle. Front looks good, tail looks weird. Not crazy about the T4. Too much "meh" to pull the trigger.

Genesis G90, great looking interior. So much of an S Class rip off I don't think I could do it. I was watching a review of the car (in Korean) on YouTube and the only word I understood was "S Class". They said "S Class" about three hundred times. Exterior is better than the Equus but still too geriatric.

Jag interior is still trapped in the 90's, even though they just re did it. Build quality isn't great, ride is very stiff.

The problem with a Lincoln at a price that's half a similar size Mercedes is that unfortunately it's actually only worth a quarter. Same with Cadillac. They have some cool cars but they price them like GM had nothing to do with them.

Honestly, the best bang for your buck performance buy is the $45,000 2016 Camaro SS. 455 hp Vette engine, magnetic ride control, variable exhaust, heads up,great leather heated/cooled seats, available 6 speed manual. I saw one in person. Interior was not "luxury" but it looked and felt nice and suited the car. Tons of standard equipment too. If you could get past the cartoonish exterior, that car would be a riot. Look up some reviews on YouTube. It just got 2016 Car Of The Year in some category or the other. Built on the new GM RWD platform that carries the CTS.

Last edited by Mike5215; 01-12-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:17 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 CLS550
Very good points, Mike. I must say that the most fun I ever had in a car was back around 1972, when I had a brand new Firebird Formula - 4 on the floor. I red lined it through every gear and it was a ball to drive. In a way, it was a great grand-dad of the Camaro you're talking about. Back then I saw the car as thrilling because I had reflexes like a cat. Today, alas, thrilling has turned to scary because the courage of youth and those sharp reflexes have dulled considerably as I approach 70 years of age. Nonetheless, it is still in me a little hence my passing interest in a Jag and a 400 hp Lincoln. The Camaro no doubt is all you say it is but although it may be ready for me as I can certainly afford it, I'm not so sure I'm ready for it!

Oh, I almost forgot one - Buick LaCrosse. I want to see this one in person.

Last edited by shortspark; 01-12-2016 at 01:20 PM. Reason: additon
Old 01-12-2016, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by shortspark
Very good points, Mike. I must say that the most fun I ever had in a car was back around 1972, when I had a brand new Firebird Formula - 4 on the floor. I red lined it through every gear and it was a ball to drive. In a way, it was a great grand-dad of the Camaro you're talking about. Back then I saw the car as thrilling because I had reflexes like a cat. Today, alas, thrilling has turned to scary because the courage of youth and those sharp reflexes have dulled considerably as I approach 70 years of age. Nonetheless, it is still in me a little hence my passing interest in a Jag and a 400 hp Lincoln. The Camaro no doubt is all you say it is but although it may be ready for me as I can certainly afford it, I'm not so sure I'm ready for it!

Oh, I almost forgot one - Buick LaCrosse. I want to see this one in person.
I'm 54. Back in 2005 I went completely off my rocker and bought a new, 400HP GTO with a six speed manual for $28k. I hadn't owned a domestic car in thirty years. (The GTO was actually imported from a GM division in Australia for Pontiac, but close enough)

I hadn't been near a GM RWD coupe of any kind since the old Trans Am/IROC cars of the mid 70's. They were crude, cheap and looked ridiculous. But, on a whim I took the 2005 GTO on a test drive and fell in love. It rode so smoothly and quietly, the seats were terrific, it handled great, and when you went an extra half inch into the throttle, it transformed into a total beast.

I'm not a hot rodder by any stretch. I like a refined, smooth ride. But I thrashed the hell out of that Goat. You could take it to 130 on the interstate (so I've been told!) and it was totally composed. That 6.0 LS1 was barely taxed. Honestly, I traded it for an S500 ten years ago and I still miss it.

I'm gonna go drive one of those SS and see what I think.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Originally Posted by Mike5215
We apparently suffer from the same mental disorder. You named my entire short list (except for the Lincoln).

The Volvo interior looks nice, mainly because it's rendered in white and it's something different. The seats look very comfortable. I like the big vertical infotainment screen. Some of the interior, especially the center console, looks blocky and flat. I'd prefer the cut away for the gear selector face the driver. Exterior looks okay, depending on the angle. Front looks good, tail looks weird. Not crazy about the T4. Too much "meh" to pull the trigger.

Genesis G90, great looking interior. So much of an S Class rip off I don't think I could do it. I was watching a review of the car (in Korean) on YouTube and the only word I understood was "S Class". They said "S Class" about three hundred times. Exterior is better than the Equus but still too geriatric.

Jag interior is still trapped in the 90's, even though they just re did it. Build quality isn't great, ride is very stiff.

The problem with a Lincoln at a price that's half a similar size Mercedes is that unfortunately it's actually only worth a quarter. Same with Cadillac. They have some cool cars but they price them like GM had nothing to do with them.

Honestly, the best bang for your buck performance buy is the $45,000 2016 Camaro SS. 455 hp Vette engine, magnetic ride control, variable exhaust, heads up,great leather heated/cooled seats, available 6 speed manual. I saw one in person. Interior was not "luxury" but it looked and felt nice and suited the car. Tons of standard equipment too. If you could get past the cartoonish exterior, that car would be a riot. Look up some reviews on YouTube. It just got 2016 Car Of The Year in some category or the other. Built on the new GM RWD platform that carries the CTS.
- Volvo, although car looks nice, I doubt Mercedes buyers will seriously consider it. Volvo isn't a good for lease due low residual value. Long time reliability is also unknown.
- G90, major mistake of the Korean maker is trying copying reveals, if they targeted LS, now they switched to S class claiming longer wheel base and better handling due more rigidity of a body. However exterior is really awkward, Equus looked much better. Interior is nicer, although central console looks messy, they tried to mix controls from different makes and made the mess. Although price is half of S class I still believe S class buyer won't sit in Hyundai whatever they tried to name it But for E class price is still much better than G90 in any angle.
- Camaro.., I would seriously look in Buick Avista, if they pass concept state. The car looks really promising, and the concept exterior and interior look beautiful.
- Cadillac, they need seriously look in interior redesign. If car can look acceptable outside, it is still terrible inside.
- Lincoln, I want a new town car.

So far there are many nice offerings from all makers, but still I do not see any strong alternative to E class. Maybe only used S class?
Old 01-12-2016, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Well I sat in the floor display SS. It's a beautiful little coupe in person. Black minimized all the grille business up front. I'm not serious enough to have them pull it out and get it dirty but they have an RS so tomorrow I'm going back to see how the ride and handling are. No magnetic shocks or 454 HP though. Less than a 10% chance I'd buy this thing but I like to drive everything when I'm in the market. Sometimes you'll find a little gem you never would've considered.

The Buick I think is a wet dream at this point, and by the time GM's accounting department gets through with it you wouldn't recognize it.

Agree re: Volvo and Genesis. Not a chance an S Class customer would do that G90. But a Lexus, Infinity or Cadillac shopper might.

Last edited by Mike5215; 01-12-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 940 Likes on 686 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by MoneyVSOP
Maybe I'm just an "old soul" or something, but I hate the sports grill on this new E. Like the sport body style generally though. I'd take the sport body and throw the traditional grill and hood ornament on it. I wish MB would move back toward the traditional grill in general. I know I'm definitely the minority with that opinion, but oh well.
You may be in the minority but I am right there with you. It is disappointing how rapidly Mercedes moved away from the traditional grill on the C's and E's, but i guess that must be what the buying public wants. Why I don't know.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W211 E320 & W212 E550
The interior in the W213 is just wow!! I couldn't design it any better myself. The exterior I'm still skeptical about and really need to see in person. Some pics have favor, some are screaming "watch out for the grandparents". The w211 and w212 are still my favorite and hard to pick which one of the two. I'm sure the w213 will be stellar looking with just the right options. There are some I like more than others but for me it's really just splitting hairs. All these cars look better than anything else on the road. I want to order a w211 with a w213 interior??
Old 01-12-2016, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
You may be in the minority but I am right there with you. It is disappointing how rapidly Mercedes moved away from the traditional grill on the C's and E's, but i guess that must be what the buying public wants. Why I don't know.
You can have a traditional chrome slat grille and hood star on both the C and E. Just select the Luxury model vs the Base or Sport. You'll get all kinds of old school details and a wider selection of interior colors and wood trims.

In the "leaked"pics, the blue car is the Luxury model. Or config a C on the MBUSA website and see what I'm referring to.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:46 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
GLS450
Netcarshow

This site has great images of autos. Check out the multiple colors of the front lights. What's that about?

http://www.netcarshow.com/mercedes-benz/2017-e-class/

The App for mobile devices is nice too.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:18 AM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
Originally Posted by MoneyVSOP
Maybe I'm just an "old soul" or something, but I hate the sports grill on this new E. Like the sport body style generally though. I'd take the sport body and throw the traditional grill and hood ornament on it. I wish MB would move back toward the traditional grill in general. I know I'm definitely the minority with that opinion, but oh well.
No you aren't...at least as far as i'm concerned. If I had a sport model or AMG model I would swap out the grills and put a star on the hood.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:34 AM

My w211 is going to look dated next to the w213 :-(
Old 01-15-2016, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by RNBRAD
The interior in the W213 is just wow!! I couldn't design it any better myself. I want to order a w211 with a w213 interior??
Now your talking!
Old 01-15-2016, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
If car makers did parts interchangeable across all models line, then it was quite possible.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:38 PM

C207
The identity is more than sheet metal and headlamp styles. Each of the new sedans serves a different purpose. The S is big, soft luxury. The E is a youthful, tech laden, athletic business class car. The C is a quick handling compact sedan.

I think the personality and function of each car is enough to distinguish it from the others. They look like they were all made by the same company. My kids all kind of look alike too.

I do agree that when you see one coming you have to wait until it's close enough to see the few distinguishing features. I'm not sure how that has any effect on the lucky guy whose driving it.
Somehow, someway I liked your descriptions of each class LOL

Well, since I have don't have a sedan I am still kinda hopeful that the coupe version will look better. But, when I think about the new c class coupe, and just see the resemblance with the S class coupe, things don't look up.
I really like the big *** taillights of the current E, and now they are gone to mimic the ones in the little and bigger brother. Sucks.
Can the coupe have some differentiation please LOL
Old 01-16-2016, 01:42 PM

C207

Yeah, it is amazing what GM has brought to the table with the Camaro. Wow, what a performance.
I still prefer the Mustang between the two, thou in that class I dig the personality and charisma of the Challenger.
As far as performance and powertrains, I think the E is well served right now. You get the V8 and you have such a complete package with the rest of the car.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
New Buick Lacrosse

The Buick I think is a wet dream at this point, and by the time GM's accounting department gets through with it you wouldn't recognize it.

Agree re: Volvo and Genesis. Not a chance an S Class customer would do that G90. But a Lexus, Infinity or Cadillac shopper might.
Buick is coming out with a completely redesigned Lacrosse in Fall 2016. Probably not competitive with "E" or MB at all, but very interesting looking.
While an "S" Class customer would not go to a Genesis G90, an "E" Class one might.
Sat in a 2016 Genesis at a car show recently and it is very well done and they may up it somewhat when it morphs into a G80.
And MB is still stuck on its 4 year/50,000 mile warranty. Even Lexus has moved up.
2017 or 2018 look to be much more interesting years once all the "new" designs get here.
Happy Motoring!
Old 01-17-2016, 01:45 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 MB GLE 350
I like the car inside and out. I'm just still smh over the fact that they gave this car a 4 cylinder with 241 HP. I currently own a 14 MB E350 so getting the new E would be a downgrade in terms of engine performance.

I also hate the sound that most 4 cylinders have; completely annoying!
Old 01-17-2016, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by baadmon
I like the car inside and out. I'm just still smh over the fact that they gave this car a 4 cylinder with 241 HP. I currently own a 14 MB E350 so getting the new E would be a downgrade in terms of engine performance.

Not if you get the E43
Old 01-18-2016, 05:01 PM

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
2014 E350 Coupe (previous), 2016 C450 AMG Sport (previous), 2020 GLE450 (previous), 2021 S580 (now)
Originally Posted by baadmon

I don't know, I think you should wait to drive it before labeling it a "downgrade". If you were to remove the engine of your 14 E350 and throw this new 4-cylinder engine in there, then yes, that would be a downgrade for your E350, but this isn't your 14 E350.

Aside from the 2017 E-Class being 20% lighter in weight, literally no part or aspect of the vehicle has been carried over from 2016 to the new 2017. It's all new, inside and out, so I think we have to see how everything about the car (including the 9G-TRONIC transmission) comes together in terms of performance and comfort before we decide that this engine change was a bone-headed decision. Also, if someone is planning to buy an E-Class with the intent of driving super past, we know there will be 6 and 8 cylinder variants.

I don't really see or hear many 2015/2016 C300 drivers up in arms about their vehicles not having a 6-cylinder engine as past years did or saying they downgraded, since the new C300s feel quicker and more agile. Some would argue they handle just as good (if not better) than they did previously.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
I saw them at the auto show in Detroit.

MB is going to tell the bejeesuz out of these.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Previous: 2011 E550 4MATIC Current: 2018 AMG C 43 Coupe, 2021 GLC 300
Originally Posted by bob2011
definitely see the S class resemblance, I think that's how all the MB family of cars is these days days though, one sausage, different length.
Yep, with this change I won't be able to easily differentiate between C/E/S. The styling is fine, but wonder if S class owners feel sold out a bit.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:13 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by BMWtoAMG
Yep, with this change I won't be able to easily differentiate between C/E/S. The styling is fine, but wonder if S class owners feel sold out a bit.
nope
Old 01-19-2016, 12:44 PM

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
2014 E350 Coupe (previous), 2016 C450 AMG Sport (previous), 2020 GLE450 (previous), 2021 S580 (now)

Why should they? The S-Class is the flagship Mercedes-Benz model and pinnacle of their sedan line-up. They should feel proud that they are driving the vehicle of which the other sedans in the line-up can only emulate in smaller, lesser ways, to a certain extent.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:25 PM

C207
Originally Posted by LOGOSDJ
I don't know, I think you should wait to drive it before labeling it a "downgrade". If you were to remove the engine of your 14 E350 and throw this new 4-cylinder engine in there, then yes, that would be a downgrade for your E350, but this isn't your 14 E350.

Aside from the 2017 E-Class being 20% lighter in weight, literally no part or aspect of the vehicle has been carried over from 2016 to the new 2017. It's all new, inside and out, so I think we have to see how everything about the car (including the 9G-TRONIC transmission) comes together in terms of performance and comfort before we decide that this engine change was a bone-headed decision. Also, if someone is planning to buy an E-Class with the intent of driving super past, we know there will be 6 and 8 cylinder variants.

I don't really see or hear many 2015/2016 C300 drivers up in arms about their vehicles not having a 6-cylinder engine as past years did or saying they downgraded, since the new C300s feel quicker and more agile. Some would argue they handle just as good (if not better) than they did previously.

You got the link where it says the E-Klasse is 20% lighter?
Old 01-23-2016, 02:29 PM

C207
Actually, E-Klasse owners feel sold out. Plot twist.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W213 fully revealed. (Pics)