E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Soft Close Doors

Old 05-10-2018, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts
I must travel in different circles than others. In many years I have not had a passenger, be they friend or stranger, slam a door. I chalk it up to southern courtesy. One does not need a soft close door feature to firmly close a door without slamming it.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:46 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by ua549
I must travel in different circles than others. In many years I have not had a passenger, be they friend or stranger, slam a door. I chalk it up to southern courtesy. One does not need a soft close door feature to firmly close a door without slamming it.
i think you are. this is a common thread around the world, mostly because there hasn't been soft close doors for long.

but it is also a lack of attention and care to other people's property. there is no need to slam a door hard to close it. you just have to take care of moving the door more near to the car and then "launch" it. but people just get out of the car, take the the doors that are typically stopped at predefined points far from the car and then throw them.

The problem starts from doors not having different open stopping points, and Porsche is one brand that is already addressing this issue on Panamera. Then we need soft close doors that would work like it would be logical to do: to stop the movement just before hitting the car and then softly close it. Trunk doors already do something like this.

Soft close doors as currently implemented are not worth it. Many people will not use it properly or even know how to work with it. It is just another tech poorly implemented drawing more money from buyers and another failure point sometime in the future.