E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Returning a 2 month old car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 05:02 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
In this case, no update from the SA is NOT good. That likely means the part they ordered and installed didn't resolve the problem. Now they are scrambling. Give the dealership a call and ask for a current status update. Don't accept some vague response. The part they ordered either fixed the problem or it didn't. If it didn't, then you should ask for a detailed action plan as to what will be done to resolve the issue, along with a specific time frame for when each part of the action plan will be done. If the SA can't provide this, then ask to speak to the Service Department manager. If you don't get a suitable response from that, then escalate to MBUSA if you already haven't done so.

Just my suggestion of course. Not sure how hard you want to push this issue, but that is what I would do. Sometimes it's best to give the Service Department time to sort things out. Other times, if things drag on beyond on a reasonable time frame, you need to escalate the issue to get results.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 E400 Coupe
Got a call from Service. 9 working days in the shop. Two weekends in the shop. 13 days total so far this go round

The 'SAM' was replaced. They got a few error codes that they had to clear up. (So a new part gave multiple error codes). They have tracked them all down, they think but would like to keep it over the weekend. 10 working days. 6 weekend days 16 days total. I've had the car 30 days and this trip to the shop took up half of them! 600 miles total on the car when I took it in.

Going to the shop today and ask to see the car I want a record of all repairs and all error codes given by the car

I've been keeping MBUSA updated. They should have an answer next week on buyback.. Needless to say, no buyback - no more Mercedes for the family Turning into real bull*hit.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:00 AM

2015 E550 Coupe
Your plan sounds good. Definitely get that printout of every single repair attempted and error code the car has generated since you got it. Just in case MB chooses NOT to buy the car back and you opt to take them to court. There are always other brand options to buy. Having the nicest interior doesn't mean much if the car won't run properly or is sitting in the shop most of the time.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
If it were me, I think I would take the firm stand that you have lost faith in this particular vehicle. That you feel as though it may let you down and strand you when you are on the road. That it may be unsafe. I would stress your standing as a long time, loyal MB customer and that after such an ordeal with this brand new car--which has had much of its "newness" worn off in a workshop--that the only way you will feel safe, comfortable and happy, is with a another, brand new car. Best of luck to you.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:04 AM

2017 E400 Coupe
Just returned from the shop. My service adviser wasn't there. His manager wasn't there, yet. My salesman was at the desk getting coffee, looked up and said 'what's up?'

We caught up and I asked if he could tell Guy, service adviser, to get all work invoices and error codes the car has thrown ready for me on Monday when the car is suppose to be ready.

He threw his hands up (physically threw his hands up) and said, "I'm out of it. This isn't my problem." He then walked away across the showroom with his hands still up in the air. I said, "But Bill I need a little help." He said back to me, "I can't help you with it."

All the salesmen, other service adviser, hostess and billing department looked up with blank looks of, "You mean your not going to help him at all? You're just going to walk away?"

I thanked him for all his help from across the showroom and left. I didn't yell. Didn't use profanity. But, boy was I hot.

He called me back about 10 minutes later. He said I could pick up the car later that day. Service has drive it about 20 miles looking for service code errors and want to drive it over the weekend, as well. I said, "Boy, you guys get to drive it more than me!" Told him I bought a new car, not a car with a bunch of new parts.

I told him I have been going to the dealership for years without incident. Now, when I need their help with swapping out a car they won't lift a finger.

This is getting to be a joke.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
I'd certainly post the salesman's name as one to avoid.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I would get the names of those who witnessed this ridiculous behavior, as this is just more ammo should you need it. I think I would then phone MBUSA and tell them of this latest, TRULY AMAZING treatment you received when simply asking the salesman for some assistance. Sounds like this guy needs to go back to selling Fords--USED Fords!
Old 04-07-2017, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Would talk to the general manager of the dealership. The behavior is unacceptable. He may be able to get you a new car.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 Audi S8 Plus/ 2011 Mercedes e550 4Matic//Gone:1985 500SEL/2000 e320 4Matic/ 2001 e55 Kleeman
I guess this what expect from Mercedes now that they have risen back to being the number one luxury car manufacturer in the US, they just don't care and are not customer friendly. They wouldn't give me hardly anything off the fully loaded e43 I ordered in October despite being a loyal 30 year customer and the car being months late on delivery. I cancelled my order and bought an Audi, there are alternatives and keeping ones dignity is priceless. Good luck. Regards. Ned.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 323 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Can't blame Mercedes (there are lemons from time to time, hence "lemon laws", and I would never buy any first model year car from MB, especially an early production one) for behavior of commissioned employees of its dealerships. People are people and there're many rotten apples around. Sales people of any kind are "special" - their job after all is to screw buyer for money. I have zero expectations from sales department after sale takes place nor any "loyalty" from them if one wants a "deal" on an AMG model (even a sudo-AMG).
Old 04-07-2017, 11:57 AM

2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I would get the names of those who witnessed this ridiculous behavior, as this is just more ammo should you need it. I think I would then phone MBUSA and tell them of this latest, TRULY AMAZING treatment you received when simply asking the salesman for some assistance. Sounds like this guy needs to go back to selling Fords--USED Fords!
Exactly! This is the option OP should pursue. Just another incentive to push MB corporate towards giving him a buyback. As for the sales rep, well that is an issue to discuss with the owner of the dealership or sales manager, if OP wants to level set how sales people treat long time customers.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:08 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by threeMBs
I have zero expectations from sales department after sale takes place nor any "loyalty" from them if one wants a "deal" on an AMG model (even a sudo-AMG).
Bingo! To the vast majority of sales people, you the customer are nothing more than a transaction. A commission check or a check-off on their monthly quota. Once the transaction is done, they don't want to know or hear about a customer's problems with the vehicle. Sure they may say hi and chat you up when you come in for regular service, but that is only with the expectation that you will buy from them in the future. This is true for every vehicle brand, not just MB.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:08 PM

2017 E400 Coupe
I've been reading up on SAM units. They always work unless they corrode over time or GET WET! Not good. Big heavy flooding rain two weeks before buying this car.

I don't think it is the SAM, though. My money is on a short somewhere.

Called, but left a message, with MBUSA.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
Originally Posted by RickInHouston
I've been reading up on SAM units. They always work unless they corrode over time or GET WET! Not good. Big heavy flooding rain two weeks before buying this car.

I don't think it is the SAM, though. My money is on a short somewhere.

Called, but left a message, with MBUSA.

Well yes, but not quite. Electronics follow the bathtub curve (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve) in which there are a certain quantity of early failures followed by a long period of stability at a lower failure rate. SAMs in older cars mostly die due to water intrusion, but this happens after the rubber door/trunk seals are aged and degraded. If there were enough water in your car to damage the SAM, I think you would be able to tell.

Disappointing response by your sales guy for sure. I would just direct yours and other folks business around him and let karma take its course. While there's not much he can really do to help you - he is essentially just a retail clerk showing cars - I would at least expect him to do what he can.

I hope you get satisfaction one way or the other. I can certainly understand not wanting this car in your life at this point. That said, I remain skeptical that you will receive a buyback offer at this point. But look at the bright side - one more failed repair attempt and you have an airtight lemon case. Perhaps taking it back and driving it - hoping for a failed repair - is the best path to get what you want?
Old 04-07-2017, 12:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Too Many To List
CA dealers usually have a very limited time frame a car can be returned. This seems like a nightmare.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:48 PM

2017 E400 Coupe
I called to speak to the Service Manager (Guy's boss) to ask why, with a new SAM, were they getting error codes that needed cleaning up (Guy's words)? He said that was not the case. He said techs have driven the car 120 miles without problems (I've only drive the car 650 miles).

My next question, then, is why did they install the part and all is working yet need an additional five days to get it back to me?

Someone's not telling me the truth.

Service Manager was quite the *** on the phone. Flat answers. Very banal.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
I called to speak to the Service Manager (Guy's boss) to ask why, with a new SAM, were they getting error codes that needed cleaning up (Guy's words)? He said that was not the case. He said techs have driven the car 120 miles without problems (I've only drive the car 650 miles).

My next question, then, is why did they install the part and all is working yet need an additional five days to get it back to me?

Talk to the general manager of the dealership. Also contact MBUSA. Sound like real jerks!
Old 04-07-2017, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Try a different dealer. These guys are a lost cause because they seem exasperated with the car and their inability to solve the problem.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:37 PM

2015 E550 Coupe

At this point rather than further getting yourself worked up trying to get a more coherent explanation from the service department, which it doesn't sound like you're likely to get, just wait to hear back from MBUSA next week. Yes, you're no doubt extremely fed up with this dealership and the apparent lack of customer responsiveness, but further calls to them isn't likely to get you anything but higher blood pressure. Wait to hear back from MBUSA.

If MBUSA won't do a buyback or offer to swap you into another vehicle, then see if you can use your state's lemon law. Get that printout detailing all the error codes and time this car has spent in the MB service department versus the total time you've owned this "new" car. It won't paint a good picture for MB. However, it would buttress your case that the car is a lemon simply from all the time it has spent in the shop. Then whatever money you get back, use it buy something from another brand or a different MB dealership. If I were you, I wouldn't ever deal with your current dealership ever again, nor would I want another E300. The new E300 seems to have a lot of little gremlins that may be indicative of a first year new model. Get another model MB, another new car not something used, that's been out for a few years from another dealership, if you still want a MB.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:07 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 Mercedes E300 w/P1 and Sport Wheel pkgs
My Command system rebooted while I was driving about a week ago. The dealer picked up my E300 last Tuesday and it has been there since. They did a diagnostic test, identified fault codes, and have been working with Germany on a fix. They tried updating with the latest software/firmware, but that did not get rid of the fault codes. They have now decided to replace the entire command unit. They provided an ETA of mid-week to resolve the issue and return my car. As an IT professional, I do have an appreciation of how a complex mix of hardware and software will most likely experience bugs when a new design is rolled out. You just cannot test a piece of technology enough to avoid all bugs. What I pay attention to is how much effort is made by MB and the dealer to make it right with the customer, and I have to say I have not been disappointed in this regard. This dealer dropped off a loaner at my house (50 miles from dealership location) and picked up my car. In addition, they have done goodwill tire replacements twice in the last couple of months after I picked up nails. Despite the new design hiccups, I still think that the W213 is best in class and I have no regrets!
Old 04-09-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts
E300-4matic
MB corporate motto, "Who Cares"

I've been driving MB's for about 25+ years and one thing I can tell you from experience, the last thing MB cares about is their customers. It doesn't matter if you bought a Maybach or a C class, they couldn't care less and will do little if anything to help you. Your best course of action is twofold, firstly and most importantly, document everything you've done and said to try to resolve your problems as the dealer will deny anything you can't prove and MB will back them up, hence, that is why your salesperson is keeping you away from the service or sales manager, after all, one will blame the other.
Secondly, Ford had their Edsell and MB has their 2017 "E" class. Sure the car has lots of fancy things it allegedly can do but I'll be damned if mine can do any of them. My car has started using my smartphone exactly twice out of over 100 times and I have my own list. This is the lasting screwing I'm taking from MB, I'm waiting for the new Audi A8 to come out in August. As I mentioned I've been driving MB's for over 25 years but the focus at MB has changed, the only thing that company cares about is Revenue and nothing more, it's truly a shame as MB used to make very luxurious cars, now they're competing with the likes of BMW and Hyundai depending upon which price point your entering the market in.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by 1guitar
I've been driving MB's for about 25+ years and one thing I can tell you from experience, the last thing MB cares about is their customers. It doesn't matter if you bought a Maybach or a C class, they couldn't care less and will do little if anything to help you. Your best course of action is twofold, firstly and most importantly, document everything you've done and said to try to resolve your problems as the dealer will deny anything you can't prove and MB will back them up, hence, that is why your salesperson is keeping you away from the service or sales manager, after all, one will blame the other.
Secondly, Ford had their Edsell and MB has their 2017 "E" class. Sure the car has lots of fancy things it allegedly can do but I'll be damned if mine can do any of them. My car has started using my smartphone exactly twice out of over 100 times and I have my own list. This is the lasting screwing I'm taking from MB, I'm waiting for the new Audi A8 to come out in August. As I mentioned I've been driving MB's for over 25 years but the focus at MB has changed, the only thing that company cares about is Revenue and nothing more, it's truly a shame as MB used to make very luxurious cars, now they're competing with the likes of BMW and Hyundai depending upon which price point your entering the market in.
You evidently use the bottom tier of MB dealers. My experience is exactly the opposite of yours. The MB dealers I've used over the past 50+ years have provided proactive customer service with suggestions to address issues before they become problems all at no cost to me. Each of my purchases includes full maintenance service with equal/better loaners for 6 years.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would agree. My Mercedes dealer has been top notch. They go out of their way to make me happy. Service and Sales has been outstanding.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:19 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Originally Posted by PaulE550
At this point rather than further getting yourself worked up trying to get a more coherent explanation from the service department, which it doesn't sound like you're likely to get, just wait to hear back from MBUSA next week. Yes, you're no doubt extremely fed up with this dealership and the apparent lack of customer responsiveness, but further calls to them isn't likely to get you anything but higher blood pressure. Wait to hear back from MBUSA.

If MBUSA won't do a buyback or offer to swap you into another vehicle, then see if you can use your state's lemon law. Get that printout detailing all the error codes and time this car has spent in the MB service department versus the total time you've owned this "new" car. It won't paint a good picture for MB. However, it would buttress your case that the car is a lemon simply from all the time it has spent in the shop. Then whatever money you get back, use it buy something from another brand or a different MB dealership. If I were you, I wouldn't ever deal with your current dealership ever again, nor would I want another E300. The new E300 seems to have a lot of little gremlins that may be indicative of a first year new model. Get another model MB, another new car not something used, that's been out for a few years from another dealership, if you still want a MB.
This is the best suggestion to deal with those jerks. Be familiarize with your state lemon law. Save all receipts and document all phone calls with time and dates, and any other relevant info. But most important, NEVER mention to MB and dealer about lemon law! Keep it to yourself. If MB does not take back the lemon, this is your only choice. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 Mercedes E300 w/P1 and Sport Wheel pkgs
Originally Posted by 1guitar
It sounds like you have been dealing with bottom-of-the-barrel MB dealers. The dealers in my area go out of their way to make sure that I am happy, especially the one that I bought the car from. Your MB dealers reminded me of Ford and Chevy dealers that I used to deal with in my more younger years.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Returning a 2 month old car