E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Returning a 2 month old car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 06:32 AM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
Originally Posted by Flash Gordon
This is the best suggestion to deal with those jerks. Be familiarize with your state lemon law. Save all receipts and document all phone calls with time and dates, and any other relevant info. But most important, NEVER mention to MB and dealer about lemon law! Keep it to yourself. If MB does not take back the lemon, this is your only choice. Good luck.
The theme here being that dealers and the manufacturer don't know "Lemon Laws" exist?
Old 04-11-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 E300 4matic Sport
Great dealers help their customers when problems occur. My MB dealer experience has been excellent for the last 25 years.

Working with MBUSA is a process. It takes great patience to get MBUSA to agree to a problem serious enough to warrant a buyback. They will do everything and anything to try to fix the issue. But when all fails, and you are concerned about your safety, then they step up to the plate and do the right thing. I had a problem with my 2015 E350 and I was very satisfied with the end result...a buyback.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Originally Posted by JALLEN4
The theme here being that dealers and the manufacturer don't know "Lemon Laws" exist?
Not everybody in on top of everything. That's why many consumers won. If you have a bad product, it does not matter how well you and your attorneys know the lemon law. But I sure would not alert you on this!
Old 04-11-2017, 09:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 E400 Coupe
I picked the car up on Saturday.

I talked to a nice repair guy, Zeke. He said straight forwardly that when my car came back this last time they were all up against a wall. They didn't know what to do about the recurring warning light.

My problem is any electrical issue I feel doesn't seem right is a result of another thing wrong with the car. I have programmed all my Mercedes cars (and all non-Mercedes loaners) to open my rolling code garage door. This new car - I can not. I've tried for at least a hour over three or four times. Watched all videos, contacted Homelink, ... The salesman agreed to come home with me one day and program it for me. We'll see if it's even possible.

I feel like I'm driving an extended demo car. I'm just waiting for the light to come on again. I look down at my console constantly to see if it has popped up, again. Not how you want to be driving your new car...
Old 04-11-2017, 10:51 AM

2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Originally Posted by mjsbenz
Great dealers help their customers when problems occur. My MB dealer experience has been excellent for the last 25 years.

Working with MBUSA is a process. It takes great patience to get MBUSA to agree to a problem serious enough to warrant a buyback. They will do everything and anything to try to fix the issue. But when all fails, and you are concerned about your safety, then they step up to the plate and do the right thing. I had a problem with my 2015 E350 and I was very satisfied with the end result...a buyback.
I live in Central Jersey. Who is your dealer? I like to know. My recent purchase was at Benzel Bush in North Jersey, only first time dealing with them. The buying experience was good. My worst experience was with Ray Catena. The sales guy was rude so we walked out and bought it at Millenium which was bought out by Open Road.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by RickInHouston

I feel like I'm driving an extended demo car. I'm just waiting for the light to come on again. I look down at my console constantly to see if it has popped up, again. Not how you want to be driving your new car...
When the mechanic working on your car confesses that they really didn't know how to resolve your problem, that tells you it is only a matter of time until the warning light re-appears. So obviously you're going to feel that you're essentially an unpaid beta tester for MB's latest E model.

All first year runs of a new model car tend to have their little gremlins. Not just MB. That's how all auto makers gather data to refine / fix the subsequent years of the same model car going forward. However, you seem to have gotten one that has several intermittent issues and that has destroyed your confidence in being able to reliably enjoy driving your car safely.

I still think you either have a crimped wire or wiring harness or bad / cold solder joint of one or more electrical connectors. That kind of problem can be incredibly hard and time consuming to isolate. Especially with all the electronic sensors and various computer control systems built into all of our cars today.

Have you heard back from MBUSA yet? Did they give you a specific timeline for when they would getting back to you this week? Once they contact you, you'll know which path you have to pursue (MB buy-back or swap or go the lemon law suit in court)to get rid of this vehicle.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:54 PM

2017 E300 4matic Sport
Originally Posted by Flash Gordon
I live in Central Jersey. Who is your dealer? I like to know. My recent purchase was at Benzel Bush in North Jersey, only first time dealing with them. The buying experience was good. My worst experience was with Ray Catena. The sales guy was rude so we walked out and bought it at Millenium which was bought out by Open Road.
Contemporary Motor Cars in Little Silver NJ. Excellent dealership. I also use the re branded Ray Catena in Freehold but not in the same league as Contemporary.
The following users liked this post:
Flash Gordon (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 12:15 AM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C300 Sedan
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I see you are in California. I do not believe MB will take the car back, without you filing a Lemon Law suit, but if the evidence is overwhelming, they might. It would appear that most if not all of the problems are not safety related and that the car is drivable. So, I would leave it at the dealer for as long as it takes them to fix all the problems and keep detailed records as to how many days it has been out of your hands. Once the number hits 30 days, you are pretty much home free. In the mean time, I would consult an attorney who specializes in Lemon Law cases. Most attorneys who handle Lemon Law cases do so on a contingency basis, so it won't cost you a dime. Good luck!
I think the OP is in Texas
Old 04-12-2017, 08:17 AM

2017 E400 Coupe
I'm in Houston, TX
Star Motor Cars on Old Katy Road

My media player still cuts the first part of a song off when forwarding to a new song. I'm going to ask for them to replace the unit.

My Homelink still can't learn the rolling code (last step) - A rep for the dealership (Star Motor Cars, Houston, TX) tried (I picked him up, took him to the house and dropped him back at the dealership) and failed. They can't imagine it could be my LEMON OF A CAR.

My GPS is sometimes off. It thinks I went slightly too far before turning and then displays "Road Not Mapped" for awhile.

Searching and starting Navigation from voice doesn't take the 1 - 3 seconds the dealership E300 took. Mine can be anywhere from 10 - 45 seconds. Need that looked at.

Realized the pieces to get to something on driver's seat weren't snapped back together and plastic sill is raised. Need to have them put that back.

I'm getting VERY picky from now on and going to ratchet up the time I must bring the car in to get it to brand new delivered quality. It's not even close to this, yet.

Last edited by RickInHouston; 04-12-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:12 PM
off

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Audi Q5 Hybrid
I think the dealer has exhausted their technical capability in troubleshooting your car. I have a friend with a 911 GTS that had experienced electrical issues due to a improper battery installation. The dealer (Porsche West Houston) treated him like gold, and ultimately flew a Porsche factory technician from Germany to resolve the issue. That's at the minimum of what they should do; don't settle for any less.

It's clear that intervention from MB NA is required at this point.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:10 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 Mercedes E300 w/P1 and Sport Wheel pkgs
I'm in Houston, TX
Star Motor Cars on Old Katy Road

My media player still cuts the first part of a song off when forwarding to a new song. I'm going to ask for them to replace the unit.

My Homelink still can't learn the rolling code (last step) - A rep for the dealership (Star Motor Cars, Houston, TX) tried (I picked him up, took him to the house and dropped him back at the dealership) and failed. They can't imagine it could be my LEMON OF A CAR.

My GPS is sometimes off. It thinks I went slightly too far before turning and then displays "Road Not Mapped" for awhile.

Searching and starting Navigation from voice doesn't take the 1 - 3 seconds the dealership E300 took. Mine can be anywhere from 10 - 45 seconds. Need that looked at.

Realized the pieces to get to something on driver's seat weren't snapped back together and plastic sill is raised. Need to have them put that back.

I'm getting VERY picky from now on and going to ratchet up the time I must bring the car in to get it to brand new delivered quality. It's not even close to this, yet.
You had to provide transportation for the MB rep to come to your house? My dealer would have someone come to my house at my convenience and their expense. I guess the MB dealers in Socal have more customer-centric standards than Texas.😀 You need to move to Socal. The MB dealers out here treat you like royalty.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:18 PM

2017 E400 Coupe
i'm throwing down the gauntlet to the dealership and MB USA -

I am calling and asking to drive their test drive E to the house to see if it programs to my garage door. Either they stand by their cars and their car doesn't work either. Or the realize mine is a certifiable LEMON and it does program to my garage door!

How's that?
Old 04-12-2017, 10:20 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
The dealership already gave up on getting your car to handle your garage door opener propetly from your previous post. The more you keep giving this dealership third and fourth chances on every issue you have with this "new" car, the less incentive there is for MBUSA to do either a buyback or swap. Right now you can provide documented proof that the car has had so many issues, that it has spent more time in the shop than in your possession. If you continue to go back and forth with the dealer, which clearly can't resolve your issues, the more that works in MBUSA's favor to do nothing on your behalf.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:04 AM

2017 E400 Coupe
Paul -

I see your point and agree with you. I'm so done with this. Will wait on MB USA decision which should come any day. If they refuse to buy back, will contact Texas Lemon Law myself (or hire someone to do it for me).

Thanks for the post.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:00 PM

2017 E400 Coupe
MB USA hasn't responded to my buy-back after two weeks. This is past the window she said the decision would take.

Last edited by RickInHouston; 04-14-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 S550 ordered
It might be too late but note that in Texas only one party consent is required to record calls. It might be a good idea to get an app on your phone to record all calls with the dealership.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:32 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by DFW_Neal
It might be too late but note that in Texas only one party consent is required to record calls. It might be a good idea to get an app on your phone to record all calls with the dealership.
The dealership isn't the one that is going to either authorize a buyback or a swap of OP's vehicle. That comes from MBUSA corporate. All the dealership will do is continue to run OP in circles with endless service visits. I think OP has probaby had enough of that routine.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:44 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
MB USA hasn't responded to my buy-back after two weeks. This is past the window she said the decision would take.
Time to lawyer up then and sue MBUSA under your state's lemon law. Your attorney will notify MBUSA of the upcoming legal action. That may or may not be enough to motivate MBUSA to offer you either a buyback or swap. If not, then with all the documentation you have, the number of problems you've had and total time the vehicle has been in the shop versus in your possession, you should prevail in court. Then you can get another car that is actually fully functional.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:39 AM

2017 E300 4matic Sport
Originally Posted by PaulE550
Time to lawyer up then and sue MBUSA under your state's lemon law. Your attorney will notify MBUSA of the upcoming legal action. That may or may not be enough to motivate MBUSA to offer you either a buyback or swap. If not, then with all the documentation you have, the number of problems you've had and total time the vehicle has been in the shop versus in your possession, you should prevail in court. Then you can get another car that is actually fully functional.
Last year I had spoken to 3 different lemon lawyers when I was having problems with my 2015. They set my expectations rather low. MB is one of the more difficult manufacturers to deal with lemon law issues. Usually takes about a year for a resolution and more often than not there may be monetary settlement but no "buyback". Your inconvenience is not enough to justify a buyback and if the feature not working is not safety related, you might get some $$$ for the feature that is not working.

I decided to pursue my claim with MB without representation and after 6 months of persistent follow up on my part, did we reach a very fair buyback. Many discussions. Finally a settlement. And they won my loyalty that I ordered a 2017.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:54 AM

2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Originally Posted by mjsbenz
Last year I had spoken to 3 different lemon lawyers when I was having problems with my 2015. They set my expectations rather low. MB is one of the more difficult manufacturers to deal with lemon law issues. Usually takes about a year for a resolution and more often than not there may be monetary settlement but no "buyback". Your inconvenience is not enough to justify a buyback and if the feature not working is not safety related, you might get some $$$ for the feature that is not working.

I decided to pursue my claim with MB without representation and after 6 months of persistent follow up on my part, did we reach a very fair buyback. Many discussions. Finally a settlement. And they won my loyalty that I ordered a 2017.
I agree. It is premature to use legal action. Once you started this, there will be no more communications between you and MB, only your attorney. Work with MB by contacting MB again indicating that they are late in responding your case. Work with them for now but be prepared for lemon law when all failed.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:50 AM

2017 E400 Coupe
Haven't heard back from MB USA in over 2 weeks ( 3 weeks, tomorrow). I was told they would be back with my in 1 - 2 weeks.

I was holding off hearing from them because I need to get it back into the shop to figure out why Homelink isn't working (dealer rep verified) and to fix media player (can't play majority of first downbeat of any song, especially if you move to next track).

I hate this damned car.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
It appears the dealer and MB are doing everything wrong. I don't blame you for being totally miffed. This car will never feel right even after repairs. Hopefully, they will exchange it.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:39 AM

2017 E400 Coupe
MB USA won't return my calls. Not a good sign. Customer support is severely lacking after you buy this car.

Went to a second Mercedes dealership in Houston. I'ts nice to be in a big city with four dealerships in the area. BIG problem is the Mercedes rep is the same for all dealerships. He's the guy the call to check out a car and see what they will fix and replace of say / "no, that's how it's supposed to work".

I'm putting the car back in the shop with a new dealership because I think I need some fresh eyes and hands working on it.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:27 AM

2015 E550 Coupe
MB USA won't return my calls. Not a good sign. Customer support is severely lacking after you buy this car.

Went to a second Mercedes dealership in Houston. I'ts nice to be in a big city with four dealerships in the area. BIG problem is the Mercedes rep is the same for all dealerships. He's the guy the call to check out a car and see what they will fix and replace of say / "no, that's how it's supposed to work".

I'm putting the car back in the shop with a new dealership because I think I need some fresh eyes and hands working on it.
Best of luck with the alternative dealership. Maybe they can solve a few things on the car. Just keep your expectations low. Unless the service department at the dealership where you bought the car was completely incompetent, you're likely to get similar results at number two. Just keep documenting EVERYTHING, including how often you have been placing calls to MB corporate and not getting any returned calls.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
If everything I have read here is an accurate portrayal of what has actually taken place, I would return the car to the selling dealer and refuse to take it back. I'd call MBUSA and TELL them that the brand new car you bought is no longer anything even close to being brand new and that they can either give you a new car of your choice or your money back. I'd give them one week to make up their minds and then I would contact a lawyer. There is no way I would EVER drive that car again. If you keep giving them more rope on this, you are going to get hung out to dry.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Returning a 2 month old car