E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Returning a 2 month old car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 10:51 AM

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
Originally Posted by RickInHouston
Could my car have been a pre-production car?

Since I'm being told my car can't do things 'because of the VIN #'... Does anyone have anything they can tell me about a pre-production car?

No disrespect, but I can't help thinking of the saying about doing the same thing over and over and over, while expecting a different result. As someone else pointed out, it may be time to seek outside help. You can probably find one who will review your case for free. It seems to me that would be worth as much effort as your current dealing with MBUSA and multiple dealerships (over and over and over).
Old 05-02-2017, 10:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 E400 Coupe
I didn't look. Another mistake I made.

Paperwork says 10 miles. That seems quite unbelievable, to me. I suspect it could have been rolled back, somehow?
Old 05-02-2017, 12:49 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
How is a DELIVERY date of April possible when the car debuts June 2016? They get cars one month, in advance?

Delivery date is the date the factory released the car for shipment, not the date it was sold. Effectively it is the date the car came off the assembly line. Assuming it was built in Germany, had to be shipped to the USA, pass through customs, then shipped to the dealer - a manufacture date in April for a June launch seems quite reasonable.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Rick, look at the sticker on your B pillar. It will tell you when the car was manufactured. MB made a bunch of cars prior to release to dealers in June. As others have recommended I would get an attorney involved in helping you get resolution of your issues. (Hopefully a new car)
Old 05-02-2017, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,075 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Cao Black
No disrespect, but I can't help thinking of the saying about doing the same thing over and over and over, while expecting a different result. As someone else pointed out, it may be time to seek outside help. You can probably find one who will review your case for free. It seems to me that would be worth as much effort as your current dealing with MBUSA and multiple dealerships (over and over and over).
My thoughts exactly! Better call Saul!
Old 05-02-2017, 07:16 PM

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
Originally Posted by Streamliner
My thoughts exactly! Better call Saul!
Love that show, gets better and better.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,075 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Cao Black
Love that show, gets better and better.
Yes, and regarding the OP here, I wish him the very best of luck with this, I really do. However, I've decided that I'm no longer going to read this thread, as I'm going to wait for the movie to come out. Best of luck Houston, but I'm outta here.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:42 AM

2017 E400 Coupe
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Yes, and regarding the OP here, I wish him the very best of luck with this, I really do. However, I've decided that I'm no longer going to read this thread, as I'm going to wait for the movie to come out. Best of luck Houston, but I'm outta here.
Made me laugh. For once. About this entire ordeal.

I'm calling the dealership today to see what's up. Haven't heard a peep in about 11 days. It's comical without the laughing. Will see what dealership is up to then contact the attorney I have talked to and see what he thinks of this in terms of moving forward.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:58 AM

2017 E400 Coupe
Talked with the dealership. They have been waiting on software updates to the car. I asked about the paint problem and he said that was between Star Motors and me. I told him, "No, it isn't. It is between MB USA and me. MB USA represents Star Motors and the decision has to be made by them on my car. I told Greenway Plaza Service I will not pick my car up until a representative of MB USA sees the car and talks with me."

I then called Star Service and told him about the paint job since this was discovered after our relationship had broken down. Service is going to let Tom Jinks - new car sales manager of this development.

The letter to MB USA is drafted and being finalized by my wife (English major that is an incredible editor of words).

Looks like three irons in the fire, for now.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:55 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
This is like watching Soap, although I have not watch any. I can't wait to see the final episode. Rick, when you received a final decision. Please posted in a separate thread title it Final Episode in Houston.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:55 PM

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
Unless the paint problems can be determined to be a warranty problem, that matter is between you and the delivering dealership. Warranty work can be done at any dealership, correcting damage done to the car at or by the dealership would be their responsibility. The dealer is in fact not a representative of the manufacturer. The dealership holds a franchise that is governed by a very complicated written agreement and multiple State and Federal laws. While it is easy to understand your frustration and anger with the selling dealership, cutting off any conversation or contact with that dealership would not serve your purposes well.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:53 PM

2017 E400 Coupe
97 days of ownership / 35 of those days in the shop...and counting.

This is what it has come to. No one taking ownership of the problem. I am now making this my life's job to jam this car up Star's @ss.

Please forward this to Tom Jinks - new car sales manager.

Tom Jinks -

I don't think anyone really knows ALL the ongoing issues I am having with my 2017 E300 I purchased at Star Motor Cars on January 27, 2017. I talked with Guy in Service today. He said he would talk with you about the recent and ongoing issues.

As of today, the car has been in the service department 33 days since purchased. This is certainly not what you would expect from a Mercedes Benz.

The car is currently at Greenway Plaza Mercedes since Star Motors has been unable to correct all of the many problems with my car.

The most concerning problem is the incredible scratches found on the hood and trunk. Of course, I did not see them when I first bought the car. I only saw very light scratches that Bill Gaydosik said would 'polish out nicely'. Little did I know a professional wax job was hiding the bigger issues was the car was cleaned of all wax that had been applied to my brand new car by your dealership.

Please let me know how you will proceed. You might want to take a trip to Greenway to take a look for yourself.

He stated that since you are already in contact with MBUSA he felt that is your best option.

Bill Gaydosik

That's such a cop out! I'm bringing it over to your dealership when I get it back. Your dealership needs to see what they knowingly did.

Tell Tom he's a weasle for me.

R

Last edited by RickInHouston; 05-05-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:40 PM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Did you engage a lawyer experienced in your state's lemon law yet or is this personal letter writing campaign the path you are opting to pursue? As a suggestion, you really have to decide on which path you're going to pursue and then stick to it. Otherwise, this will become an endless series of dropping your car off for service and hoping something, anything improves. All the while more and more time passes, your "new" car becomes worth less and less and you get more and more frustrated.

If you have a lawyer engaged, let him or her handle everything including all correspondence with dealerships and MBUSA.While your letter is nice, at this point what do you envision you'll get from Star Motors aside from maybe the personal satisfaction of venting to the new sales manager at the dealership that sold you this car?

I would be incredibly surprised if this new sales manager agreed to do anything on your behalf. From his perspective, if he's like most sales managers, his obligation to you ended when you took ownership of the vehicle. Also, as only the new car sales manager, he does NOT have the authority to do much of anything on your behalf. He doesn't have the authority to order you a new car nor give you some cash settlement or buy-back offer (that's the owner of the dealership or MBUSA, if either were so inclined). He also can't get you better service or an escalated level of service (that's the service manager's job). Any letter on your behalf would have been better addressed to either the owner of the dealership, a senior representative of MBUSA or even MB corporate HQ in Germany. That is who most lawyers would target for any correspondence of this type. It also would be accompanied by the threat of pursuing a legal recourse in Texas courts should the matter not be addressed in a reasonable time frame. Which of course would be spelled out in the letter.

I really feel you got a raw deal with this lemon car of yours, but you have to handle it properly. Otherwise, MB will be more than happy to allow you to keep bringing your car in for various service visits until your warranty expires in four years. You'll drop it off, they'll park it in their lot while they work on other cars, then call you after a week or two and tell you they couldn't find anything so you can pick it up. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:02 PM

2017 E400 Coupe
The call came down from MB USA this afternoon.

They are buying my car back.

Thank you all for the much needed support given to me. I won't know more until Monday.

Thank you, Baby Jesus!
Old 05-05-2017, 06:55 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,404 Likes on 2,847 Posts
2012 CLS63
Congrats OP!
Old 05-05-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series

Thank you all for the much needed support given to me. I won't know more until Monday.

Thank you, Baby Jesus!
Awesome, I am happy for you! Keep us posted!
Old 05-05-2017, 11:54 PM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe

Thank you, Baby Jesus!
Congratulations!
Old 05-06-2017, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Congrats