E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Active Brake Assist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Mercedes Benz E300, 4Matic
Active Brake Assist

I just leased my first Mercedes, an E300 4Matic with Premium 1. I have spent the last week playing with the features and I have come across a possible issue with my Active Brake Assist. When I try to turn the functionality on (to any of the three options: early, medium, or late), within a second or so the car changes the setting back to OFF. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Old 03-31-2017, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,096 Likes on 724 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Golions1781
I just leased my first Mercedes, an E300 4Matic with Premium 1. I have spent the last week playing with the features and I have come across a possible issue with my Active Brake Assist. When I try to turn the functionality on (to any of the three options: early, medium, or late), within a second or so the car changes the setting back to OFF. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Are you sure that particular feature is available as a p1 feature in your area? In the US its only available in the p3. The non p3 cars have low speed auto brake but not active brake assit.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:17 PM

Are you sure its only on the cars equipped with P3? Active Brake Assist is listed on my window sticker as a standard feature. Its listed as code 258. The item is available in my COMAND system but when I change it, it immediately changes it back.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Are you sure its only on the cars equipped with P3? Active Brake Assist is listed on my window sticker as a standard feature. Its listed as code 258. The item is available in my COMAND system but when I change it, it immediately changes it back.
Absolutely certain. Just checked on MBUSA. Active brake assist is part of the "intelligent" drive system which is part of the P3 package. That's why it defaults to "off" in your vehicle. Aside from slow speed autonomous braking all the "active" safety systems are p3.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:43 PM

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:48 PM

Looking at the site, I think that the feature my car has is BAS (Brake Assist) but not Active Brake Assist. It is just weird that I can see the ABA in my COMAND system, the feature is not greyed out, and I can go in and change the setting only to have my car change it back to off. If you look at the window sticker (here is an example from this site, little bit difficult to see: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...wrooms-us.html) you can see that it lists Active Brake Assist under the standard features.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Looking at the site, I think that the feature my car has is BAS (Brake Assist) but not Active Brake Assist. It is just weird that I can see the ABA in my COMAND system, the feature is not greyed out, and I can go in and change the setting only to have my car change it back to off. If you look at the window sticker (here is an example from this site, little bit difficult to see: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...wrooms-us.html) you can see that it lists Active Brake Assist under the standard features.
MB tends to use terms weirdly in their "build" list. My guess is they have a limited number of preloaded terms that they use for multiple features. Regardless, you are correct, the p1 and all other E class cars include brake assist. In addition the option packages vary by model, while the p3 for the E 300 is 11K on the E 43 its 7k since the e43 includes more features baked in than standard model. That is one of the complaints some reviewers have had, though praised that finally basic autobrake is finally included on all versions, the advanced goodies are all lumped together in the most expensive option package.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
Active Brake Assist is listed as a standard feature for the MY17 E Class on mbusa.com. The part that is optional is Active Brake Assist with Cross-Traffic Function.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:27 PM

You have been a wealth of knowledge and I definitely appreciate you sharing it with me.
The way Mercedes packages things has been my only real complaint of my leasing experience/first week of ownership. To think that keyless entry (aka being able to lock/unlock doors while the key is buried in my wife's purse) is not standard on a $55,000+ Mercedes and can only be obtained as part of a $3100 option package that also includes autonomous parking seems very odd to me. Now this situation where they utilize the exact same terminology to describe BAS and Active Brake Assist for the purposes of the window sticker only adds to my MB "package" frustrations.
All that said, the car itself is wonder and while I was a skeptic, the 2.0 turbo churns out plenty of power for the driving that I do.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by ua549
Active Brake Assist is listed as a standard feature for the MY17 E Class on mbusa.com. The part that is optional is Active Brake Assist with Cross-Traffic Function.
YOu are correct! Basic autostop is naw included in the "active" moniker.

From the manual:

Setting Active Brake Assist

Multimedia system:

, 􀀹􀁈􀁋􀁌􀁆􀁏􀁈 . k􀀤􀁖􀁖􀁌􀁖􀁗􀁄􀁑􀁆􀁈 . 􀀤􀁆􀁗􀁌􀁙􀁈

􀀥􀁕􀁄􀁎􀁈 􀀤􀁖􀁖􀁌􀁖􀁗

Vehicles without Driving Assistance Package:

The settings can be made after starting the

vehicle.

Vehicles with Driving Assistance Package:

The settings can be made when the ignition is

switched on.

% It is recommended that you always leave

Active Brake Assist switched on.

The moment of warning or intervention can be

adjusted as follows:

# Select 􀀤􀁆􀁗􀁌􀁙􀁈 􀀥􀁕􀁄􀁎􀁈 􀀤􀁖􀁖􀁌􀁖􀁗 􀀺􀁄􀁕􀁑􀁌􀁑􀁊􀀒􀀥􀁕􀁄􀁎􀁈

􀀤􀁓􀁓􀁏􀁌􀁆􀁄􀁗􀁌􀁒􀁑􀀝 􀀨􀁄􀁕􀁏􀁜: your selection is retained

when the vehicle is next started.

􀀤􀁓􀁓􀁏􀁌􀁆􀁄􀁗􀁌􀁒􀁑􀀝 􀀰􀁈􀁇􀁌􀁘􀁐: your selection is

retained when the vehicle is next started.

􀀤􀁓􀁓􀁏􀁌􀁆􀁄􀁗􀁌􀁒􀁑􀀝 􀀯􀁄􀁗􀁈: your selection is retained

when the vehicle is next started.

􀀤􀁓􀁓􀁏􀁌􀁆􀁄􀁗􀁌􀁒􀁑􀀝 􀀲􀁉􀁉:

Vehicles without Driving Assistance Package:

The distance warning function and the

autonomous braking function are deactivated.

When the vehicle is next started, the

middle setting is automatically selected.

Vehicles with Driving Assistance Package:

The distance warning function and the

autonomous braking function are deactivated.

Evasive Steering Assist is unavailable.

When the ignition is next started, the middle

setting is selected automatically and Evasive

Steering Assist is available.

% When Active Brake Assist is deactivated, the

æsymbol appears in the assistance

graphic in the multifunction display

Note from the instructions: Vehicles without Drivers assistance package (AKA p3) the engine must be running to change the setting.

Last edited by c4004matic; 03-31-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:09 PM

So with all of that, are we now back to square one in that my car should allow me to set the Active Brake Assist to either Early, Medium, or Late and should not automatically be defaulting me to OFF?
Old 03-31-2017, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
So with all of that, are we now back to square one in that my car should allow me to set the Active Brake Assist to either Early, Medium, or Late and should not automatically be defaulting me to OFF?
Sorry for the confusion, my bad. Again, are you sure the engine is running when you change the settings?
Old 04-01-2017, 04:06 PM

I figured out the solution to my problem. I had been making the tweeks to my car while it was parked in my garage. Since the sensors were detecting things within close proximity to the car, it would not allow me turn on the active brake assist. I backed my car out into my driveway, where there was plenty of space, and I was able to set my Active Brake Assist.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:31 AM

2006 MB R500
2017 E 300 Active Brake Assist

Just leased a 2017 E300 sport. I am having the same issues as Golions relative to the Active Brake Assist settings. Does car need to be "running" and not sitting in the garage to get the settings to "take" and not have it default to "Off"? i.e., Premium 1 and like Golions have spent the last week playing with the features and I have come across a possible issue with my Active Brake Assist. When I try to turn the functionality on (to any of the three options: early, medium, or late), within a second or so the car changes the setting back to OFF.