E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Anyone experience the Acoustic Comfort Package?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,445 Likes on 1,961 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Egonvdv
no need to be patronising here. this is MY opinion. ( and i've owned 4 new MB's so far, so i think i have some experience)

And not that i need to defend myself but there are MANY people that share my feelings.

google this forum and you find a thread from a fellow Dutchman who experiences the exact same "problem"
and who had a long discussion with his dealer to try and fix it.
Sorry, didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers, I was just having a little fun. That’s why there is a at the end of my post.
The following users liked this post:
Egonvdv (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Sorry, didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers, I was just having a little fun. That’s why there is a at the end of my post.
aaah, ok then. sorry i misunderstood :-)
I am happy that for you air body works well, but I fail to understand why there are so many different experiences between drivers.
Though some people say it might depend on what engine you have and/or that it might be a software issue.
Al i now is that MY car drives like the 3 (non air body) E-classes i had before: very nice, but I definitely don't have that "driving on clouds" feeling :-(

Here's the thread from the Dutch guy BTW, in case interest: Problem with Air Body Control suspension - MBWorld.org Forums

Last edited by Egonvdv; 02-01-2021 at 04:00 AM.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:30 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
E300 de T 2021
Sound insulation

Originally Posted by Bobby4919
I've been driving my acoustic package (PAF) equipped E300 for about a month now and my impression has been favorable. It certainly is quieter than my 2014 E350. It's so good I can't hear the little 4 cyl engine banging away Still get some road noise from the run-flat tires.

The IR film built into the windshield is VERY effective. I'm in Florida and I would consider SOME type of film on the windshield necessary. I had installed Llumar's AiR clear tint on my windshield and sunroof in the E350 and it made all the difference in the world with heat rejection. In my E300 I had the side and rear windows tinted darker, up to the max allowed in Florida, and had the Llumar AiR installed on the sunroof glass. I've noticed no sunglass interference with the IR windshield, although it is a little difficult to find the 'clear' spots where an ez-pass will work. Had to look in the manual for those areas and once found, the ez-pass (or e-pass as we call it here) works fine.

Nothing extra was needed on the windshield with the PAF package. Not even sure I need to use one of those windshield reflectors when I park since there doesn't seem to be much heat making it through the windshield.
I have an E 220D estate and have ordered a new one but hybrid. The only regret I have with existing one is the sound from 4 cyl while a consumption sometimes down to 0.4 liters per 10km is amazing for a car this size. Have to keep the sound from my loved boat in memory, classic Volvo Penta based on small block Chevy with a stunning rumble sound.
New one includes ACP only for the sound from engine in city or when overtaking someone. Wind an road noice is very good especially with Michelin tyres (clear difference from Pirelli). For the suspension, haven’t experienced air suspension but the standard is extremely comfortable. Not sure if it softer on Exclusive (not available in Sweden anymore&#128545 compared with Avantgarde.

Will report when I compared
Old 03-23-2021, 02:40 AM

Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
20 E450 Luxury
Sorry, laminate acoustic glass is actually thinner and stronger at the same time.

Originally Posted by riamga
SAVE YOUR MONEY!! The only difference is that the two front doors have thicker glass,
other then that it’s not worth the money and I know what I’m talking about considering I had a 2018 E300-4matic without the alleged
Comfort Package which is supposed to be a quieter car, well it’s not and I used a decibel meter to check it and the dbs. we’re exactly the same.
Doc
i have new 2020 with acoustic comfort and it replaced a 2017 without that package. The package, for at least 2020 and 21 facelift, has ir/uv glass all around, not just front door glass mentioned in earlier sales brochures. It is a new ‘Grey’ glass membrane of better color accuracy than the previous green tints. Tint is 70% transmission. Front screen is a different formulation from PPG, with slightly higher transmission per US and EU regulations. Noticeably cooler cabin, period, plus excellent UV and IR protection on all glass.

This special membrane within the two pieces of thin glass also specifically attenuates sound in the approximate 2000-5000 Hz range, the range of wind noise, the swish of tires and other cars and such by about 6-10db (a significant amount). Besides just plain quieter, more importantly in this frequency range our hearing is most sensitive, such that this noise reduction gives the psychoacoustic impression of clearer speech and music reproduction within the cabin.

The doors have 20mm thick sound panels, double the standard car thickness. Flooring and trunk areas are similarly improved, as are the pillars. Net result is a much quieter car, no question. What it does not effectively eliminate is the vehicle’s own road noise and tire slap on rougher pavement. These sounds are of lower frequency and there is only so much sound proof padding can accomplish. These low frequency sounds are reduced, but remain still noticeable for sure. This is especially true in the case of the stiff sidewall construction of run-flat tires. I use Vredestein Quatrac Pro 245/40-19 and a spare which have less noise and a better ride that the 245/45-18 Pirelli OEM run-flat tires. This change over is an improvement, not a cure.

The glass technology is an area of recent, significant improvements, I believe the PPG 2020 windshield has only been in production since late 2019 for example. So, it is a case of a package undergoing a running production change without the marketing department even knowing about the details, if they ever did. Another point is a simple db meter will not do a frequency analysis. The crude sound energy measurement of predominate high energy, low frequency road noise gives a number that completely masks the psychoacoustic effect of reduced noise in mid-range frequencies..all the while a disgruntled, tone deaf owner concentrates on the eternal rumble of bad American roads. Drive on a reasonably smooth road surface and one then can experience the acoustic comfort package, ne plus ultra in acoustic control, quite different from most other cars. A not unrealistic comparison is the acoustic impression from riding in the S Class..

i would note that many cars are quickly adopting these new technology glass products for windshields specifically for UV protection, but not so much all around glass protection yet nor the special acoustic padding materials.

To put this another way, i would have acoustic comfort package over panoramic sun roof option as money better spent. I hope everyone finds this technical vignette helpful.

The following 7 users liked this post by Mike__S:
dukester34 (03-23-2021), gfmohn (03-23-2021), JTK44 (03-23-2021), Lanzz (03-23-2021), martinlarose (03-24-2021), Streamliner (03-23-2021), Turbocharged (03-23-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-23-2021, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,445 Likes on 1,961 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by riamga
SAVE YOUR MONEY!! The only difference is that the two front doors have thicker glass,
other then that it’s not worth the money and I know what I’m talking about considering I had a 2018 E300-4matic without the alleged
Comfort Package which is supposed to be a quieter car, well it’s not and I used a decibel meter to check it and the dbs. we’re exactly the same.
Doc
Why save the money? If you are 100% correct and the only difference is the front door glass like you say it is, it’s STILL worth the option price to me. $1,000.00 on a $70,000.00+ vehicle is nothing! If someone takes the time to order a new car, why not LIVE A LITTLE and get all the goodies? It’s just my opinion, but I would never pass on an option that makes the cabin a bit more quiet, never!
Old 03-23-2021, 12:05 PM

Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Why save the money? If you are 100% correct and the only difference is the front door glass like you say it is, it’s STILL worth the option price to me. $1,000.00 on a $70,000.00+ vehicle is nothing! If someone takes the time to order a new car, why not LIVE A LITTLE and get all the goodies? It’s just my opinion, but I would never pass on an option that makes the cabin a bit more quiet, never!
I have the package and I can tell that it is much quieter than my Audi Q7 Prestige.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 779 Likes on 616 Posts
I bought the package for the IR blocking glass that helps keep the me cool when in direct sunlight.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 565 Likes on 426 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
"Sensing" or "believing" it is quieter is imo, not scientific evidence and a strange way to spend $1,000. $1,000 is still a lot of money - at least to me!

The only true way is to take an accurate decibel test in two similar cars driving at the same speeds over the same road at the same time one with and one without the acoustic package.

Too many times I have read on this forum about one set of RF tires being "quieter" than another: Previously the Pirelli Centurato 7 that I have were considered very quiet. Now in this thread there is someone posting that the P7 are noisy.

These are all too subjective.

We need hard evidence. Until then I will have to "live" with my "noisy" E450 with P7 tires - which BTW I find the quietest car I have every driven and keep the $1000 for something far more tangible!
The following users liked this post:
ua549 (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 05:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 E450 4 matic
A lot of opinions on this subject, but I would think that the items listed below (a copy of the MB Acoustic Comfort package) would provide at least some additional noise cancelation.

"A suite of upgrades throughout the body and cabin make riding in the E-Class even more serene. The windshield and front door windows are all laminated with an acoustic membrane. The glass is also infrared-absorbing, helping to block outside noise and the sun's harsh rays. Higher-density rear-cabin carpeting, plus thicker insulation in the doors, rear shelf, and key body and interior locations, further quiet the cabin."
Old 03-23-2021, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 779 Likes on 616 Posts
I've driven on Pirelli Centurato tires since the 1950's. IMO they are quieter than Michelin and Continental tires. That said, IR radiation is more of an issue in Florida than tire noise - we have smooth roads. I've tried aftermarket window coatings on my other cars. They are expensive relative to their life. They only last a couple of years before needing replacement due to blistering, peeling, etc.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,426 Likes on 1,559 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
I would have to agree that $1,000 is nothing on a $70k+ car if you're spec'ing it. If you want a car to be as quiet as it can be, which I do, I see no reason not to get the acoustic package even without any imperical evidence it has any impact. Its not going to be louder...lets put it that way.