E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

UK Leasing Company Cripples all Remote Functionality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Weekend: 2010 SL 350 r230 Weekdays: 2018 E220d Coupe
UK Leasing Company Cripples all Remote Functionality

In the UK, a well known leasing company has belatedly communicated to customers that it is not authorising any of the E Class remote functionality.
The initial reason given was that they wanted to ensure customers booked their services through that company instead of direct with Mercedes. They also stated concerns about customers reaction when 3 year connected service subscriptions ran out when customers had longer leases. Upon challenge they started inventing excuses around security that don't add up. For example, remote tracking could allow a previous lease holder to track the car and steal it! So they view their own customers as potential thieves!
My car is going back. They did not advise me at the time of order that they were going to cripple the car's functionality in this way and I'm not prepared to put up with this nonsense.
Mercedes have to accept some blame in this as they will not activate remote services without authorisation from the lease company. Other manufacturers (Jaguar Land Rover for example) have chosen to ignore the lease company and will activate remote services.
My compatriots in the UK might know who I mean if I simply say Sex Leasing.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:08 PM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
That's bloody madness. Its impossible to track a previous owners movements. I bought mine as an ex demo as I'm terribly impatient when I've made my mind up. The dealer had already registered the car with Mercedes me. To transfer ownership and authorise me, as new owner, to access remote online services i had to be in the dealer and prove who i was and get them to activate it for me. So Luther are taking utter manure.

id be more concerned they'd be using the system to track me. I wonder if they really block it or activate it to themselves so they can monitor the car!? Certainly sounds like you've been misled about the features of the car so have a right to end lease without penalty. Good luck with it, does your company use other lease outfits or will you have to pass up on a different e?

Btw, sex leasing?! Do they charge you for 36 hours with 3 hours upfront? And how do they measure the co2 emissions of the, erm, service provider so you can calculate your BIK?!?!

Last edited by Proeliator2001; 04-05-2017 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Forgot a bit
Old 04-06-2017, 02:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MERCEDES-BENZ E350e
My lease company simply made me sign a disclaimer to enable full access.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220d
I just picked up my E220d via a UK lease company, and have had no trouble activating services. The only ones that arent activated are the ones I have to pay extra for as a subscription (eg: vehicle tracking/geofencing, mobile internet via vodafone etc) - dont want to pay the additional money for things I'm not going to use.
My lease company have not informed me that I couldnt activate these services. Maybe not all companies are aware of these services? or if they are perhaps some are more concerned about them than others?
Old 04-06-2017, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Benz-W213-E350e
My lease company simply made me sign a disclaimer to enable full access.
Could you possibly drop a clue around the name of your lease company?
Old 04-06-2017, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by dj131
I just picked up my E220d via a UK lease company, and have had no trouble activating services. The only ones that arent activated are the ones I have to pay extra for as a subscription (eg: vehicle tracking/geofencing, mobile internet via vodafone etc) - dont want to pay the additional money for things I'm not going to use.
My lease company have not informed me that I couldnt activate these services. Maybe not all companies are aware of these services? or if they are perhaps some are more concerned about them than others?
Hi - do you have lock\ unlock enabled for example?
Old 04-06-2017, 03:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MERCEDES-BENZ E350e
Originally Posted by arnsbrae
Could you possibly drop a clue around the name of your lease company?
No probs, Alphabet GB Ltd
The following users liked this post:
arnsbrae (05-02-2017)

Trending Topics

Old 04-06-2017, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Proeliator2001
That's bloody madness. Its impossible to track a previous owners movements. I bought mine as an ex demo as I'm terribly impatient when I've made my mind up. The dealer had already registered the car with Mercedes me. To transfer ownership and authorise me, as new owner, to access remote online services i had to be in the dealer and prove who i was and get them to activate it for me. So Luther are taking utter manure.

id be more concerned they'd be using the system to track me. I wonder if they really block it or activate it to themselves so they can monitor the car!? Certainly sounds like you've been misled about the features of the car so have a right to end lease without penalty. Good luck with it, does your company use other lease outfits or will you have to pass up on a different e?

Btw, sex leasing?! Do they charge you for 36 hours with 3 hours upfront? And how do they measure the co2 emissions of the, erm, service provider so you can calculate your BIK?!?!
Lol - We did give Luther the contract for our whole fleet, but that is going to change very soon.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220d
Yes, but had to take a trip to local dealers for ID verification for that.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:22 PM

The lease company will be taking the car back at no further cost to me. My company is also going to put the contract out to tender with one of the key questions relating to activation of remote services.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:48 AM

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
E220d
Good result. Hope there are some sensible companies out there.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:33 PM

Good result. Hope there are some sensible companies out there.
I'm thinking about looking at a business lease directly from MB themselves if they are reasonably competitive. At least there should be no fannying about with remote services with them!
Old 08-01-2017, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
Speaking of geofencing. According to the pohotos in the Itune app store, geofencing should be posible via the app,
but on my phone the function is not there.... it can only be done via the website?
Old 08-01-2017, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Egonvdv
Speaking of geofencing. According to the pohotos in the Itune app store, geofencing should be posible via the app,
but on my phone the function is not there.... it can only be done via the website?
Yes, as far as I can see that function can only be used by logging on to the website portal.
The following users liked this post:
Egonvdv (08-01-2017)