Noise when turning steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E200d
Noise when turning steering wheel

Hi all,

2-3 weeks on the road with my new E200D wagon (or break/station as we call it in Europe)

2 things I noticed with the car which is under investigation.
1) Steering wheel will be replaced by Mercedes. There seems to be some rough edges on the leather steering wheel. Mercedes acknowledged the issue and they will order a new steering wheel from Germany to replace
This is under control.

2) When I park the car and need to do steering wheel rotations the steering wheel seems to make some noise. a sort of cable sound manouvering the steeringwheel. Pretty strange actually. The faster you turn the steering wheel, the higher the sound (not louder, bit higher in tone)... Never had it in my last 10 cars... so just wondering if this unique to my car or not.

Familiar to anyone?
Old 04-27-2017, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
My guess the sound is more noticeable the tighter the turn? As I have discovered it a 4matic "characteristic". In fact, its the front shaft universal joints. In most FWD systems those u joints are silent unless there is a problem like lack of lubrication because of torn covers, however in MB vehicles they can make noise because of steering angle. One thing you have probably noticed is that most FWD vehicles have a rather wide turning circle that is due to the limits of the U joints. MB, being an European maker, designs its car with small turning radius in mind so as to facilitate parking in those incredibly tight European roads and parking spaces, thus they have designed their steering angles to go a little farther into the U joint maximum normal range of motion. This causes them to make slight repetitive thunking noise when you steer at maximum angle. If the vehicle is RWD this is not an issue since there are no U joints! So you can look at it in 2 ways. MB's 4matic system is a little primitive or they have pushed a little far to satisfy European parking realities. I think its a little of both.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E200d
Hi all,

Some updates.

So, steering wheel is going the be replaced under warranty. The leather seems to be somehow very rough instead of soft. Merc thought it could have been the plastic and glue that's actually on the steeringwheel during transport to protect but this doesn't seem to be the case.

The noise in the steering will also be fixed. Hopefully just some grease to be put on but eventually could be a refitting of the entire steering shaft.

So, ... made on a monday?
Old 07-26-2020, 08:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W213 / 220D / ESTATE / AMG LINE
Originally Posted by Privatembx
Hi all,

2-3 weeks on the road with my new E200D wagon (or break/station as we call it in Europe)

2 things I noticed with the car which is under investigation.
1) Steering wheel will be replaced by Mercedes. There seems to be some rough edges on the leather steering wheel. Mercedes acknowledged the issue and they will order a new steering wheel from Germany to replace
This is under control.

2) When I park the car and need to do steering wheel rotations the steering wheel seems to make some noise. a sort of cable sound manouvering the steeringwheel. Pretty strange actually. The faster you turn the steering wheel, the higher the sound (not louder, bit higher in tone)... Never had it in my last 10 cars... so just wondering if this unique to my car or not.

Familiar to anyone?
I have the exact same feeling in the steering wheel. Almost like you can't hear it, but feel it more? Did they find out what it was?

Cheers