MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   E43 Tune/ performance mods (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/665186-e43-tune-performance-mods.html)

NickBoz 05-04-2017 12:18 PM

E43 Tune/ performance mods

Hi guys,

I just bought a new E43 AMG and want to chip the ECU to increase original HP and Torque, its not slow, but I could use some more power.

Also, if there's any other possible performance mods I can do to the car, please let me know

thank you

mdot949 05-04-2017 03:25 PM

Congrats on the purchase! I just took delivery of my E43 last week and I am also interested in possible performance/exhaust mods. Cant wait to see how this forum develops as more of members acquire this vehicle.

c4004matic 05-04-2017 06:28 PM

Check Renntech.
Personally I would leave it alone given that its "tuned" already. The engine its rated for 329 hp. The other 67 are the "tune" which includes upgraded turbos.

kngreene 07-07-2017 01:34 PM

Renntech has added an ECU tune to their website.

I will be having my E43 tuned when it arrives in September!

eas43 07-08-2017 01:10 AM

Couple interesting points,
1: Mercedes M276 engine performance when measured, obtains higher power numbers than rated from factory.
2: Renntech tune adds 14hp/57lb-ft
3: Eurocharged Tuned Maximum Power Gains: +76WHP / +91WTQ

Performance Numbers Overview

E43 AMG Sedan (W213 | M276 | 3.0L V6 BiTurbo) Stock Performance:
Rated by Mercedes-Benz: 396 HP @ 6,100 RPM; 384 LB-FT @ 2,500-5,000 RPM
Rated by RENNtech: 402 HP @ 5,750 RPM; 414 LB-FT @ 3,600 RPM
Mercedes M276 engine performance when measured, obtains higher power numbers than rated from factory.

E43 AMG Sedan (W213 | M276 | 3.0L V6 BiTurbo) Modified Performance:
Rated by RENNtech: 416 HP @ 5,900 RPM; 471 LB-FT @ 3,300 RPM
Crank Performance Numbers are calculated with a 17% Drivetrain loss on 4MATIC vehicles.

c4004matic 07-08-2017 08:59 AM

More than 2k for 14 hp is extraordinarily expensive. The improvement in performance are fractions of a second and as anyone tunes or races knows with differences that small a tailwind or simply a cooler day might make the same difference. If you really want to go faster, for about 10k more you get an additional 200hp from a E63!!! Renntech makes good tunes, but in this case, the pricing is ridiculous. It just shows that AMG has already mostly maxed out the engine for day to day use.

eas43 07-08-2017 01:53 PM

Agreed. Curious what it took to get +76whp from EC!

petee1997 07-08-2017 02:59 PM

Once you increase the torque, there is only one place to go, more rpm. Since these cars redline at only 6K, that's the easy solution. That said, it also makes it easier to blow up the engine. This may explain why Renntech only got 14hp but got a lot more torque. That increased the stats marginally. It's the safe way to go.

c4004matic 07-09-2017 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by eas43 (Post 7203101)
Agreed. Curious what it took to get +76whp from EC!

More boost provided by larger turbos simple as that. The issue is there arent that many ways to skin this cat. As expected there isnt much tunning possible on an already tuned engine particularly of you want conserve OEM reliability.

conmax 11-05-2017 08:12 PM

AMR claims 100+ increase from their tune. of course, their dyno chart shows 416 hp peak which is 32hp. must be fake news!

AMR Performance 11-06-2017 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by conmax (Post 7304602)
AMR claims 100+ increase from their tune. of course, their dyno chart shows 416 hp peak which is 32hp. must be fake news!

We can assure you that the power gains are real as we have shown the vehicle performing and we are not new to the M276 platform. This power gain was shown "at the wheels".

"The 396hp you are referring to is CRANK (flywheel) horsepower. The chart above is a chassis dynamometer chart which shows power "at the wheels". The 416hp is "wheel" horsepower. https://mbworld.org/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

If you add the drivetrain loss to the 416hp (power at the wheels) you will see the vehicle is making over 500+hp at the engine/crank (flywheel).

You can see the power gain on the POWER PLOT posted above as we did a before and after. The vehicle's 394hp at the CRANK measured 318hp at the WHEELS on our dynamometer (dyno)"

Link: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post7304889

618 11-06-2017 11:19 AM

you have to understand the difference between crank and whp before you make blanket statements like that.

getmercd 11-06-2017 03:41 PM

That was probably one of the most ignorant statements I have read on this forum. Educate yourself, please.

conmax 11-06-2017 04:32 PM

thanks for the clarification. i fully understand the difference between engine power on an engine stand and RWHP. i have tuned my LT4 and my Duramax using HP Tuners. i would like to due the tune myself on the E43, but HP tuners only supports the E series V-8 not the 3,0

as for the negative comments, there are people on almost every board that behave this way. they are typically weak minded and feel stronger using the written word. most would be afraid to talk to others that way in person.

getmercd 11-06-2017 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by conmax (Post 7305236)
thanks for the clarification. i fully understand the difference between engine power on an engine stand and RWHP. i have tuned my LT4 and my Duramax using HP Tuners. i would like to due the tune myself on the E43, but HP tuners only supports the E series V-8 not the 3,0

as for the negative comments, there are people on almost every board that behave this way. they are typically weak minded and feel stronger using the written word. most would be afraid to talk to others that way in person.

You clearly do not and I do not know why you are mentioning rwhp with a 4matic vehicle, but moving on...............why would you want to self tune a Mercedes? These cars are not your cheap little duramax. Mercedes are purposely built to only be worked on by knowledgeable companies and cannot be programmed through the port. This prevents the fake "tuners" with laptops and cheap "self tuners" that do not want to spend money on proper software from touching the car.

All in all, you sound like an uninformed, ignorant cheap a**. Not sure how you found yourself in an E43, but I hope you don't treat that poor car like you treat your others.

Blacked out E63 11-06-2017 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by conmax (Post 7305236)

Love the new posts section. Always has a good laugh.

LMAO! First off, did you read what you wrote? You obviously didn't if you responded the way you did. You clearly do not know how to read a dyno sheet but yet you know the difference between "RWHP" and engine power? Not likely. Your response makes you seem even less knowledgeable then your first comment as well as makes you look more like a fool.

Just to clarify some things, tuning a Mercedes is not the same as tuning a Duramax (lmfao ... def going to screen shot and save that one for a good laugh). HP Tuners only supports the OLDER model C63's because it is a ME9 ECU and is NA. (do you even know that means? ... im assuming your going use google). You are running a BiTurbo V6 that uses a completely different ECU.

Gotta love the DIY tuners. You should of got a VW. Incase you didnt know this ... Its not a Chevy, its a Mercedes.

Regarding your last comment, not sure anyone is afraid. I would not have a problem giving you my address and telling you this in person. lmk

NickBoz 11-08-2017 06:52 PM

I've had my E43 for a few months now. I decided to go with OETuning option for the car, and along with that added catless downpipes.

This tune is awesome, I was able to achieve about 410 HP and 450TQ to the wheel on a dyno. I definitely feel a difference while driving, my advice to those who go catless, definitely find a good aftermarket muffler, the stock mufflers create such a bad rasp that I just went the cheaper route and straight piped the car, taking out my res and mufflers but I am going to put the resonator back soon, its so droney.

I had my car tuned by the guys at BenzWorkz in Huntington Beach, CA, I would recommend them to anyone!

FYI:Car was on California pump gas
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...0f11d615af.jpg

conmax 11-08-2017 10:41 PM

TUNE

Originally Posted by NickBoz (Post 7307004)
I've had my E43 for a few months now. I decided to go with OETuning option for the car, and along with that added catless downpipes.

This tune is awesome, I was able to achieve about 410 HP and 450TQ to the wheel on a dyno. I definitely feel a difference while driving, my advice to those who go catless, definitely find a good aftermarket muffler, the stock mufflers create such a bad rasp that I just went the cheaper route and straight piped the car, taking out my res and mufflers but I am going to put the resonator back soon, its so droney.

I had my car tuned by the guys at BenzWorkz in Huntington Beach, CA, I would recommend them to anyone!

seems like a good way to go. you got an actual tune for your car as opposed to a mail order tune which by necessity has to be more conservative. did they do a baseline measurement first?

another possibility is the $300 Dinan bridge controller. this sits on top of the tune instead of needing programming. i think these devices simply fool the ECU into thinking the boost is lower which increases boost by 2-4 psi. should be good for about 30 hp. has anyone tried this on an e43?

subzero05 11-09-2017 09:36 AM

im sure the Dinan would work fine on the E43, although im not sure I would "stack" it on top of a tune myself, but that's just me

ecmexchange 11-09-2017 10:54 PM

Are you just wanting the car to kick up faster, or are you wanting better gas mileage too?

c4004matic 11-09-2017 11:57 PM

The best performance upgrade for the 43 is a 63!

killascrimp 11-10-2017 02:53 AM

I JUST GOT MY C400 TUNED FROM BENZWORKZ

Originally Posted by NickBoz (Post 7307004)

Ya what a great SHOP I am so happy with the tune for the 400. They really know their stuff I would love to check out your E43 I am doing exhaust soon .. Thank God I found that SHOP I almost went w a 300$ piggy back then I found that shop and wow, very impressed...

Wookii 11-10-2017 03:31 AM

Good gain. But not worth voiding the power train warranty of a brand new car imho.

petee1997 11-10-2017 10:24 AM

c4004matic is right. The best upgrade is the E63.

Kdub$$ 11-16-2017 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by c4004matic (Post 7202939)
More than 2k for 14 hp is extraordinarily expensive. The improvement in performance are fractions of a second and as anyone tunes or races knows with differences that small a tailwind or simply a cooler day might make the same difference. If you really want to go faster, for about 10k more you get an additional 200hp from a E63!!! Renntech makes good tunes, but in this case, the pricing is ridiculous. It just shows that AMG has already mostly maxed out the engine for day to day use.

I just bought my 2018 E43...$76K. Best price on an E63 $110K. It's not just $10K more, but couldn't agree more with your other comment on the minor increase of power.