E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

New E class Review - One Month In

Old 07-10-2017, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E300
New E class Review - One Month In

Some quick thoughts on my new E for the group to check out:

- My car is a Selenite Gray e300 4matic (sport trim)

- The ride is incredible. I am coming from a 435i - a great car with gobs of power but three years of city driving led me to look into a smooth riding car. My wife's X5, which is smooth with plenty of ground clearance almost feels like a rough ride compared to the E!

- I got the air body control package - I've toggled it off and on and can't tell much of a difference. Hope to eventually gain an appreciation (FYI - be sure to turn this feature OFF before entering a drive through / self-propelled car wash!)

- For those who scoff at the 4 banger: Torque is sufficient and I never find myself needing more power. My old 435i feels unrefined and overpowered after driving the E. Obviously, this is a point of preference, my view only.

- I got P2 package and use the massaging chairs almost every time I drive - my goal is to wear out the motors before the end of my lease: high intensity heated back massage all drive, every drive. Having experienced the seats I would have paid double for P2.

- This might be due to some sort of wax my dealer put on the windshield, but the wipers are awful. Worse than Kia awful (Search for 'e class wiper chatter' in this forum and you'll see I'm not the first person with this complaint). Designing smooth wipers isn't a new concept, so I'm shocked Merc hasn't figured this out yet. Would love to hear from anyone who's resolved a similar problem. Consensus seems to be stripping windshield of any wax and replacing wipers modestly improves issues.

- I love the color; very rich and classy looking.

- I opted for 18" AMG wheels; plenty big for me - wanted to keep 'em small to preserve smooth ride. Nice touch of sport to the design.

- In the morning or early evening I like to drive with my daytime runners only (think it looks cooler). If you keep your lights in this setting and turn your car off, the daytime runners stay on.

- Still getting used to gear shifter being attached to the steering column. Have flicked it a couple times inadvertently when trying to signal or use wipers.

- Overall, the center console and storage area is slick, but the wheel controller just seems unnecessary.

Aside from my small nits, I love the car. Every time I drive my x5 or 435 it makes me appreciate the E even more (though the other vehicles have their merits!).

If anyone is on the fence - especially due to the engine size - pull the trigger and thank me later.
The following 2 users liked this post by AubreyMcClendon:
Drano64 (07-10-2017), off (07-12-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 07:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 E300
Agree on the BMW comparison- I came from a 2014 3 series and the ride was not as comfortable for my 40 minute commute after i moved. The power i find too is perfectly adequate for what i need. I do miss the extra oomph a little bit, but thats a nice to have for me. Comfort and tech are what i put at the top of my l list.

Agree on the luxury seats-- one of my top things i love about the E300!!
Old 07-11-2017, 02:06 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Weekend: 2010 SL 350 r230 Weekdays: 2018 E220d Coupe
I found the wipers on the W213 to be just a little bit juddery at the end of sweep. However, the wipers on the new E Class Coupe use a different system and they are brilliant.

Presumably they'll start fitting the "Magic Vision" wipers to the W213 in future years.