E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Window scratches

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 08:59 PM

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
E300
Window scratches

My 2017 E300 was at the dealer for service last week. They washed the car while it was there. Yesterday I noticed that there are swirling scratches all over the front and rear windows, like someone used a rag with something abrasive. The scratches are only visible when driving into bright sunlight which is why I didn't notice them until a few days after picking up the car and also why I'm not sure about whether the side windows are also scratched. I have a call in to the dealer and am awaiting a call back. I have a feeling they will try to deny responsibility because it took a few days to notice the scratches. They definitely weren't present before the dealer washed the car and the car had only been washed the one time at the dealer when the scratches appeared. I'm not sure if my comprehensive insurance covers this if the dealer doesn't. I have a feeling it will be expensive. Sorry--I have to vent.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
Originally Posted by Tiburonsteve
My 2017 E300 was at the dealer for service last week. They washed the car while it was there. Yesterday I noticed that there are swirling scratches all over the front and rear windows, like someone used a rag with something abrasive. The scratches are only visible when driving into bright sunlight which is why I didn't notice them until a few days after picking up the car and also why I'm not sure about whether the side windows are also scratched. I have a call in to the dealer and am awaiting a call back. I have a feeling they will try to deny responsibility because it took a few days to notice the scratches. They definitely weren't present before the dealer washed the car and the car had only been washed the one time at the dealer when the scratches appeared. I'm not sure if my comprehensive insurance covers this if the dealer doesn't. I have a feeling it will be expensive. Sorry--I have to vent.
Glass can be polished, just like paint. Not to worry! I assume that you tried to clean the glass already? It's surprising if it scratched that easily, I use a razor blade on my windshield to get bugs off before cleaning and even that doesn't scratch.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic
Seems very possible. The parking at my job is very dusty and there's a lot of wind. Every time I go in or out, I must open the window to pass my card to open the gate. With time, the dust particules scratched my driver side window so much I can see it from outside when washing the car. Very glad to hear that it can be polished because even with my future E300 it will be a problem...
Old 08-27-2017, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 818 Likes on 649 Posts
Have you considered having a window coating installed on the outside of the glass?
Old 08-28-2017, 07:51 PM

E300
Window scratches

After losing some sleep worrying about the scratches in my windshield, I took the car to the dealer. They had their detailing people work on it while I waited and it appears that the scratches--or whatever they were (they looked like dozens of fine swirling lines all over the glass--are gone. They're also sending their "Technologist" to my house this week to teach us more about operating the car. I've had issues with Mercedes service in the past (with other cars) but give them credit this time.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204
Just wonder how they deal with swirling lines on glass. How do they do?
Old 09-11-2017, 01:03 AM

E300
Window scratches

I wish I could tell you. The dealter took my car back to their detail department for about 40 minutes and it emerged without the scratches. I assume they used some kind of cleaning compound on the windshield but I have no idea what it was. I also assume that what appeared to be many scratches must have been superficial, possibly from when the dealer washed the car when it was in for service the previous week.