E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Things that you would change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Still learning all the goodies on my 2018 E400 Coupe, which I've had for only 3 weeks, but there are some minor features that I miss from my previous cars (in no particular order):

1. Driver's seat does not automatically slide back to facilitate entering and exiting the car.
2. Doesn't have presets for favorite radio stations.
3. Doesn't allow user to store favorite destinations (but it can find many locations on its own).
4. Doesn't memorize car's current location for future reference (e.g., someplace with no name or street address).

Of course, the list of things I much prefer and which simply work better in the new car is significantly longer.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 296 Likes on 224 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
number 1 is available as an option, but 2/3/4 are possible with command..
Old 11-30-2017, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,102 Likes on 727 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
The only things I would add are: 1- proximity lights, for example, in our Acura vehicles the inerior lights light up as you approach the car, no fob interaction is needed. 2- automatic seats linked to the fob that move the seats automatically to the memory position, at least make the memory a 1- touch feature. Having to hold the button the entire time is truly retarded. 3- finally.. you could make the owners manaul 1/2 its size by removing all the idiotic warnings. I think most people know that if you drive the car off a cliff there is the possibility of injury....or death. Furthermore, since the manual would be half the size it would fit in the ludicrously small glove compartment.
PS... Not having the fusebox diagrams in the owners manual is almost criminally negligent. Stashing it in a piece of rotting paper in "some fuse box" somewhere and printed in microfilm size is definitely not "The Best or Nothing"
Old 11-30-2017, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 125 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
Originally Posted by c4004matic
The only things I would add are: 1- proximity lights, for example, in our Acura vehicles the inerior lights light up as you approach the car, no fob interaction is needed. 2- automatic seats linked to the fob that move the seats automatically to the memory position, at least make the memory a 1- touch feature. Having to hold the button the entire time is truly retarded. 3- finally.. you could make the owners manaul 1/2 its size by removing all the idiotic warnings. I think most people know that if you drive the car off a cliff there is the possibility of injury....or death. Furthermore, since the manual would be half the size it would fit in the ludicrously small glove compartment.
PS... Not having the fusebox diagrams in the owners manual is almost criminally negligent. Stashing it in a piece of rotting paper in "some fuse box" somewhere and printed in microfilm size is definitely not "The Best or Nothing"
Most of your complaints are caused by US tort lawyers. Thin out the herd of lawyers, the seat will move with a single touch and the manual will shrink.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:15 AM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
In short, Mercedes has too many options to post all of the available fuseboxes in the owner's manual.

For comparison, most new cars being sold today only have 2-3 engine options.

In the meantime, the E-Class has 12 different engines to choose from, 3 different transmissions, and no fewer than 5 different body styles. Making matters more complicated are all of the options available. Not many cars for sale today offer 4 different AC configurations, multiple instrument clusters, multiple types of seat heating, etc. If you want to get into esoteric stuff, auxiliary furnaces, auxiliary horns, 2-way radio power ports, exterior intercom/PAs, TV tuners, electric AC compressors, etc. While most E-Class cars run on 12v electrical systems, some have both 12v and 48v systems, each with their own fuseboxes. Given this variability, the owner's manual would probably need 20-50 pages alone just to cover the various fuseboxes used. Fusebox locations aren't even in the same location depending on equipment installed.

As far as automatic seat movement goes, petee1997 is right -- blame the lawyers for this. At the same time, it might not be a bad thing. I've crushed a few things over the years in my Infiniti with it's Easy Enter/Exit seat that moved as far back as possible when the door was opened.

Re #2: People still listen to radio anymore?
Old 12-01-2017, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 803 Likes on 635 Posts
I listen to the radio whenever I'm in the car. One can set favorites and engage them with a menu click. With voice command one can go to any station by speaking its name or frequency. Stations can also be added to the station list by voice command.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E350e
Originally Posted by c4004matic
I think most people know that if you drive the car off a cliff there is the possibility of injury....or death.