E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Pano Roof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 06:42 AM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
I am actually not that far away fron the uk just across the channel in La belle france. My previous car was a palladium grey estate. The loan car is black and i genuinely found a huge difference in the 2 when parked in the sun. Yes of course air con cools it but it is too hot for longer and of course uses more energy while doing so.
Given the potential for problems it is just not worth it in my opinion but that is just my opinion and others clearly appreciate the looks and light. I suspect more like than dislike but if looking second-hand I would avoid but my car (if it ever arrives&#129320 may be less attractive to the second-hand market as it is one of the few options I did not specify (also have the traditional grille and star on the bonnet which is also less popular!).
Old 10-29-2018, 12:24 PM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
I almost always drive. Never notice the benefit of my pano from up there. My next car, which I'm picking up today, won't have it. Passengers will have to sit in the dark. Candidly, I get more requests to close it from passengers than to open it (the shade, that is).
Old 12-13-2019, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 SL500, '17 GTI
The car doesn't ding when the button is pushed so roll up some tape or a gum wrapper, whatever you can ball up. Wedge the ball into the switch to keep it "pressed".
Old 12-13-2019, 06:34 PM

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
2020 MB E450 Estate, 2019 Kia Niro Touring
Personally, I never use the sunroof. Of any of the last 4 cars I've had that have them. Even with the blind open but sunroof closed, the sunlight is annoying. I can't imagine why the extra light is "awesome". I'd pay extra to NOT have ANY sunroof on my new E450 Wagon. I DO like the look of the black roof with the pano sunroof, and from a looks standpoint only, would consider having it wrapped. But I'd never do it, due to the extra heat it would absorb directly into the cabin (in the sunny South, here).
Old 12-15-2019, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Consumer Reports just published a very interesting investigation into panoramic roofs and their propensity, though rare, to shatter catastrophically. Apparently the most prone brand was Hyundai/KIA. No Mercedes Benz vehicles were reported. The most interesting part was regarding the type of glass used, tempered rather than laminated. There are no regulations covering panoroofs. Manufacturers prefer tempered due to its strength and lower weight. However, its also means that the glass does not maintain its integrity when it fails. Its also a warning that you should always wear your seatbelt given that if the panoroof breaks you could easily be ejected from the vehicle and killed. Check this vid from the w 213 pole crash test which the car aced (of course) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wxlJTlwcPk
We love panoroofs, our still to be delivered GLS 550 will be our third vehicle with one.
That crash test result is impressive.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:43 PM

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model
Originally Posted by Forty9
Extra light in the car is most welcome. Various choices about opening and closing it mean one must read the manual to understand its features. Apparently it doesn't mesh well with cargo boxes on the roof, but we don't have those.
I tinted mine this past summer with ceramic tint to match the windows. I have not closed the inner shade since then. It lets in a lot of light into the car without the heat or glare in the summer. Prior to that the inner shade was always closed

Old 12-20-2019, 08:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport
I have two little ones sitting in the back. My daughter loves looking at the sky thru pano.
The following users liked this post:
Cerave (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 09:58 AM

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
'19 E4504S Wagon.'88 560SL, '19 Ford SD F250 FX4 CCSB Limited, '19 Newmar Essex 4551, 17 MiniS
Like it so far, the dual openings of the interior headliner and the stark black to back glass adds to the styling of the Designo Diamond White metallic E4504S wagon we own. Have considered having the rear roof sheet metal section that follows the roof line and pano glass wrapped (satin or gloss black) but yet to commit.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:18 AM

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
2020 MB E450 Estate, 2019 Kia Niro Touring
Funny, everyone says they like the light produced by the pano roof, but then they also say they prefer the black headliner to the beige (which is what my wagon will have). I think the beige headliner, which I've had in several cars, contributes to a light interior and prefer it. I certainly don't mind that the sunroof produces ambient light, but it's so sunny here in SC I never leave it, or the shade, open.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
I always leave the shade open even in the summer. That's what A/C is for.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:37 PM

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
'19 E4504S Wagon.'88 560SL, '19 Ford SD F250 FX4 CCSB Limited, '19 Newmar Essex 4551, 17 MiniS
Originally Posted by rraisley
Funny, everyone says they like the light produced by the pano roof, but then they also say they prefer the black headliner to the beige (which is what my wagon will have). I think the beige headliner, which I've had in several cars, contributes to a light interior and prefer it. I certainly don't mind that the sunroof produces ambient light, but it's so sunny here in SC I never leave it, or the shade, open.
Agree the lighter headliner is equally nice but the black serves better IMO with black interior leather.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:45 PM

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model
I also have the beige and prefer it to the black. Get it tinted with ceramic tint and you will not believe the difference of the heat dissipation is provides. I always kept my liner closed initial I tinted the roof glass
Old 12-20-2019, 05:53 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes C250 Coupe
The Panoramic Sunroof.................

Personally, I never use the sunroof. Of any of the last 4 cars I've had that have them. Even with the blind open but sunroof closed, the sunlight is annoying. I can't imagine why the extra light is "awesome". I'd pay extra to NOT have ANY sunroof on my new E450 Wagon. I DO like the look of the black roof with the pano sunroof, and from a looks standpoint only, would consider having it wrapped. But I'd never do it, due to the extra heat it would absorb directly into the cabin (in the sunny South, here).
.............is impressive in size - and length. Never opened since CPO purchase Summer 2014. Beautiful little coupe has a lot going for it. Reliability (No issues up to this point. Surprisingly fuel efficient. Fine suspension. Ditto brakes.

Interior spoils my better half (her words). Next summer the extended warranty ends. The car is much like family (but so far it's never asked for money).

ez
Old 12-20-2019, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 771 Likes on 609 Posts
I'm in Florida and use the sun roof every day. I wouldn't have a car without one. When it is cold (like today) with morning temps in the 60's I open the back for venting. By afternoon I have it fully open. This is my first car with a black headliner. I prefer it to the beige headliner. It doesn't really make the car darker when combined with light colored seats.